goTenna Mesh

dreadlocks

So I was bouncing around Wikipedia stuck in the quagmire of untangling interesting information when I ran across a footnote on the MURS page regarding this company:

Anyone heard of these before? They operate on the 915Mhz ISM band which is pretty much globally available.. I could see something like this gaining favor in my party as my kids get older and get cell phones.. Things like backpacking, hunting, concerts/festivals with ******** coverage due to number of people, lots of overlap with potential GMRS adopters and more technologically robust in comparison to FM voice since it has messaging/meshing/location sharing.

Keeping these in my wish list for when I got some money burning a hole in my pocket.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Not that it's quite the same thing but there's a pretty significant effort that has been done to implement amateur radio mesh networks using old WiFi routers. The advantage of course is being hams we can use more power, amplifiers, any antennas we want. You know the drill.

sonoronos

Usually broken down on the side of the road
I guess some folks have been trying to up the range on these things using better antennas:

I didn't know that goTenna was marketing a new product, but apparently they have a "goTenna Pro" which they are marketing for tactical comms plus some fancy android app.

I also remember an old story about Toyota getting some publicity using some kind of vehicle-based mesh network in Australia. It may have just been for publicity as I don't remember it going anywhere.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I guess some folks have been trying to up the range on these things using better antennas:

Interesting. There are commercial companies that do this already.

I didn't know that goTenna was marketing a new product, but apparently they have a "goTenna Pro" which they are marketing for tactical comms plus some fancy android app.
The goTenna Pro appears to be a Part 90 device so it will require a license for the frequency/frequencies you use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94