GPS Tracker for Theft

viesail

*Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this topic*

Can anyone recommend a GPS Tracker device for theft recovery? Ideally one that’s 12v, as it will be in an older truck. Considering using an old iPhone and the share my location function. Also would like to wire the unit to a small solar panel, so the device wouldn’t pull from the battery.

VanWaLife

I've used a number of different Tkstar trackers. They are usb rechargable, not 12V. I leave mine plugged into a switched usb outlet, so it doesn't run the battery down, but you could probably also get a little solar panel with USB output and plug it into that. What I like about the tkstar trackers is that you provide your own sim, so aren't locked into their service. But most of the ones that come with service built-in don't cost much annually, so really not saving a bundle there. All my old Tkstar units were 3g and stopped working when I replaced the sims as 3g support is fading out. I have a Google Fi phone plan that gives me an unlimited number of data-only sims. I was able to get a new Tkstar 4g tracker that works with the Google Fi data only sim; at least the app works, texting to the device does not work. The only trick there was that I had to use a different sim to set it up; you have to use the texting capabilities to set the apn for it to work with the app. Pretty happy with the set up now that it is configured. The app is a little clunky, but seems reliable.
Here's the one I have now:
It looks like they've come out with a larger battery 4g version:

viesail

I've used a number of different Tkstar trackers. They are usb rechargable, not 12V. I leave mine plugged into a switched usb outlet, so it doesn't run the battery down, but you could probably also get a little solar panel with USB output and plug it into that. What I like about the tkstar trackers is that you provide your own sim, so aren't locked into their service. But most of the ones that come with service built-in don't cost much annually, so really not saving a bundle there. All my old Tkstar units were 3g and stopped working when I replaced the sims as 3g support is fading out. I have a Google Fi phone plan that gives me an unlimited number of data-only sims. I was able to get a new Tkstar 4g tracker that works with the Google Fi data only sim; at least the app works, texting to the device does not work. The only trick there was that I had to use a different sim to set it up; you have to use the texting capabilities to set the apn for it to work with the app. Pretty happy with the set up now that it is configured. The app is a little clunky, but seems reliable.
Here's the one I have now:
It looks like they've come out with a larger battery 4g version:
Thanks for that tip! I’ll check this model out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The SPOT Trace is designed exactly for this, although it's a satellite tracker with an annual subscription.

On the cheap(er), don't people use those Apple tags for this?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Only work where iPhones are nearby
Just to clarify, AirTags work as long there's any enabled iPhone around and do not have to be near yours necessarily. The way these devices (not just Apple, but stuff from Ring, Samsung, Google, etc.) work to form a global mesh is a serious privacy issue.

Last edited:

VanWaLife

Any real thief carries a gps and cell blocker.
Well I don't know how common these are for your average thief of mid 80's Japanese steel. My thinking is guys after these rigs will be on the toothless / teenage side of the car thief continuum, not the international criminal mastermind set that is probably more focused on late model G-Wagens and Land Rovers. Nevertheless, a GPS tracker alone is probably not a robust security system. The 80's Toyotas can be rendered undrivable by breaking the circuit feeding the igniter. Coupling a device that achieves that with a locking hood and a GPS tracker makes the thief that can successfully steal the rig someone that is going to tow it away and use a cell jammer. That's a lot of effort for something with a questionable market value.

F800

This is a great question. As I’m hitting the road for 6 weeks in the coming months I’ve also thought about this. I think I, going to go with the air tag option, along with parking as smart as possible. I figure the AirTag is better than nothing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles