Got a Gen 1 LWB, what now?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well, a couple months ago I got a 1991 Montero RS with 111k miles. It's pretty nice but needs a suspension rebuild and some minor body work, the interior is decent as well. Overall it's borderline between doing a tasteful resto or destroying it with modifications. I'll be documenting this build on YouTube either way so hopefully it will turn out cool at least. I will be giving some new drawings to Adventure Driven Design for Gen 1 parts in the process but no guarantees they'll ever make it into production . So i'm kind of just going to be a leaf in the wind with this and build it however the bits and pieces just fall together easily for me (time permitting). Maybe i'll throw in a montage or two during the worky parts, so far i'm off to a rough start because if you saw the video in my other thread PA_JERO got the thing stuck on a dirt pile already and it'll be there for a while.

Here's some ideas; make it look like the for sale brochure from Japan

65240c9ae7ed791de0de3acaa5339a7e.jpg

or give it a little different style

b55aed4360c4b419a72b7eac8c318f5e.jpg

or get nutty
""

Last edited:

Doing_Dirt

I like the white steelies with the white raised letters on the tall tires.
Has a certain Jurassic Park look about it.

Toasty

I found a set of those wheels locally, I like them but I also like the old spoke wheels and I have those now (not the super rare big opening 6 spokes but the more common big 5 spoke). I found a pair of the big mirrors and all the JDM lights are easy to get, I also have a mint front bumper.

Toasty

I do have a set of portal axles...

...but i think they should go under an early gen 3 (3.5 Limited because 5 speed auto and no traction control)

mudraider

Adventurer
It's been a while for a Gen 1 for you, hasn't it. How bout getting nutty and inspiring the Gen 1 guys with a Toasty build?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toasty

Went and picked up the Gen 1 today, these things practically drive themselves. Put it in neutral and set the parking brake, let the big truck do the rest!

odoffroadmontero

This is what i did i have gen 1 gen 2 gen 2.5 and gen 3 montero pajeros . Mitsubishi for life !! It has a 3 inch body lift 37 inch Super Swampers front and rear winches exoskeleton waterproof computer and electronics snorkel Interiors been Rhino lined custom gas tank all handmade . Trailing arm weak points have been modified and strengthened. These vehicles are basically bulletproof right out of the boxc7da8d666f52bb40049a7e7132961aac.jpg1e83757d440650f34dfc739ebdbe2aca.jpg73547ed11e35c889fa31fc2245b41878.jpg

Toasty

That looks hardcore! I've chopped a few of these too, I did a Gen 2 with 0 departure angle except mine was a flatbed and single cab.

mudraider

Adventurer
This is what i did i have gen 1 gen 2 gen 2.5 and gen 3 montero pajeros . Mitsubishi for life !! It has a 3 inch body lift 37 inch Super Swampers front and rear winches exoskeleton waterproof computer and electronics snorkel Interiors been Rhino lined custom gas tank all handmade . Trailing arm weak points have been modified and strengthened. These vehicles are basically bulletproof right out of the boxView attachment 445184View attachment 445185View attachment 445186
You have a build thread or anything on yours? Be interesting to see the insides.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Toasty

Progress! New to me BFG 30x9.5's and late LS wheels (thanks T.B.), Tokico Trekmaster shocks, Mark's 2.85:1 T-case and drafted the corresponding upgrade skidplate, all new suspension, all new steering stuff AND 6 briefcases of tapes chock full of 80's Metal!

20180702_094633.jpg20180712_110144.jpg20180702_100242.jpg

...and yeah i'll make some more fixing it videos, i need the practice if i want to get good like arevv_ . I'll get the new skid plate designs to Adventure Driven at some point too so you guys with gen 1's can protect your bottoms.

*Sidebar* there are now Tom Wood's Driveshafts for running NP241OR in a Gen 1 SWB which is not a real easy swap (tunnel and T-case mods required even with 2" BL) but that's my gift to the H-Core Gen 1 SWB drivers so feel free to message me about the details of the swap or for my driveshaft order number but like i said it's no beginner task (It was pretty easy for me though ;) ).

Last edited:

Toasty

I know but I'm pretty excited about the tapes. I have a lot of this stuff on CD or Vinyl already but a lot of it i don't have or only on vinyl or haven't listened to in a while so i need to do some roadtrips. It's going to be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles