Got the bug and building an m416 big brother

Copasspupil

Observer
Well I attached the jeep to it to go on the maiden voyage and it came out really nice actually. I know the picture is not the clearest...the smoke of the fires are horrible right now. I'll be doing the wiring next week before the state inspection...

19178428.JPG

Last edited:

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Amazing outcome sir! A dang good looking trailer and matching setup.

And yeah...damn that thing is yuge!

Looks Great! What are the box deminsions?

Based on a previous post I believe it to be 5' wide by 7.5' long and 25" tall.

Last edited:

Copasspupil

Observer
Correct on the dimensions. What I'm discovering that I have not found anywhere with the use of Raptor is it shrinks a little over time. I recoated the exterior raptor liner twice with complete coverage and looked at it when I got back from vacation and discovered the rear tail gate end was showing the primer. Mine you Raptor requires epoxy primer and I didn't use it due to a shipping issue with fedex. I have talked to the owner of autobodyforum on using zerorust then sprayed the raptor which he thought it would be fine to do. Looks like I'll be rolling another layer.

But I'm very appreciative by the quality of builds here and flattered by the complements. Can't wait to get it inspected and go offroad.

Mccool

Observer
How's the tongue weight? The axle looks like it's pushed back pretty far. Also, any plans for a lid? I know you mentioned a rtt.

Jmanscotch

is wandering
Correct on the dimensions. What I'm discovering that I have not found anywhere with the use of Raptor is it shrinks a little over time. I recoated the exterior raptor liner twice with complete coverage and looked at it when I got back from vacation and discovered the rear tail gate end was showing the primer. Mine you Raptor requires epoxy primer and I didn't use it due to a shipping issue with fedex. I have talked to the owner of autobodyforum on using zerorust then sprayed the raptor which he thought it would be fine to do. Looks like I'll be rolling another layer.

But I'm very appreciative by the quality of builds here and flattered by the complements. Can't wait to get it inspected and go offroad.

Tough luck, never fun doing something a third time.

I painted mine twice due to not liking the color. Then after painting, I realized the caulk I sealed everything with STILL hasn't set up properly and is goopy and smearing if touched. Dug out the tubes from the trash and realized I somehow got the wrong stuff. Must have grabbed a similar looking tube but it's asphalt roof caulk, not going to work. So, 4 weeks of cure time then I'll have to strip it out (no doubt taking paint with it) and reapply the right stuff as well as try to touch up the paint.

It's rough sometimes and I bet you're frustrated, but with the way it's turning out I hope you keep on until it's good sir.

Copasspupil

Observer
It's a little of an optical illusion. Where the pic was taken, the front shelf in front of the trailer is 10" which makes it look longer, trailer position but I assure you that I went 60/40 split and rechecked it multiple times before welding it into position. I'm not that frustrated about the raptor just something I wasn't aware off and it's an easily fix. As far as a lid, I don't think I'm going to do one but I won't say no just not now.

My biggest surprise on the trailer is how easy it is to move and feels lighter than I thought to lift and move it.

Copasspupil

Observer
It’s legal. Just passed the inspection the state patroller asked me where I bought it from told him I built it myself. Really? He said. Felt pretty good got to admit it

Copasspupil

Observer
Looks like I’m on to stage two of the build: rtt rack. 1.75” 120dom. Adding light mounts for the corners, hi lift mount, looking to make a mount for the Rhino foxwing setup and probably some type of carabiner mount.

I’ve got a nice stretch of weather coming this week so hope to have it done by Thursday.

Last edited:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Nice looking trailer hope you will enjoy it...
I was wondering how it tows as i think that the axle is too far back according to building trailer's theory.
Just my opinion...
Keep up........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles