Got a new ground tent

dcg141

Adventurer
Bushtec Found one of them on sale and the other on e-bay for about 1/2 this price. Also found one of the screen rooms. Wow its bulky and heavy packed up. Have no idea how long its going to take to set up. Gonna try and get it all out soon and I will give some feedback. I have never seen anything about this setup in here or anywhere else for that matter. Ordered them blind on a whim when I saw them on sale. The tent was on e-bay for months w no movement.

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
Pretty sure the tent quality is good. More worried about wind with the awning as a base setup. Gets pretty stormy here.

emulous74

This is directly on their website that you linked to. My observation, one they don't list weight, that's a serious mis-step on their part, but the 30 minute setup should of been your first clue.

• Tested to withstand winds up to 60mph
  • Easy popper and clip on installation in under 30 min

dcg141

Adventurer
This is directly on their website that you linked to. My observation, one they don't list weight, that's a serious mis-step on their part, but the 30 minute setup should of been your first clue.
Listed separately. Gazebo at 82 lbs and the tent at 45. The screen room is 23. Most of the gazebo weight is the steel frame. There is a video showing a setup. Once the frame is done its pretty straight forward it looks like.

Last edited:

Grassland

This seems like a basecamp tent. Not something you use for two nights at a time.
Seems pretty robust

SlickRope

Quick question. Trying to decide between Bushtech and springbar. How long does it take to set up the Bushtech. The springbar doesn't take long at all.

Texoma

The more familiar you are with it and depending on if there is 1 or 2 people pitching it will ultimately determine how long it will take. Guy is this vid does it in about 6 minutes.

TwinStick

Explorer
If you ever get tired of the weight of it, don't be afraid to experiment.

When we got married in 1985, I was unemployed, just out of the Army. We only had enough money for 1 night at a hotel in Niagara Falls. So we drove to Alexandria Bay State Park. We got there at 10 pm. Someone was in our campsite. Didn't get them out till 1 am.

I set up 2 shelter halves and made an Army pup tent. Used an oversized green tarp with all 4 edges folded up & in, about 8". Dug a small trench all around tarp that covered tent to direct water away. Also had a 10'x16' tarp with custom grommet holes to coincide with my pup tent stake tips. It totally covered the pup tent and gave us a 8' awning to cover the entrance. Wife was asking if all that was necessary. 2 hrs later a wicked storm rolled in. Torrential rain and wicked wind.

When we got up, we could feel water running underneath the tarp we slept on but we were bone dry. Water was 1/4 of the way up the tires on our Subaru, which was downhill from the tent. There were about a dozen people standing and pointing at me.

Finally, someone yelled "Dude, what kind of tent is that ?" I yelled back, " it a $28 US Army pup tent and 2 - $10 tarps. I was 22 then. So you can still camp & stay dry in extreme weather, with cheap gear, if you set it up properly. Certainly not luxurious but highly functional.

Still married to her, lol.

Last edited:

NorthwestDriver

We also have a Springbar. Excellent quality, and while not particularly light weight, it’s half the weight of the bushtec. I got the Traveler (10x10) as it seemed roomy enough for 4, while small enough to fit on most established camping pads.

mans my wife right now is bitching about having an open living room in a house we are renting in at Martin for her 40th. Lmaoo fvck me

congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier