Goodyear MTR vs Duratrac - Longevity.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I bought my DT's at the local GY shop - nothing special.

View attachment 116007

As stated above the E rated duratrac has a slight hum on the road but it's no where near annoying.

When I bought them I had pretty modest expectations but have been shocked at how well they preform in a variety of traction conditions.

Outstanding! I plan to bump up in tire size soon, and cheaper is always better. I'll see how the MT/R's wear, as so far I'm very happy with them. But, the Duratracs are a great second option.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Any feedback on the C rated Duratracs? That's what I'm considering. The Es sound a bit much (max load: 2200lbs vs 3000lbs per tire) for my 4500lbs truck.

Falkon

Adventurer
Russell - The C rated DT'S are 2 ply. So a thinner and possibly weaker sidewall. On the flip side, you would get more flex out of them on trails and when airing down and a softer, more cushioned ride on-road.

I don't have a set yet, buy I have been researching them for few months now*

*I am not a scientist, YMMV.

- Chris

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks Falkon. I was hoping someone with the C rated (2ply) Duratracs (or others) would chime in because I've heard rumors that the 2ply tires suffer from frequent punctures and sidewall damage...but it's always hear-se not a direct account. I wonder how many AT tires are 2ply and work ok for normal offroading.

soonenough

Explorer
I had 10-11 32nds of tread left on my Duratracs after 59,000 miles on my Tacoma (265/75/16 load range C). They were getting noisy and a little rough, and their grip on wet pavement had decreased somewhat, but they were still going strong.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that their wet weather performance was exteremely good to begin with, and even after it had decreased slightly with wear, they were still very good.

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
Thanks Falkon. I was hoping someone with the C rated (2ply) Duratracs (or others) would chime in because I've heard rumors that the 2ply tires suffer from frequent punctures and sidewall damage...but it's always hear-se not a direct account. I wonder how many AT tires are 2ply and work ok for normal offroading.

Lots do. But normal offroading it only takes one sharp stone you don't see or one root you slide into a little on a forest road to kill a tire. I've shredded a 3 ply tire on nothing more than a dirt road and a tree root in low light. I personally buy the 3 ply because its just one more layer. It may make no difference, but peace of mind is part of my enjoyment, and so if I feel better about it, its worth it to me.

FlyJester

Adventurer
I'm on my second set of Duratracs, got around 55K miles on first set. I have been all throughout Utah(mountains, desert, slickrock, etc.) and have never had a problem with them. They are also great in winter too.

jarmentrout

Observer
Have a set of C rated on my xterra, have about 18,000 miles. They ride well, air down well, and seem to be wearing well. I draw a chalk line across the tread and drive forward to see what the pressure should be for different loads to keep the tread wearing evenly from edge to edge. Usually I add a little for better mileage, because when I air down it wears the edges more.

Rotate any set and they will last longer too. But they have been great in the snow, even pulling a loaded enclosed two place snowmobile trailer through 10 inches of fresh snow up hill. The only issue I have, which would happen with any MT, is that when I put chains on them the chain falls between the tread blocks on the edges. It would be worse though with many other MT tires, which would almost literally swallow the chains between all the blocks rendering chains useless. At least the middle of the tire tread on the DTs keeps the chains touching the ground.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I bought my DT's at the local GY shop - nothing special.

View attachment 116007

As stated above the E rated duratrac has a slight hum on the road but it's no where near annoying.

When I bought them I had pretty modest expectations but have been shocked at how well they preform in a variety of traction conditions.

That tire in 285/75/16 (e) has a 3,750 lb rating too

JBL13

I have load range C 245/75/16 DuraTracs on my 2002 Tacoma. I go four-wheeling quite a bit in the mountains of northern Utah and occasionally in Moab. During more than two years and about 8K miles on these tires, I've seen only a couple of minor sidewall cuts -- nothing that goes deeper than the surface rubber. I'm mindful that these tires don't offer the best sidewall protection, so I'm careful about the lines I take while off the pavement. When I intentionally use the sidewall lugs for traction, I do so only on dirt or other relatively soft surfaces.

These tires offer noticeably better traction on virtually any surface I can think of than other tires I've had on the truck, including first-gen MT/Rs and BFG All-Terrains. Both were load range E and also in the 245/75/16 size.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, I ordered the C range DuraTracs for my Pathfinder from Tire Rack. Really appreciate the input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior