Goose lake in northern NM

Richie

Adventurer
Just became a member of this site and thought I'd post an adventure of mine. This is Goose lake in the Red River area in northern New Mexico. This was June of '07. The lake is 11,600ft in elevation.
ecuador and truck 388.jpg

ecuador and truck 387.jpg

ecuador and truck 393.jpg

ecuador and truck 397.jpg

ecuador and truck 400.jpg

ecuador and truck 402.jpg

ecuador and truck 403.jpg
One of the high peaks in the area. Still a lot of white stuff.
ecuador and truck 408.jpg

ecuador and truck 410.jpg

ecuador and truck 413.jpg
The trail up is accessible by 4x4 only. We put our tent right next to a snow pile and kept our beer cold.:coffeedrink:

Storz

Explorer
Welcome aboard and great pictures! ZR2s are awesome trucks, I had an 01 for a few years and was amazed at its capability.

Taz

Adventurer
I have heard about Goose Lake while I lived there in NM. I just never made the trip...............from your pictures I sure wish I would have! Thanks for sharing.

Westy

Adventurer
very nice photos and even cooler place!

Did you happen to do any fishing there? If so...results?

Richie

Adventurer
Westy said:
very nice photos and even cooler place!

Did you happen to do any fishing there? If so...results?
Yes. Fishing is what I love to do even though I'm bad at it. We were up there for a weekend and fished all day on saturday. My buddy Izzy and I had no luck, but my other buddy David caught what was probably a 7-8 inch Rainbow. There are plenty of trout in the lake, just couldn't catch any.
It really was beautiful. Very secluded too which is always a plus. Our first night there we saw no one. On saturday there were a few atv's that came up for some wheeling and that night there was an older couple there that stayed for the night. I plan on going back with the wife this coming summer. Red River is not even 3 hours from Albuquerque. The trail itself took just over an hour to complete.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior