Grand Cherokee WK2 Off-Road Capability and Reliability

JK4AER

Would love to hear your thoughts on WK2 TH vs Gladiator as those are two I'm considering as well!
They are completely different. The WK2 TH is more comfortable and has better range and fuel economy, but felt less like a Jeep to me since I had a JK and still have a TJ. I was very happy with the WK2 but fell in love with the Gladiator. I would still have the WK2 if the Gladiator hadn't come out. It really just depends on what you need from a vehicle. Let me know if you have more specific questions, I'm sure this response didn't really help much.

JK4AER

They are completely different. The WK2 TH is more comfortable and has better range and fuel economy, but felt less like a Jeep to me since I had a JK and still have a TJ. I was very happy with the WK2 but fell in love with the Gladiator. I would still have the WK2 if the Gladiator hadn't come out. It really just depends on what you need from a vehicle. Let me know if you have more specific questions, I'm sure this response didn't really help much.
Also, the Gladiator will hold its value much better (like Wranglers) than the WK2. I know first hand after trading in a 1 year old WK2. ?

MOguy

Explorer
Why would you point out the shortcomings of vehicle someone is enjoying?

If I were looking at a new vehicle I would appreciate both positive and negative feedback. Information is a good thing. Otherwise why not just go to the manufacture webpage and rely on their commercials. Why even have forums like this?

MOguy

Explorer
Would love to hear your thoughts on WK2 TH vs Gladiator as those are two I'm considering as well!

You are comparing apples and oranges.

I have had a Grand, 4Runner, Wrangler and a few different pickups for off-roading and camping / overlanding. All offer something different. Despite it lack of space FOR ME the Wrangler has been by far my favorite. I have for 18 years and have no plans to get rid of it. The others have come and gone.

Your usage should determine what you want.

Last edited:

gspfunk

We love our 19 Trailhawk. Comfortable on road trips and plenty capable for off-roading when you get there. We spent 9 days in the San Juans (Telluride—Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Engineer, Ophir, Imogene, etc) and took in as much trail time as we could. With the Ridge Grapplers, there wasn’t a single thing I was worried about tackling.

All that said, know your limits as well as your vehicle’s. Don’t tackle The Wall on Poughkeepsie in a WK2, LOL. 401AA38B-D858-4FC3-93E2-A08BFD20CB3F.jpeg1E5A2A3C-7007-4C3F-B569-BC6F8EA6BDB1.jpegF96609F2-7E89-4CF0-9DBC-E4757971D202.jpeg3B4884A6-6233-424D-9515-C8A6BC32EE3A.jpeg
One thing to note: when we switched from Mud to Rock (both in off-road 2), the bottoming out of the suspension was much better (didn’t happen as much).

Grassland

We bought my wife an Altitude package WK2 brand new this summer. 3.6, 8 speed, and coil suspension, not air ride.
In the Rams there have been problems in cold climates with the air suspension, resulting in failure of the system. A friend of mine had a 2012 or 13 Overland and also had trouble with the system, and also had his HIDs fail, along with some other electrical issues. All expensive.
My other friend is a mechanic by trade (not for jeep) and has a 3.6 Laredo on 31.5" duratracs, non air suspension.

For the few times I've been allowed to drive my wife's Jeep, I've seriously considered a Laredo with QTII, 1.5" lift, 32s, and armor as an all around vehicle. My wife's 3.6 Jeep absolutely blows away my 2002 WJ I used to have, which was a 4.7 QT2 on 245/75R16 duratracs and Bilstein shocks. It is better on fuel and more powerful and more comfortable, and while full independent suspension doesn't take cheap mods, it sure as hell is more pleasant to drive on long highway trips than solid front axles.
I'm on the FB wk2 overland group and seeing what guys there do with similar mild builds has me almost sold.

If you live somewhere warm, you probably won't have trouble with the air suspension.
And while I don't want the Hemi, if you plan to tow a lot I'd probably lean that way.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
We bought my wife an Altitude package WK2 brand new this summer. 3.6, 8 speed, and coil suspension, not air ride.
In the Rams there have been problems in cold climates with the air suspension, resulting in failure of the system. A friend of mine had a 2012 or 13 Overland and also had trouble with the system, and also had his HIDs fail, along with some other electrical issues. All expensive.
My other friend is a mechanic by trade (not for jeep) and has a 3.6 Laredo on 31.5" duratracs, non air suspension.

For the few times I've been allowed to drive my wife's Jeep, I've seriously considered a Laredo with QTII, 1.5" lift, 32s, and armor as an all around vehicle. My wife's 3.6 Jeep absolutely blows away my 2002 WJ I used to have, which was a 4.7 QT2 on 245/75R16 duratracs and Bilstein shocks. It is better on fuel and more powerful and more comfortable, and while full independent suspension doesn't take cheap mods, it sure as hell is more pleasant to drive on long highway trips than solid front axles.
I'm on the FB wk2 overland group and seeing what guys there do with similar mild builds has me almost sold.

If you live somewhere warm, you probably won't have trouble with the air suspension.
And while I don't want the Hemi, if you plan to tow a lot I'd probably lean that way.

This is an ancient thread, but just in case someone googling comes across it like I did: The Ram and GC air suspensions are completely different designs. The Ram is an open system, which is the cause of the cold climate issues. The GC is a closed system, and has no issues particular to cold climates.

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Yes, an old thread and I’ll jump in too. We have a 16 Overland diesel WK2, and it’s now equivalent to the Trail Rated package since I added the skid plates. Quadra-drive II with the rear ELSD, Selec-Trac dial, and Offroad adventure II package. It originally came with 20” wheels but 3 years ago I changed to 18s for better offroad performance.

104,000 miles and it has been solid. The air suspension works great and is perfect for us since this is my daily driver and I put about 5% of the miles on trail, 95% on pavement. On the trail the WK2 is very capable, but it’s definitely no rock crawler.

On the highway and the open road the WK2 really shines. It is comfortable and handles well. This thing can cruise at 100mph all day long (out here in the western USA we have wide open spaces and roads where you can see for miles straight ahead and out to the sides).

This is my first Jeep and I’d buy another in a heartbeat. But I plan to keep this for 500,000 miles and more.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Yes, an old thread and I’ll jump in too. We have a 16 Overland diesel WK2, and it’s now equivalent to the Trail Rated package since I added the skid plates. Quadra-drive II with the rear ELSD, Selec-Trac dial, and Offroad adventure II package. It originally came with 20” wheels but 3 years ago I changed to 18s for better offroad performance.

104,000 miles and it has been solid. The air suspension works great and is perfect for us since this is my daily driver and I put about 5% of the miles on trail, 95% on pavement. On the trail the WK2 is very capable, but it’s definitely no rock crawler.

On the highway and the open road the WK2 really shines. It is comfortable and handles well. This thing can cruise at 100mph all day long (out here in the western USA we have wide open spaces and roads where you can see for miles straight ahead and out to the sides).

This is my first Jeep and I’d buy another in a heartbeat. But I plan to keep this for 500,000 miles and more.

That's fantastic to hear. I'm looking at replacing my aging JKUR with a Trailhawk.

It looks like I can't option the diesel in any trim level though, which is disappointing. I'm not sure if it was fully discontinued in the GC, or if its a Canada specific discontinuation.

CCH

Adventurer
For what it's worth, and again noting the age of the thread, my wife's 2014 GJ Limited with air suspension and Hemi is going strong at just shy of 100k. While it is probably our most capable off-road vehicle, it mainly sees highway use. To date, we have seen no problems with the air suspension. It's starting to have some ticky tacky issues like the passenger side window being in sole control of the driver and the AC sounds like someone breathing on their death bed. Other than that it has been solid.

Grassland

This is an ancient thread, but just in case someone googling comes across it like I did: The Ram and GC air suspensions are completely different designs. The Ram is an open system, which is the cause of the cold climate issues. The GC is a closed system, and has no issues particular to cold climates.
Interesting. Not what I was told, but that's good to hear.
I don't recall what went wrong with my friends air suspension on his Overland, but the price to repair it was enough for us to get a cheaper trim sans air suspension.
My biggest regret is the Altitude does not come with any skid plates here (don't know about US vehicles)
I've been looking at Six Monkeys stuff, but haven't pulled the trigger. With the pandemic there is only 16000km on the Jeep. I suppose now would be the time to sell the 20s and like new street tires to get 18s and mild ATs

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Since this thread has been revised let me just say my 2014 WK2 Overland edition daily driver just passed 229,000 miles and tomorrow I will take it on 900 mile roundtrip excursion. Whether on road, dirt, yucky stuff or snow these things simply perform and drive so comfortably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles