Grand Canyoneering

GB_Willys_2014

Part 10 [To the Rim!]

The next day was our hike out. It's about 5 miles of hiking from Indian Garden to the top.
View attachment 555269
-----
View attachment 555270
-----
View attachment 555271
-----
Plateau Point is where the trail ends in the center of the photo. The cluster of Cottonwood trees along the trail is Indian Garden Campground.
View attachment 555272
-----
View attachment 555273
-----
View attachment 555274
-----
View attachment 555275
-----
And we were to the top. It was time for a group selfie. (Please excuse the outdated camera on the tripod--it was 2007, after all.) My friend had warned me that we would get strange looks when we appeared on the rim from tourists who had arrived with no knowledge of the hiking trails. The guy in the background is probably more confused about why someone would use a 6 inch tripod while wearing a 50 pound pack.
View attachment 555276
-----
That was the trip. The drive back home was long, especially compared to the drive there, which has that excitement & anticipation factor about it.

Thanks for reading! I'll try to post a couple of other Grand Canyon backpacking trips in the next few weeks.
Fantastic! Looking forward to it.

You have a talent with photography, so expecting lots of pictures. :)

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 1 [Intro]

We made plans and returned to the canyon in the Fall. This trip would be "Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim." We'd be a crew of four again, but this time with one new person, and the rest of us being experienced desert hikers.

We arrived after the all-night drive. We hit some of the overlooks on the South Rim.
007.JPG
-----
Is that precipitation in the forecast? We would find out the next day...
004.JPG
-----
009.JPG
-----
069.JPG
-----
079.JPG
-----
071.JPG

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 2 [All Along the Watchtower]

The continuation of taking in the sights to see on our first day. We drove out to Desert View Watchtower, the tiny point in the distance.
081.JPG
-----
It's one of numerous Grand Canyon structures designed by Mary Colter, and was built in the 1930s.
023.JPG
-----
The view from there.
027.JPG
-----
Looking up and down inside the tower.
051.JPG
-----
050.JPG
-----
057.JPG
-----
056.JPG
-----
And we hit our motel room after all that, finally calling it a day after driving all night. The next morning we awoke to this scene and prepared for our hike with nervous apprehension.
087.JPG

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 4 [The Snowy Descent, Continued]

The snow made for some memorable views.
111.JPG
-----
We had all packed micro-spikes or other traction aids because of caution for the snow. We did not end up needing them. The temperature rose as we lowered into the canyon.
112.JPG
-----
113.JPG
-----
118.JPG
-----
122.JPG
-----
130.JPG
-----
136.JPG

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 6 [#33]

One of my friends pointed out a bird circling overhead. It looked like a vulture on first glance. But it was bigger and not the same. He knew of California Condors to be in the canyon, and correctly identified it as one.
230.JPG
-----
237.JPG
-----
238.JPG
-----
239.JPG
-----
We were able to red the tag number on our photos: 33. We looked into it later. It was a female who had been born in a zoo and released into the wild.
-----
Curiosity got to me and I just looked up 33.
----
She was born in 1996 and released at the Grand Canyon that same year. It looks like she had become a first time mother in Sept. 2008, just two months before we saw her. From a 2008 article I found on the internet:

08 update.JPG
-----
A 2012 article reported she and a partner built a nest below Grandeur Point in Spring 2012:

12 update.JPG
-----
A later 2012 article reported she had a baby that year:

12 update july.JPG
-----
Unfortunately, I found 33's death was reported in Spring 2013:

Capture.JPG

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 7 [Farther Down the South Kaibab]

It sure looked like a two-story outhouse.
242.JPG
-----
246.JPG
-----
256.JPG
-----
Bright Angel Campground, our destination for the night.
260.JPG
-----
262.JPG
-----
Rafters taking a break at the Black Bridge.
265.JPG
-----
268.JPG
-----
274.JPG
-----
282.JPG

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 8 [The Black Bridge]

It was nearly time to cross the Colorado River.
297.JPG
-----
299.JPG
-----
302.JPG
-----
313.JPG
-----
316a.jpg
-----
The history of the bridge: This site was initially serviced by a ferry. A cable car with a one-mule capacity was installed in 1907. The bridge was constructed in 1928. The builders worked at night to avoid daytime heat. The builders had to carry all 8 of the main 550 foot long cables down on their own backs, not by mule.
329.JPG
-----
325.JPG

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 9 [Bright Angel]

We were at Bright Angel Campground soon after crossing the bridge. We made our camp and explored around the area.
333.JPG
-----
We visited the grave of Rees B. Griffiths.
343.JPG
-----
342.JPG
-----
351.JPG
-----
The first day of our backpacking trip was over. We watched the moon rise over the canyon before going to sleep.
367.JPG

shade

The condor pictures are fantastic.
They are, especially considering he wasn't using a hi-zoot DSLR with a super telephoto lens. Very steady hands were needed to get those shots.

I was just talking about the Texas Toast. I hope that makes the cut.

Last edited:

TripLeader

Explorer
Part 10 [Upward on the North Kaibab]

We headed out on the North Kaibab Trail the next morning.
391.JPG
-----
That stretch of the trail took us through Box Canyon.
403.JPG
-----
409.JPG
-----
Our destination was Cottonwood Campground, with a side trip to Ribbon Falls.
418.JPG
-----
422.JPG
-----
We caught a glimpse of it, but we still weren't there yet.
428.JPG
-----
429.JPG
-----
439.JPG
-----
449.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94