Goodyear Wrangler Ultra-Terrain AT - is this a new tire?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Getting close to needing new tires, the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlars seem to really suck bad in snow and ice.

Shopping in Discount tire my "go to" has been the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

But then I saw this Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT. Seems to fit in the GY lineup somewhere between the cheaper Wranglers and the more expensive Dura trac.

To my untrained eye, it looks very similar to both the Wildpeak and the BFG AT KO in terms of the number of voids and the size of the tread blocks. It also bears the 3 peak "mountain/snowflake" rating (although my sucky Kevlars do too so I'm not sure that means much.)

Price is on par with the Wildpeaks but there's a rebate on the Goodyears.

Anybody have any experience or know anything about this tire?

Here they are side by side:

gdyrl8_ang_xl.jpg

falvl0.ang.xl.jpg

At this point I'd have to say they look tempting. I like going with a major brand as opposed to a less well known brand like Falken (though I had Wildpeaks on my Suburban and never had any issues with them.)

sargeek

Adventurer
It’s a Discount Tire specific brand - installed on a couple work trucks (1500 Suburban and 1500 PK) and they are respectable. We don’t put enough miles on the vehicles to tell how they wear. They seem to good all around AT tires.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Getting close to needing new tires, the Goodyear Wrangler Kevlars seem to really suck bad in snow and ice.

But then I saw this Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT. Seems to fit in the GY lineup somewhere between the cheaper Wranglers and the more expensive Dura trac.

To my untrained eye, it looks very similar to both the Wildpeak and the BFG AT KO in terms of the number of voids and the size of the tread blocks. It also bears the 3 peak "mountain/snowflake" rating (although my sucky Kevlars do too so I'm not sure that means much.)

View attachment 622677

View attachment 622678

At this point I'd have to say they look tempting. I like going with a major brand as opposed to a less well known brand like Falken (though I had Wildpeaks on my Suburban and never had any issues with them.)

the Sumitomo Tire and Rubber Company is hardly “lesser” in any application of the word.

spikemd

Explorer
I have them on My L322 2010 Supercharged Range Rover in 275/55r20. So far, they have been great tires. had them for over a year and not showing any visible signs of wear. More aggressive than the standard tires but didn't need the Duratracs. They are rain and snow rated. Handling is a little less than the previous tires, but with over 500 hp, I don't expect all terrains to handle like street tires. I recommend them. The set of BFG KO2 on my LR3 have cupped horribly even with rotations and alignments. Will never buy them again.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hmmmmm...well, now it's starting to look like new tires may be on the back burner. An unseasonably warm and dry year (so far) means I MAY be able to eke another year (or at least another few months) out of my current Goodyear Kevlars.

Also another unexpected vet bill due to chronic ear infections. ?

Good thing she's cute!

Odessa.jpg

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I have been using them for a while on my 4runner. very quite great on rain and snow. Good traction. I also have the Duratracs on my Lexus and even dough both are good tires. They are different use tires. I recommend both tires over the KM2s. BFG are too hard for my taste, but I will be switching to Yokohama MTs on my Lexus next year to go to Baja since I do not want to risk sidewalk cuts Solo in Baja on my my Duratracs.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have been using them for a while on my 4runner. very quite great on rain and snow. Good traction. I also have the Duratracs on my Lexus and even dough both are good tires. They are different use tires. I recommend both tires over the KM2s. BFG are too hard for my taste, but I will be switching to Yokohama MTs on my Lexus next year to go to Baja since I do not want to risk sidewalk cuts Solo in Baja on my my Duratracs.
My friend just returned from northern Baja south of Ensenada. Covid's not much of an issue and everyone in the cities seemed to be complying with the guidelines. These vaccines emerging are going to get the world back on it's feet again.

Explorerinil

Observer

View attachment 622677

View attachment 622678

Those look like a copy of the falken wildpeak. I’ll take falken

Last edited by a moderator:

fnjeep314

Observer
^^They do?! I certainly dont see it. The side lugs are totally different, the center tread is much more dense on the GY vs the Falken. I ran the Falkens and they were decent. Have a set on my Lexus currently and they are starting to get loud for me and I am at about 50% tread left. Im on the hunt and am looking at these GY's and Michelin LTX M+S, Geolanders G055 and Hankook ATM, possibly General Grabber AT3.

kayadog

Adventurer
I’ve had great luck with the Hankook ATM RF10. I’m on my third set. They wear great, are quiet, and are very good in winter conditions. Pretty cheap too. Not very exciting but a solid all terrain tire.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I’ve had great luck with the Hankook ATM RF10. I’m on my third set. They wear great, are quiet, and are very good in winter conditions. Pretty cheap too. Not very exciting but a solid all terrain tire.
Funny you mention, I went from Hankook ATM great tire better then ko2 for my needs to Goodyear ultraterrain.

old_CWO

I put a set of these tires on my truck last week. Not a lot of feedback yet except surprisingly quiet and hard to break loose in the rain. I went with non-LT rated to preserve ride quality. Steering/handing seems on par with pretty much every other all terrain tire I have owned over the years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles