Got Trash, How do you pack it out?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well Adventurers,
I took the Chaser out for a quick overnight in the desert. Had a great time. The problem was I did not account for the trash. I had no bags so we ended up using a rubbermaid container with no lid. The problem was the bees liked the food, water and soda cans. I always pack it out. Just thought I would ask if you had any good ideas on how to store it and where. Thanks for the input.

Justin
2003 Jeep Rubicon
2006 Adventure Trailer Chaser #15

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I always carry a box of big black lawn bags on camping trips, and I usually will have at least 1 or 2 in the truck at all times, in case I feel I need to pick up everyone elses trash out on the trail. If bugs are bad, keep it out side of camp a bit and tie it up mostly, so the bees are kept a bit at bay. Time to go home, throw it in so it is easy to get to, and toss it in the first dumpster I come across, so the trash does not have to make it all the way back home if it does not need to.

seth_js

Explorer
datrupr said:
I always carry a box of big black lawn bags on camping trips, and I usually will have at least 1 or 2 in the truck at all times, in case I feel I need to pick up everyone elses trash out on the trail. If bugs are bad, keep it out side of camp a bit and tie it up mostly, so the bees are kept a bit at bay. Time to go home, throw it in so it is easy to get to, and toss it in the first dumpster I come across, so the trash does not have to make it all the way back home if it does not need to.

x2

kcowyo

ExPo Original
When I stop at a grocery store to stock up on my way out of town for a trip, I save all of the plastic bags and use them for trash bags. I hang it off my receiver hitch outside, so it doesn't smell up the "Condo." Plus it makes it more accessible if others camping with me might need a trash bag. In bear country, I follow the guidelines for food and trash storage.

I also keep a roll of Hefty Bags onboard but I haven't needed them yet. It helps to crush any cans and pull the bags out of any boxed items and toss the boxes before heading for camp. I try to downsize any redundant food containers (like cereal, cracker and Diet Coke boxes) before leaving town, so I don't have to deal with it on the trail. I've also finally learned to bring cans instead of bottles on the trail.

When travelling, I tie the bag up tight or double bag it and store it in the Condo, preferably in the cooler or ice box so it doesn't stink up the joint. Then I dump it at the first petrol station I see.

:beer:

Attachments

• Utah 466.jpg
    Utah 466.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 69

photoleif

Observer
i can stash most trash i create in the wonderfully heavy-duty long-lasting ziplock bags that splenda comes in. they're opaque, easily cleaned out afterward, and prove surprisingly resistant to puncture. they're also free, so to speak. i've tried grass bags, and they're huge and weak. yeah you can buy 6-mil plastic bags, but they're pricey. for "big" trash, ie something a whole family would create, yeah go for thick thick plastic trash bags.

TiredIronGRB

Observer
I repack most of my foodstuff in reusable containers that I can rinse out when empty. Everything else goes in a Hefty Lawn & Leaf Trash bag.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I generally hang a burlap sack off the back end of the jeep. It gets emptied every time I find a trash can.

Several options for plastic trash bags....first, trash compactor bags. Second, "contractor bags" (home depot, lowes, etc). Both are pretty darn sturdy. On the Colorado trip last month I took some of the fancy stretch trash bags (forget what they call them....the ones that Jackie Chan advertizes). They worked extremely well when everyone was cramming their trash in them. I didn't have a single bag split open.

david despain

Adventurer
i am curious on what is everyones take on burning some/most of it? i dont know what the offciall tread lightly type response is maybe scott could fill us in.
as a kid i did lots of camping in conjunction with hunting trips where we had a strong base camp established for 4 or 5 days sometimes more. so we had a plenty big fire for making coals for the dutch ovens and then later on in the evening the general bs around the fire stuff. we always had enough giant oak blocks that were used as chocks on rail cars for heavy CAT equipment and they burned pretty hot. after a week with 8 guys there was usually only enough trash to fill up one black trash bag; everything went in the fire....cans (both alum and steel), bottles, paper, food, etc. there was never hint or sign of trash left in the fire pit when we soaked and stirred it when we left.
i know that type/size/heat of fire is probably not practial on most over-nite stops espically if you have to depend on what ever type of wood that might just be lying around and cant choose a real hot hardwood. :campfire:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Our trash procedure is to use heavy plastic bags as liners inside a dry bag. I use the heavy contractor ones from Home Depot, these are 3 mil thick and are nice and strong. We put one inside a big dry bag that's been liberated from kayak duty, which is then rolled up between use. What makes a dry bag nice for trash is the same thing that makes it useful for water trips. But instead of keeping your skivvies dry, it keeps nasty liquids and smells inside the bag rather than contaminating your gear. The liner bag gets dumped at gas station or fast food dumpsters when available.

Scott Brady

Founder
Trash is a problem for me too. I have actually gone to K.C.'s method if possible, and try to ditch the trash daily if possible. If not, I use a kitchen size bag and secure it between the spare and roof tent.

I didn't really account for trash in my packing system, so it is a tough one for us. It is something in need to address.

Regarding burning.

I feel that if it leaves no trace and wont release chemicals, than it is ok. That pretty much limits it to paper plates, cardboard, etc.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I also save the bags like KC and hang them on my bumper. When i'm in camp longer i'll break out a bigger Hefty type and throw it up on my rack. It'll sit there till i come across some place to dispose of it. I'd like to get myself a burlap sack as mentioned.

Just recently i had trouble ridding myself of trash, one place outside the park even had chains across their dumpster's lids. I feel strange tossing trash in someone's dumpster, but if i fill my tank, pick up some supplies i usually feel better about it. Most people wont turn you away if asked nicely.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
expeditionswest said:
I didn't really account for trash in my packing system, so it is a tough one for us. It is something in need to address.

Scott, how about taking an old frameless backpack and adjust the straps so you can slide it over your spare tire? Cinch the straps back down and line it with a plastic trash bag so you only have to pull out the plastic trash bag at a dump station....? That might be a decent spot to keep it out of the way but accessible when you're cooking (I dig that new stove BTW) and when you're ready to dump it. That location should keep odors from infiltrating the rest of your gear too.

I've seen a similar set up recently although I can't remember where.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Regarding trash, another perspective...

One way to significantly reduce trash is to re-package foods and other consumable stuff prior to your trip. Coffee, sugar, flour, pasta, frozen foods prepared ahead of time - just about anything can be re-packaged in zip lock bags, which are easy to clean out and re-use, or to pack out for disposal. This also makes a lot more room in the vehicle, trailer, cooler, etc. I also repackage meat - double wrap with plastic wrap and carry in zip lock bags for disposal later - no little foam trays and much less leakage. This eliminates just about all the cardboard and plastic waste. Cans are another problem. I try to avoid using cans, and wash out and pack out any empty cans. Food waste is biodegradable, and can be burned and / or buried in remote areas, or packed out in a plastic bag or the turd bucket if you use one.

I have snap top containers and boxes in my kitchen box for things like detergent, sponges, etc. The containers stay in the box, and are refilled and reused.

Mike

hoser

Explorer
Something like this:

"RUBBISH BAG/SPARE WHEEL COVER V3

THIS NEW VERSION HAS SPARE WHEEL COVER ( WITH 1 LARGE AND 1 SMALL POCKET) (SEE ARROWS IN PHOTOS) , THIS IS IDEAL FOR PUTTING BLACK PLASTIC GARBAGE BAGS--- IT ALSO HAS QUICK RELEASE CLIPS
HAVE THE SPARE WHEEL COVER ON FULL TIME AND WHEN YOU NEED ATTACH THE RUBBISH BAG WITH 5 QUICK RELEASE 38mm BUCKLES AND WEBBING ( SEE PHOTOS)
RUBBISH BAG HAS ZIPPERED LID, VELCRO CLOSING POCKET (SEE PHOTOS), SIZE IS 700MM DOWN, 600MM WIDE AND 200MM DEEP"

more info:
http://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/category31_1.htm

Attachments

• rubbishv3(2)web.jpeg
    rubbishv3(2)web.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 42
  • rubbishv3(1)web.jpeg
    rubbishv3(1)web.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads