Gotta a chance to buy a LX450

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 Lexus LX 450. White/tan. Loaded. Been sitting at least 5 years as the previous owner did not like the poor fuel mileage parked the truck and started driving another vehicle they owned. No exterior damage on vehicle just dirty from sitting. Interior is complete just dirty with no rips or tears. As the old saying goes "Ran good when parked" which seems to be the theme with everything I have purchased lately. Assume mileage at 200K+ as I am not sure of exact mileage.

The truck is priced at $4500 to me.

Should I buy it???

nickw

Adventurer
As others are surely going to say - you'll need to look at it and give it a once over in person to answer that question. Seems priced well, but mileage, paint condition, mechanical condition, deferred maintenance all play into pricing....it may be priced right if all those things are lacking, you can easily be into this for another $5k+ just to baseline it, which may be worthwhile but isn't chump change for many folks.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Went ahead and bought the Lexus LX450. 174K miles on the truck instead of the over 200+K I originally thought. Been sitting longtime. Never wrecked, original paint, slider roof, leather interior in good condition just dirty like the outside from sitting. Just ordered a bunch of service parts from The Rock.

Time to git "Started" gittin it "Runnin"!

Attachments

• 20210727_105136.jpg
    20210727_105136.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 20210727_104841.jpg
    20210727_104841.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 72

MOAK

Adventurer
Congrats, you got that for a steal. Be careful using Rock Auto for things like control arm bushings or steering components. Use 555, steering links and oem bushings everywhere else whenever possible. If not possible contact suppliers that specialize in Landcruisers. They will not “ steer” you wrong.

tplane2

Congrats, you got that for a steal. Be careful using Rock Auto for things like control arm bushings or steering components. Use 555, steering links and oem bushings everywhere else whenever possible. If not possible contact suppliers that specialize in Landcruisers. They will not “ steer” you wrong.

^^ This. Buy OEM parts for 80s. Aftermarket just doesn't cut it.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Been workin on the LX 450.

Pressure washing the exterior and cleaning the interior took 8+ hours. It was NASTY!!!

Pics below give an example of the interior before and after. Looks great inside now. No real issues with the leather seating. Cleaning and feeding the leather hides sure does help. Razor bland on the glass to clean it, scrub the carpet, treat the weather stripping and more. Still have to clay, buff and polish the exterior to make it look nice and repaint the front and rear metal bumpers. The truck has never been wrecked and never had any paintwork. Should polish nice and look good when done.

Spent a lot time under the hood.

Pulled the plugs and sprayed a little fluid in the cylinders and let set overnight. Manual cranked the engine over by hand. Went to crank with the starter and the starter Bendix will not engage. Time to pull the starter! Starter sent to our local starter/alternator guy.

In the meantime I spent time under the replacing most everything including new battery, oil & filters, air filters, radiator fluid, radiator cap, thermostat, radiator and heater hoses, washer fluid, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, PCV valve, front and rear diff fluids, transfer case fluids, F&R wiper blades, replacing 1 cracked glass headlight assembly with used off EBAY. Still need to do the brake fluid. Will git to that when the truck starts, stops, runs and drives!

Hope to PU the starter from the rebuilder this weekend. Ya I know why not git a new one. I'm supporting the local guy in business for years here.

The matching Michelin tires are only 16 years old. Ya'll think they will be OK??? ;)

Below is are some pics of the 450 now that interior is cleaned. One of the rear seat before cleaning and one after. Pretty much is representative of the rest of the interior. The after pic was before "feeding" the leather. The seats look MUCH BETTER than the pic shows!

Thanks for the suggestions about buying Toyota parts. That's what I have been doing for Toyota unique things so far such as the new radiator cap, PCV and thermostat.

More to come when we see if this Heap starts, runs and drives!!!

Attachments

• 20210802_183229.jpg
    20210802_183229.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210802_183235.jpg
    20210802_183235.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210806_160149.jpg
    20210806_160149.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210806_160218.jpg
    20210806_160218.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210806_160142.jpg
    20210806_160142.jpg
    700.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210806_160238.jpg
    20210806_160238.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210806_160201.jpg
    20210806_160201.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210806_160134.jpg
    20210806_160134.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

MOAK

Adventurer
Been workin on the LX 450.

Pressure washing the exterior and cleaning the interior took 8+ hours. It was NASTY!!!

Pics below give an example of the interior before and after. Looks great inside now. No real issues with the leather seating. Cleaning and feeding the leather hides sure does help. Razor bland on the glass to clean it, scrub the carpet, treat the weather stripping and more. Still have to clay, buff and polish the exterior to make it look nice and repaint the front and rear metal bumpers. The truck has never been wrecked and never had any paintwork. Should polish nice and look good when done.

Spent a lot time under the hood.

Pulled the plugs and sprayed a little fluid in the cylinders and let set overnight. Manual cranked the engine over by hand. Went to crank with the starter and the starter Bendix will not engage. Time to pull the starter! Starter sent to our local starter/alternator guy.

In the meantime I spent time under the replacing most everything including new battery, oil & filters, air filters, radiator fluid, radiator cap, thermostat, radiator and heater hoses, washer fluid, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, PCV valve, front and rear diff fluids, transfer case fluids, F&R wiper blades, replacing 1 cracked glass headlight assembly with used off EBAY. Still need to do the brake fluid. Will git to that when the truck starts, stops, runs and drives!

Hope to PU the starter from the rebuilder this weekend. Ya I know why not git a new one. I'm supporting the local guy in business for years here.

The matching Michelin tires are only 16 years old. Ya'll think they will be OK??? ;)

Below is are some pics of the 450 now that interior is cleaned. One of the rear seat before cleaning and one after. Pretty much is representative of the rest of the interior. The after pic was before "feeding" the leather. The seats look MUCH BETTER than the pic shows!

Thanks for the suggestions about buying Toyota parts. That's what I have been doing for Toyota unique things so far such as the new radiator cap, PCV and thermostat.

More to come when we see if this Heap starts, runs and drives!!!
That steering wheel is in excellent shape. The previous owner must have used driving gloves. Nice job cleaning it all up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles