Got the bug and building an m416 big brother

Copasspupil

Observer
In the process of welding the floor of the trailer and I've seen 4" welds and a span of 12". Whats the norm? 12g floor welding to the frame that is 3/16". Looking for suggestions anyone??

Last edited:

Martyinco

Adventurer
In the process of welding the floor of the trailer and I've seen 4" welds and a span of 12". Whats the norm? 12g floor welding to the frame that is 3/16". Looking for suggestions anyone??

Spread them out and let them cool. I would start with the corners and slowly move towards the centers alternating your weld locations, are you going for a full weld? or just enough to hold it in place?

Copasspupil

Observer
I was planning on doing what you are talking about by creating a series of spot welds then connecting them over time but was not thinking I needed to weld the entire floor.

Martyinco

Adventurer
I was planning on doing what you are talking about by creating a series of spot welds then connecting them over time but was not thinking I needed to weld the entire floor.

Just checking, I would do a 1 inch long weld every foot, should be more than enough to hold it in place, and would minimize the amount of warping you'd get, 4" is my mind is over kill.

Copasspupil

Observer
Thanks for the help. I finished it this morning. Ran out of seam seal so I'm off to the store and picking up a few tubes.

I'll prime and paint the bottom then I'll flip it over and install the axle and tires later this week.

Copasspupil

Observer
Feels good to be at this point. First priming under the belt.

IMG_4138_zpsunyr7a29.jpg

Copasspupil

Observer
IMG_4285_zpsz6ghc9zv.jpg

Time to let the paint cure then flip over, install the axle, wheels and by Tuesday, the sides should be done be bent and hope to weld the inside frame together.

Copasspupil

Observer
Beautiful day today even better results. Flipped it over but gosh it weighs a lot now. Placing the springs, axles, brakes and tires on in about 15 minutes.

IMG_4287_zpscyit3tmn.jpg

Copasspupil

Observer
In the words of Buford T Justice "Sum beach"...my axle is too short. From the thrill of victory to agony of defeat in about 5 minutes. Looks like I'm picking up another axle tomorrow.

Copasspupil

Observer
Ok I got my new axle yesterday and looking ahead at fenders and weld points. Where are you guys welding them to? The frame or side walls? Are you using the front side of the fender for storage and if so how? I think the rear side after the lights are installed doesn't really have enough room to place anything in there.

Copasspupil

Observer
Finally got some time to work on it before the rains hit. Replaced axle, welded the seats, and placed the tires on it. Though the front has jack stands on it, it is mobile. Time to build the box and rear tailgate.

IMG_4325_zpscuopqzam.jpg

Copasspupil

Observer
IMG_4349_zpszc4q4tfm.jpg

The frame is done except for the rear which I wasn't going to finish until I weld up the formed sides. That happens Monday. I hope to have the sides finished by this Friday so I can do the front and rear sections of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles