Good waterproof bins

Titan_Bow

Over the years, I’ve been through a handful of various cheap bins for storing gear. Inevitably, the lids crack, the bins break or crack at the corners, I lose the lids, etc.
I’ve decided to really put together a nice setup as I finish off my M101, and I’d like to get nice heavy duty waterproof bins for organization. I really don’t want to spend several hundred dollars per bin, but I also want something that is going to last.
What are some of the best options for affordable storage bins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

Various sizes really. But in general, foot locker shape/size totes are what I am looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Various sizes really. But in general, foot locker shape/size totes are what I am looking for
I saw a thing at Walmart in the automotive section the other day that sounds like that. Looked pretty stout.

And I've been eying this thing to store a few clunkier items:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
US Gov Surplus Medical chests (aluminum) are waterproof with a gasket and like 10 latches. They're not as cheap (or available) as they used to be, but they're still probably cheaper than a Zarges case. Worth a look. Googling "surplus aluminum medical case" will net you many many hits.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I've been happy with these...relatively inexpensive, durable, waterproof. I have about a dozen between home, personal & work truck
MTM Ammo Box

dd41fb9a-5271-437a-91e8-b8702cbfed72._CR6,23,430,430_PT0_SX300__.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I just came across a Plano HD Storage box, 108 QT. It looks like it may fit the bill. (Amazon)
That might even be the brand at Wallyworld.
....too small to fit my Scottle though....

I went to the Container Store near my lab. Woefully short on glamping containers.

Reactions: WVI

NatersXJ6

Explorer
What does “waterproof” mean to you?

There is a wide range... it could be “keeps out occasional rain”,

or “filled with paperback books and survived an attack from a rogue fire truck”,

or “was on the Titanic and look how nice my stuff is”.

jgaz

Adventurer
These are what I’m using now. I believe these are what @FrenchieXJ is also using

Edit since my original post: I have added weatherstrip in the lid groove to two of my boxes.

X2 on the desired degree of waterproofness you‘re looking for.
My two have traveled down I 17 in a really decent downpour at 70mph.
Once in the open bed of my truck and once on a trailer. I found no water intrusion either time

pluton

Adventurer
What does “waterproof” mean to you?

There is a wide range... it could be “keeps out occasional rain”,

or “filled with paperback books and survived an attack from a rogue fire truck”,

or “was on the Titanic and look how nice my stuff is”.
Influenced partly by the Expedition Journal cases test a few years ago, here is my hierarchy of container waterproofness:
1. Fully submersible without any water ingress. AKA a Pelican Case---but it's heavy and space-inefficient. Overkill for most applications.
2. No water ingress with a fire hose aimed right at the closure. See above^^. I'm not going to go camping in a hurricane.
3. Rain and snow proof if laid on the ground, lid-side up.
For camping, only the last one applies to me. I carry the containers inside the vehicle while driving, and would mount them right side up on the roof rack if necessary.

Titan_Bow

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I really like those Plano boxes and those MTM Ammo boxes. I'm not looking for submersible or marine level waterproof here, just dont have to worry if a tote is left in the back of an open truck bed, or sitting outside of tent or camp with a rainstorm or something. As I put together this trailer I am working on, mainly for family camping, and hunting trips, I want to sort of build from the ground up, an organized system here so that the trailer can be packed and ready to go whenever we want to head out. Organizing everything in nice new bins that I dont have to worry about is a part of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles