Goodyear Aquires Cooper Tires

tacomabill

Thanks for the heads up. I got the Discoverer AT/3, load range E on my Taco/FWC camper. I expect to need new tires in 6-8 months and found out that the tread pattern on these tires has changed, but still plan on getting another set of the Coopers. Did a company in India acquire Cooper maybe five years ago?

1stDeuce

Explorer
There was a sale scare perhaps 5 years ago, but it didn't go through. I'm doubtful that good things will come about due to this acquisition. Goodyear has zero tires that I like presently, while Cooper/Mastercraft have several. I wonder what will become of the sub brands that Cooper also manufactures, like Hercules, Mastercraft, Richard Cepek, Mickey Thompson, etc... Seems like the big guys get bigger, and selection suffers no matter what the product/market... :(

roving1

There was a sale scare perhaps 5 years ago, but it didn't go through. I'm doubtful that good things will come about due to this acquisition. Goodyear has zero tires that I like presently, while Cooper/Mastercraft have several. I wonder what will become of the sub brands that Cooper also manufactures, like Hercules, Mastercraft, Richard Cepek, Mickey Thompson, etc... Seems like the big guys get bigger, and selection suffers no matter what the product/market... :(

Goodyear should throw away every off road tire they make and keep the Cooper line up, but they probably won't.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I shouldn't be so hard on them... I did run a set of the directional MT's a long time ago, and a set of original MT/R's not quite so long ago. Both did well for me. But they're long gone, and all that's left is low tread OE style tires, and a REALLY expensive MT/R Kevlar or something like that... Oh, and Duratrac's, which I suppose work well, but they seem to lose tread quickly, and I don't care for the narrow tread on a wider carcass look...

I suppose that aside from Cooper, Goodyear is probably the next most US-based tire manufacturer. So there's that...

Reactions: plh

jadmt

ignore button user
I had to chuckle to myself because I know why you had to type Richard Cepek on this site....
true story there used to be a local bar owner here and his name was Richard Head, while actually I think his first name was some something else but most every one called him Dikc.

I also worked with a guy named Richard Seeman and if you wanted to get your lights punched out you called him Dikc.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
true story there used to be a local bar owner here and his name was Richard Head, while actually I think his first name was some something else but most every one called him Dikc.

I also worked with a guy named Richard Seeman and if you wanted to get your lights punched out you called him Dikc.
We had a Harry Jacoff close by.

twodollars

I havent been impressed with any of the coopers I have run. Currently have a set of their all terrains on my daughter's nitro, and for the relatively docile looking tread they make a lot of noise. Got them because they were made in USA and a good price, but wont do it again. Their car tires seem ok, but again more noise than I would expect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior