Grand Canyoneering

jgaz

Adventurer
Ascending New Hance sucks. Hard.
Well, I’m glad that three of us agree about ascending the New Hance. I’m always some what cautious about giving my honest opinion about a trail when posting online.
Conditions can vary from season to season let alone year to year. Not to mention a person’s experience.
I‘m always expecting someone to post a comment like, “ It really wasn’t that bad”.
Its kind of a YMMV type thing.

@TripLeader this is the best documented canyon tread I think I’ve ever seen. Well done.
Question: Did the rafters offer you a beer? In my experience it’s somewhat a tradition.

shade

Well, I’m glad that three of us agree about ascending the New Hance. I’m always some what cautious about giving my honest opinion about a trail when posting online.
Conditions can vary from season to season let alone year to year. Not to mention a person’s experience.
I‘m always expecting someone to post a comment like, “ It really wasn’t that bad”.

@TripLeader this is the best documented canyon tread I think I’ve ever seen. Well done.
Question: Did the rafters offer you a beer? In my experience it’s somewhat a tradition.
If I was very fit or much younger, it may not have been so bad, but in the context of GC, I'd say New Hance definitely falls in the "for experienced desert hikers only" category. Andrew Skurka could probably run it down and back in a morning.

Iirc, I started with 6L at the river, which was enough, just. If I traveled faster with greater ease, I might need less water. From what I remember, the elevation really started affecting me in the afternoon, more than the Spring heat, which wasn't that bad. I can cruise along for hours at 2-3 mph, but not on that kind of incline.

I recall the boaters offering some snacks, but I can't remember if beer was offered at Cardenas Creek. I remember the rats being large, numerous, and bold.

TripLeader

Explorer
@TripLeader this is the best documented canyon thread I think I’ve ever seen. Well done.
Thanks.

No, there was no offer of beer. I recall they gave us odd looks, like they did not expect to see backpackers. Kind of like the look from tourists on the rim, but not as surprised.

GB_Willys_2014

Are you familiar with Todd's guide. He provides good trail detail, but proves your point about difficulty.

I use him as a reference for trail information, but completely discount his time/difficulty ratings. Maybe this guy is some sort of uber-gifted professional athlete type, but I could not keep pace with him; maybe 30 years ago ...

If I was very fit or much younger, it may not have been so bad, but in the context of GC, I'd say New Hance definitely falls in the "for experienced desert hikers only" category. Andrew Skurka could probably run it down and back in a morning.

Iirc, I started with 6L at the river, which was enough, just. If I traveled faster with greater ease, I might need less water. From what I remember, the elevation really started affecting me in the afternoon, more than the Spring heat, which wasn't that bad. I can cruise along for hours at 2-3 mph, but not on that kind of incline.

I recall the boaters offering some snacks, but I can't remember if beer was offered at Cardenas Creek. I remember the rats being large, numerous, and bold.

2 - 3 mph in the Canyon is FAST.

My last full day, before my accident, we averaged ~1.5 over 12.5 miles.

Yeah, weight, weight, weight ... or the lack of it.

Youth and fitness vs experience and wisdom reminds me of the David Mamet qoute:

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

:)

Thanks.

No, there was no offer of beer. I recall they gave us odd looks, like they did not expect to see backpackers. Kind of like the look from tourists on the rim, but not as surprised.

No beer???

Disappointing to hear that. Except for Phantom Ranch, I never met rafters in the Canyon. But the offer of beer is legendary.

jgaz

Adventurer
Are you familiar with Todd's guide. He provides good trail detail, but proves your point about difficulty.

I use him as a reference for trail information, but completely discount his time/difficulty ratings. Maybe this guy is some sort of uber-gifted professional athlete type, but I could not keep pace with him; maybe 30 years ago ..

I’m not familiar with Todd’s guide. I’ll check it out.

He sounds a lot like Michael Kelsey. Great info but the man must be a hiking machine. Ive used his info for several Utah hikes but totally disregard his time estimates.

shade

"The New Hance Trail is described by the park as possibly the most difficult established trail on the South Rim of the canyon."
Too bad you can't find that on a patch.

That guy's lucky. I wonder how bad off he was after that long, since I doubt he had enough food. If he had water, he had to go to the river for it, or slurp up contaminated water on the trail, if he could even find it.

Last edited:

shade

Beautiful pictures! I'm planning on going to the Grand Canyon on June. It will be my first time. I cant wait to see the scenery with my own eyes and I can't wait to get my hands on some of those national park magnets.
Welcome to ExPo! ?

GCNP is caught up in the COVID-19 shutdowns, as are many other national parks. June is far enough away that things may be back to normal, but it's worth keeping up on current conditions in the event you have to change your plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles