Got a RTT Now what? -- Questions

Stouttrout

Adventurer
Okay here is where I should start. I have built a few trailers and modified plenty. ALL heavy duty stuff. You know 5-7k axles, goosenecks etc. I tend to over build everything. I want to keep this light but durable. I plan to build someting similar to the Sherpa and measure about 4' x 6'. I plan to use 2" x 2" tubing for the base and 1" x 1.5" for the sides and top.

What guage or thickness tubing should I be using for the Base?

What guage or Thickness should I use for the sides and top?

I appreciate all and any advice and thank you in advance.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm using 1/8th inch wall tubing and it seems about right. It's easy to weld and cut, plenty stiff. Though if I were to do it again... I'd probably seek out some cold rolled tubing and use a thinner wall like 0.090.

Stouttrout

Adventurer
I found a source for Cold Rolled and was thinking of using .120 on the base and .083 on the sides and top. The probably sheet metal around the sides or aluminum diamond plate. It will have a tailgate and a top on it. I think the top will be made out of thin 1" x1" steel for the frame and covered in Aluminum.

Any "expert" opinions?

Box Rocket

You might get some ideas from my build:

Box Rocket Trailer build

Here's my basic material list:

main frame: 2.5" .120 wall
tongue: 2.5" 3/16
tub uprights/tailgate frame: 1.5" .063 wall
tub rail: 1x3" .063 wall
lid frame (still to build) 1" .063 wall
skins: 16 ga. sheet

Stouttrout

Adventurer
I have already been getting some sweet ideas off of yours. Very nice build. What are the dimension on the trailer box/tub. I did not see them posted or may have missed it.

Box Rocket

I have already been getting some sweet ideas off of yours. Very nice build. What are the dimension on the trailer box/tub. I did not see them posted or may have missed it.

Main frame has outer dimension of 4'x6'. The tub uprights are flush with the inside of the frame so 5" less in total length and width for the inner tub dimensions. Tub height is 20". HTH. good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne