GPS recommendations for seniors

Lee_N

A tablet with Avenza maps (these are USGS digital paper scans). No routing, just a dot on a "paper" map, alots of free and historic maps along with all the parks and such.
Next is OnX where he just clicks "offline maps" and does it 10sq mile squares and it draws a green lined square on anything you already downloaded.
It can do topo, or a hybrid of topo overlaid on sat images (which is really nice to know if there is really water/green in that wash)
GAIA would be the next easiest to use as it will let you select a variety of map sources including historic maps
Best is if someone helps him download (only needed once) and gives him a run through. Depending on where in Utah he is I would be happy to meet up.
I will help him set something up but thanks for the offer. I'm just trying to find an easy to use solution. I created myself a clean Gaia account (I already subscribe) and am starting to lean that way. The free account allows the Gaia base maps, the topo maps, and aerial maps, which is all he is looking for. Running Gaia on his laptop, he could do all his reconnaissance on the topos. Once he's decided where to explore, he could download the appropriate maps onto a tablet he can take out exploring.

WVI

Adventurer
I'm a senior and keep trying to decide which way I wish to go with this.
Will these apps and such run on an older apple laptop using a gps dongle?
For a while i was using DeLorme Streets and Trips or some such. It was great.
My buddy gave me a Garmin 62(?) handheld that I can't update or do anything with as I don't have an actual computer of any kind.

Photobug

I will help him set something up but thanks for the offer. I'm just trying to find an easy to use solution. I created myself a clean Gaia account (I already subscribe) and am starting to lean that way. The free account allows the Gaia base maps, the topo maps, and aerial maps, which is all he is looking for. Running Gaia on his laptop, he could do all his reconnaissance on the topos. Once he's decided where to explore, he could download the appropriate maps onto a tablet he can take out exploring.

I have a subscription to GAIA and while the learning curve is a bit tough, and I am computer savvy, it is worth it and also worth the subscription fee.

The setup is a bit of a pain. However, if you are willing to do the setup for him, it is possible the interface would be even easier than Garmin for your friend to work with. If you get an Android tablet and set it up with an SD card you can store all the data on the card and download everything your friend needs at one time, so he won't ever need to do the dirty work of needing to download or setup the maps.

Consider the upgrade to the subscription, the layering function is nice to have. Each map provides some different info and being able to put multiple maps together can allow you to display a ton of info on one page.

Photobug

My buddy gave me a Garmin 62(?) handheld that I can't update or do anything with as I don't have an actual computer of any kind.

I don't know which ones would run on a laptop.

I think laptops are a thing of the past in a way, although I am typing on one now. The majority of the configurations are to be run on a pad of some sort. For instance GAIA: you need a home computer or laptop to download and configure your setup, choose your maps, etc. Then the info is downloaded to your pad of choice either Ipad or Android Pad. If you don't have a computer or someone with one to help, you might be better off going with an updated Garmin product.

FYI one of the reasons a laptop is impractical in this situation is the size and bulk of a laptop if you are driving offroad. An 8 or 10 " pad is much easier to mount in a place that can be way more useful.

Reactions: WVI

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
As far as I can tell it's not possible to use Gaia in real time on my Mac using a USB dongle. The limitation is with Gaia. It's running on a website, not an native application, and while the browser (for example Safari) could I suppose use Location Services the Gaia web app doesn't attempt to pull that data in. There's other ways to put yourself on a live map with macOS using a GPS receiver, but it does not appear possible with Gaia.

A little “pitch” for Scenic Map: Pay once, download once (no computer needed), and a regional map (several states worth) with many (but not all) roads and trails is always there for you on your device.

OllieChristopher

As some have already mentioned Garmin is a very user friendly platform. And with the addition of BaseCamp downloaded on your iPad or computer, Mapping out adventures are very simple. Much easier than the complicated Gaia format. BaseCamp is no longer upgradable due to the new Garmin Explore. But still a good choice when compared to other navigation options.

Laps

Thinking as a senior, I'm 69, but being very tech savvy, my opinion is that if he has trouble with Garmin Overlander then any other electronic device will be very confusing. And in addition the GaiaGps (of which I am a subscriber) will be even more daunting. As mentioned by Photobug above in his post, I would recommend that he stick with paper maps, especially Delorme and Benchmade and he can pick up the MVUM maps from any National Forest ranger station in the area he is visiting. And Topo maps are available from the USGS.gov site. I assimilated into the "tech world" at a early age and those who didn't will have an almost insurmountable hurtle to jump. And besides, paper maps in those formats should be still a highly recommended 'device' for navigating regardless of the modern approaches.

Last edited:

Zuber

Ditch any touch screen! The UI is terrible. Get him something with buttons.

Like the Garmin 276cX, smallest chart plotter. Dedicated buttons to zoom, pan, drop a pin. Don't pay for Garmin's lame base map, compile and download the OpenSource base map and put it on a small card in the back. Just be sure to format the card in 16 bit.
This is the more expensive solution, maybe $450-550, but it will out last most of us seniors. Once you've tried the zoom and pan on this unit, you'll be hooked. That all said, the biggest advantage is you can zoom out 5x beyond any touch screen and still see all the elements of a map. It doesn't drop out map details until zoomed way, way out.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Ditch any touch screen! The UI is terrible. Get him something with buttons.

Like the Garmin 276cX, smallest chart plotter. Dedicated buttons to zoom, pan, drop a pin. Don't pay for Garmin's lame base map, compile and download the OpenSource base map and put it on a small card in the back. Just be sure to format the card in 16 bit.
This is the more expensive solution, maybe $450-550, but it will out last most of us seniors. Once you've tried the zoom and pan on this unit, you'll be hooked. That all said, the biggest advantage is you can zoom out 5x beyond any touch screen and still see all the elements of a map. It doesn't drop out map details until zoomed way, way out.

To each his own. I have a box full of GPS units. The ones I use are the touch screen units. To me, MUCH easier and faster to use. When you drop a pin and then need to assign a specific name to it for future use, how long does that take you to type out a name if you don't have a touch screen. How long does it take you to assign a name to a saved track? I'm nearly 80 years old now, my hands shake but I can still name my tracks and waypoints in a tenth of the time on a touch screen versus using buttons to find/select each letter and number.

Zuber

To each his own. I have a box full of GPS units. The ones I use are the touch screen units. To me, MUCH easier and faster to use. When you drop a pin and then need to assign a specific name to it for future use, how long does that take you to type out a name if you don't have a touch screen. How long does it take you to assign a name to a saved track? I'm nearly 80 years old now, my hands shake but I can still name my tracks and waypoints in a tenth of the time on a touch screen versus using buttons to find/select each letter and number.

Ya got me there, I don't assign names using this gps. I do it later in the awesome (not) Garmin Basecamp. I mostly use the 276cX when riding a motorcycle, touch screen means stopping, buttons means keep riding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles