My 550 build The "Ford Escape"

Fatboyz

Observer
As winter continues and I'm waiting to paint the outside, another thought has entered my mind! (bad thing) My one concern has been interior height of the over cab bed. I am going to extend the bed 20" into the main box but with a decent mattress I'm concerned that my face will only be inches from the roof. I played with layout for a year now and just don't see any way around it. One of our must haves is a permanent bed. no fold down the table every time! Sitting at the table this morning with coffee and Baileys and I thought what if I take out the roof above the bed and add an 8" high aluminum "pod". The guy that did my other aluminum work could easily do it. In order to keep the roof lines not looking to Hill Billy I would start my roof rack at the back of the pod with the top rail being the same height as the top of the pod. This would also solve my awning issue as I'd now have clearance above the door. Will have to chat with my metal guy and see about cost. Now's the time to do it before I start the inside!

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
I'm not usually a two-tone fan, but I'll make an exception for Espresso and Bailey's :cool: truck is looking good.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
As winter continues and I'm waiting to paint the outside, another thought has entered my mind! (bad thing) My one concern has been interior height of the over cab bed. I am going to extend the bed 20" into the main box but with a decent mattress I'm concerned that my face will only be inches from the roof. I played with layout for a year now and just don't see any way around it. One of our must haves is a permanent bed. no fold down the table every time! Sitting at the table this morning with coffee and Baileys and I thought what if I take out the roof above the bed and add an 8" high aluminum "pod". The guy that did my other aluminum work could easily do it. In order to keep the roof lines not looking to Hill Billy I would start my roof rack at the back of the pod with the top rail being the same height as the top of the pod. This would also solve my awning issue as I'd now have clearance above the door. Will have to chat with my metal guy and see about cost. Now's the time to do it before I start the inside!

Sounds good to me. Maybe put some small windows in it. You could sit up in bed and look out the other side.

Fatboyz

Observer
Sounds good to me. Maybe put some small windows in it. You could sit up in bed and look out the other side.
I do have one window at what will be the foot. I did some checking with couch cushions and I have enough room. Going in tomorrow for measurements for the roof rack/solar panel mounts, and the rear rack for the motorcycles. We're planning a chain driven lift like a fork lift. I'll be able to drop it to the ground and drive them on then lift it back up to the travel position which is about 42" off the ground. I will have the ability to lift the rack quite close to the roof to make getting the spare and stuff up or down easier.

Fatboyz

Observer
Finally some nice weather. Roof rack and solar panel racks going on this week. Finished putting all the furs on inside today. Just a little wire to put in then I can do the spray foam insulation.

Fatboyz

Observer
Well progess has been real slow. We're into "third Winter" now. I've been trying to get my spray insulation done for the last 3 weeks. Doesn't look like it's happening this weekend!!513992

Fatboyz

Observer
Insulation went very well! Got it sprayed and trimmed. Also did under the box.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.JPG
    IMG_1466.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1467.JPG
    IMG_1467.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG