Got my custom canvas cover for my M101a2

Titan_Bow

I picked up this trailer several years ago from govplanet. I think I paid $450 for it at the time. It didnt come with canvas or bows, but was in good shape other than old dry rotted tires. I got around to painting it earlier this year, and I kept going back and forth on what to do for a cover. I want this thing to serve multiple duties if needed. So, perhaps that means me and my son sleeping in it on a quick weekend hunting trip. Maybe thats hauling some junk to the landfill or helping a buddy move, maybe thats taking the family on a week long adventure through Utah and Idaho, or here in the Colorado backcountry, who knows. I like the idea of a nice canvas and bows, something that could be removed if needed, but also provides protection from the elments when on.
I had been trying to find a way to do the bows and canvas for a while, and for the bows, I settled on this solution. I used 3/4" conduit for the bows, and where they go down into the trailer body, I made some metal plates with a hole just slightly larger than the conduit. It holds them very sturdily, and was really easy and cheap. Problem solved on the bows, so then the canvas was tricky. Since I painted the trailer grey, I thought the military canvas in green tan or camo, would just look odd. So, since I got such a good deal on the trailer already, why not splurge a little, and have a custom canvas made?
I searched for a while trying to find a decent deal from someone with a good reputation. I finally settled on Paul's Custom Canvas in Denver. https://www.paulscanvas.com/ They primarily do canvas for boats, but they do other projects as well. They were very friendly and helpful. The turnaround time was really quick, and the price was unbeatable. When I picked it up today, I was really impressed with the attention to detail, and the overall quality of the cover!

Attachments

• IMG_4475.JPG
    IMG_4475.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • Trailer1.jpg
    Trailer1.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 43
  • Trailer3.jpg
    Trailer3.jpg
    1,006.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Trailer4.jpg
    Trailer4.jpg
    690 KB · Views: 42
  • Trailer5.jpg
    Trailer5.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Trailer6.jpg
    Trailer6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40

old_CWO

That came our really nice, I like the overall height you chose for the canvas. It doesn't look like the sides will roll up so it's more like a truck cap than traditional military canvas; interesting.

I like the paint choice as well; is that Rustoleum smoke gray?

Titan_Bow

That came our really nice, I like the overall height you chose for the canvas. It doesn't look like the sides will roll up so it's more like a truck cap than traditional military canvas; interesting.

I like the paint choice as well; is that Rustoleum smoke gray?

Thanks. I chose that height because it doesn't go higher than my truck. I decided on the design, kind of inspired by seeing someone else's with a SoftTopper on theirs. I figured I would either take it off, or have it on, I can't really see a scenario where I need to roll the sides.
That is Rustoleum Smoke Gray. I sprayed it with a HVLP gun and cut Rustoleum with acetone. I liked how it turned out, and it was the first time I've ever painted something with a HVLP gun.

old_CWO

Thanks. I chose that height because it doesn't go higher than my truck. I decided on the design, kind of inspired by seeing someone else's with a SoftTopper on theirs. I figured I would either take it off, or have it on, I can't really see a scenario where I need to roll the sides.
That is Rustoleum Smoke Gray. I sprayed it with a HVLP gun and cut Rustoleum with acetone. I liked how it turned out, and it was the first time I've ever painted something with a HVLP gun.

I can definitely see a scenario where I would want to roll the sides as I live in the desert so keeping things easily accessible but out of the direct sun would be a plus. Come to think of it, I lived in the Pacific NW for many years and I would also want my stuff accessible but out of the rain. IF that ever becomes an issue for you, the shop can most certainly add the feature later. That being said, it's probably more durable in the wind the way you have it.

I am a big fan of hosing on Rusto (or hardware store equivalents) through a paint gun, been doing it literally for decades on tons of stuff including beater cars and trucks. I usually thin with mineral spirits because I'm thrifty (cheap) but it comes out fine with any of the usual suspects that can thin enamel. If you've got a good mask, adding enamel hardener to it takes the cheapie paint to a higher level. It glosses up better and is a lot more durable. Heck with the hardener in it you can cut and buff it for a super glossy result. Another really nice single stage paint that is easy for novices to get good results is Interlux Brightside marine paint. It's a bit more expensive but if applied using the roll and tip method it looks smooth as glass and no spraying equipment required.

Cool looking trailer, I dig it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles