Google Nexus 5 phone now available

haven

Expedition Leader
After months of rumors and leaks, Google has officially announced the Nexus 5 smartphone. Compared to last year's Nexus 4, Nexus 5 offers a 5 inch Full HD screen and LTE. There are two body color choices ( black or white), two storage memory sizes (16 or 32 GB), and two prices ($349 for 16 GB, $399 for 32 GB).

Since the nexus 5 offers no slot for removable memory cards, it's probably wise to buy the 32 GB model.

The Nexus 5 runs the Google's latest operating system, Android 4.4, code name KitKat. KitKat can be downloaded to several earlier Nexus phone models, but not all (see post below).

Google sells the Nexus 5 direct from its web store, and also through Best Buy and Radio Shack. Orders can be placed now. Versions of the phone are available for cell phone networks run by ATT, T-Mobile and Sprint, but not for Verizon in USA.

Compare paying $350 or $400 up front for a Nexus phone, with paying a cell phone carrier $100 to $200 up front, plus $20 a month for the 24 months of a typical contract. The Google Nexus approach is several hundred dollars cheaper over two years. Without a contract, you can choose to use a lower cost service provider if you wish.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_32gb

haven

Expedition Leader
Google announced that the KitKat version of Android will be made available for several nexus devices in the coming weeks. The Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy 4 Google Edition, and HTC One Google Edition phones are on the list, as are the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets.

HTC announced that all non-Google HTC One phones will get the KitKat upgrade within 90 days. Other manufacturers may or may not offer a KitKat upgrade.

The disappointing news is Google's announcement that they will not offer a KitKat upgrade for the Galaxy Nexus phone, introduced about two years ago. Google says the GNex phone uses a Texas Instruments processor, and TI has stopped making cell phone processors. So TI is not interested in working with Google on KitKat.

It gets worse. Google says, as a matter of policy, they won't guarantee that new Android versions will work on Nexus phones that are more than 18 months old. This bothers a lot of people, who trusted Google would continue to support their Nexus products for years.

In contrast, Apple's new iOS 7 runs on phones that are three years old. (iOS 7 runs, but not optimally, on the older hardware.).

rolando

Observer
That is really a bummer. I do have a Galaxy Nexus and it still goes strong (and more "buttery" than my N7 BTW).

xbox73

Adventurer
Bought a black 32GB GN5 yesterday. Waited until about lunchtime to purchase, so I could read some of the early impressions reviews, sp, as a result, mine should arrive in about a week's time.

I also have a GN10, so I'll be looking forward to the KitKat upgrade for that.

I also have a Galaxy Tab 3 8", which, since it's relatively new, I'm hoping will eventually get the KitKat upgrade too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior