Gramps 2.0 - Gen3 Montero Budget Build

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I believe those fasteners should be "slid" into place on the part that was removed first (should be a slot to receive it), then line everything up and it should snap in.

Soupy

I believe those fasteners should be "slid" into place on the part that was removed first (should be a slot to receive it), then line everything up and it should snap in.

yup, did exactly that today. Had a hell of a time trying to pry them out until a found a video that suggested a fork... Worked perfectly! Every single one popped right out with no damage.

IMG_20200703_135458.jpgIMG_20200703_143311.jpg

Soupy

Battery was showing 10.9 volts when the car is off. Big yikes. Surprisingly, the car still started, just slower than usual. So I replaced it with a Duralast Platinum AGM. Pretty sure its just about the cheapest AGM you can get that still has a 3 year warranty. Also picked up a new negative brass terminal because the old one was beat to ********. Eventually I'll replace the positive one too but I'll wait until I do the second battery install. I still need to replace the rubber part of the tray too, the grommet hole where the tie down goes into ripped.

I also replaced the starter at the same time for good measure. I went with a carquest reman from a montero sport based on info from this thread: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/gen-3-montero-starter-issues-with-an-answer.192604/. No idea why the sport starter is the one that fits, but it was an exact match and has worked perfectly the past few days. I won't go into specifics because its already pretty well explained in that thread.

IMG_20200713_120210.jpgIMG_20200707_192549.jpg

Soupy

Since I'm out of funds at the moment I've decided to start keeping track of how much I spend fixing and upgrading. If anything, it'll be a nice maintenance record for the next owner.

Next most urgent fix is timing belt/water pump since I have no record of when the last one was done. But that'll have to wait till the next paycheck.

money.JPG

Inyo_man

@Soupy you can still buy and I would recommend to buy a Deno rebuilt starter vs a carquest reman.

Since I'm still rolling with the original starter and alternator (now over 223k miles), I was looking into purchasing the two parts...

Denso (remanufactured) starter: 280-4169, $117.99 through Summit

The rig is looking great, Soupy!
Cheers

Soupy

Since I'm still rolling with the original starter and alternator (now over 223k miles), I was looking into purchasing the two parts...

Denso (remanufactured) starter: 280-4169, $117.99 through Summit

The rig is looking great, Soupy!
Cheers

Good info, thanks!

Soupy

Just realized I never posted pictures of the install of the new transfercase switches and crossmember bushings. I keep forgetting to take pictures during and so I end up taking half-assed ones afterwards. I'll get better I swear lol. I ended up the job myself because I had time and wanted to save some money. A few notes: I decided not to disconnect the driveshaft mostly out of laziness, which only lets you drop the crossmember a few inches w/o doing damage. This makes the job exponentially harder than if you just disconnect the driveshaft. Ya live and learn.

IMG_20200705_105115.jpgIMG_20200705_105125.jpgIMG_20200705_122045.jpgIMG_20200705_122407.jpgIMG_20200705_122420.jpg

Aside from that, everything went well. I'm still getting beeping/flashing, but only in 4llc now so I'm gonna drain and fill all the fluids (trans, rear diff, transfer case) and see if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_122045.jpg
    IMG_20200705_122045.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 10

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
You may also need to check the vacuum diaphragm on the front axle disconnect for movement or leaks. I had to replace mine due to a tear in the outer section. The system also usually needs to be exercised, especially if it wasn't used much.

You'll find some more troubleshooting tips here: Pajero Blinking 4WD

I'll send a PM about the headrests

Inyo_man

I'm gonna drain and fill all the fluids (trans, rear diff, transfer case) and see if that helps.

While you're under the rig, you'll want to lube the shift rod on the freewheel assembly.
Check out page 26-37 in the below link. When you're under the front end, you'll see a dust boot. On the driver's side there is a small tab on the end of the boot. Use this to pull the boot back to expose the shift rod. Apply some grease and return the dust boot to its original location.

(GL-4 in the transfer case, GL-5 in the diffs., MM SP-III in the transmission.)
Cheers

Soupy

You may also need to check the vacuum diaphragm on the front axle disconnect for movement or leaks. I had to replace mine due to a tear in the outer section. The system also usually needs to be exercised, especially if it wasn't used much.

You'll find some more troubleshooting tips here: Pajero Blinking 4WD

I'll send a PM about the headrests
While you're under the rig, you'll want to lube the shift rod on the freewheel assembly.
Check out page 26-37 in the below link. When you're under the front end, you'll see a dust boot. On the driver's side there is a small tab on the end of the boot. Use this to pull the boot back to expose the shift rod. Apply some grease and return the dust boot to its original location.

(GL-4 in the transfer case, GL-5 in the diffs., MM SP-III in the transmission.)
Cheers

Awesome, thanks guys. I should have some time next week to look at this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles