Good Ratchet Straps

Fittings must be strong for nice travelling) I found a good review of ratchet straps, so I think it's good to start thread here.
Maybe some thoughts about tie-downs, what is good and what is not?

shade

Welcome to ExPo! ?

Are you looking for load strap suggestions, or do you have questions about the ones you saw in a review?

While they aren't ratchet straps, I recently purchased some Rollercam straps that are quite nice. I don't care for traditional cam straps, but Rollercams are a big improvement.

What will you be strapping down, and to what?

Buckstopper

Adventurer
I have to say that I always carry ratchet straps as part of my recovery gear. We got hit by a hit and run driver and our camper was pretty badly damaged (ultimately totaled out). I was able to use ratchet straps and duct tape it to make it habitable and safe to drive a few thousand miles home. I used pretty generic cheapo ratchet style straps.

The rear bumper was knocked about 2' sideways and partially torn off the back of the camper. With the ratchet style strap I was able to pull the bumper back into place by getting them under tension against the trailer hitch then beating the bumper with a sledge hammer until the straps loosend a bit. I kept repeating that until I got it back where it belonged...more or less. The cheapo straps were pretty much toast by the time we got home but I couldn't have done that with a cam style strap.

I also had a couple of big trucker style flatbed straps that were much stronger but the hooks were so big that I couldn't hook them to anything on the truck with the camper on so I stopped carrying them but you could probably ratchet a rig out of the ditch with a couple of those if you needed to.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
One more thought on straps. Most trucking companies replace their straps each year because they degrade in the sun. Probably should take note of that and replace your straps if they get a lot of sun. Not sure that they need to go annually but if they start to look faded its probably time for them to go.

CampStewart

Observer
One more thought on straps. Most trucking companies replace their straps each year because they degrade in the sun. Probably should take note of that and replace your straps if they get a lot of sun. Not sure that they need to go annually but if they start to look faded its probably time for them to go.
Do you have some data to support that? I have straps that have been in the sun for years that seem fine. I work with both 1 and 2 inch ratchet straps on a daily basis and other than cheap junk that you buy in value packs I have never seen a quality strap break unless it was misused. I think some people make up things to worry about and then caution others about.

Buckstopper

Adventurer
Do you have some data to support that?
Nope. Just know what the policy was for companies that I used to work with. Out with the old and in with the new straps every January. Mine are not exposed to the sun or wear and tear on a regular basis so I don't do it annually but I do inspect them each winter along with the rest of my gear. Any fading, loose threads or wear they get replaced. Straps are cheaper than the stuff I strap down so seems like common sense to replace them on a regular basis.

Welcome to ExPo! ?

Are you looking for load strap suggestions, or do you have questions about the ones you saw in a review?

While they aren't ratchet straps, I recently purchased some Rollercam straps that are quite nice. I don't care for traditional cam straps, but Rollercams are a big improvement.

What will you be strapping down, and to what?

Thanks for your wecloming here) Nice to join a big community)

I have to fasten securely my 2 longitudinal packs side-by-side to the car's roof racks...
And it's not the case: :)
I would like to do this, like on the top pic from this post I found yesterday.. I believe this way of binding is strong and my trip will calm?
But, if the things like Rollercam are correspond to my requirements (1 pack weights near 27 lbs) - it's will be good to figure out what is this...

We used to buy alot of 2” ratchetstraps from Mcmaster Carr. Really liked them, But dont remember the manufacturer.
I always bought the type with sliding ring ends and hooks. Made a huge difference in usefulness when there was no dedicated fitting to anchor them to.
I am sure their fabric was a polyester. Hardly stretch, would last years in sunlight & outdoors.
I think polyester is fine. And it mustn't fall apart by environmental impact.
There are many different constructions with straps on Mcmaster Carr. It's pretty nice.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I think it depends on how much use they're going to be having but I don't think you need to go too overboard with the straps you get, the $15 kit at the hardware store will be fine; your're not hauling 2 tons on a semi. Like people said, the sun and weather can destroy them after being exposed for a year. But mine personally only see daylight 10-15 days of the year. The rest of the time they're rolled up in ziplock bags (just to keep them from tangling) in my "tie-down" bag doing nothing; so just check them once a year for aging deterioration.

I've got bungies, cam-locks, and ratchet straps and just use whichever is needed depending on how much force may pull on them. Since 99% of what I'm doing is just keeping items from sliding around the bed of the truck it's mostly bungies. Maybe with two corner to corner ratchet straps to hold it all down tight. Maybe rolling on the freeway at 80MPH might break them loose but at that point I think you have bigger issues to worry about.

Personally I like the ratchets over cam-locks. I like the feel of being able to click just one or two more turns and feel it lock solidly than tugging on the cams and letting the cam grab it as you let go. Just be sure to watch a video on how to do ratchet straps. When I first used them back in the day I thought you spooled the slack onto the ratchet like cable on a winch. Now I know you just slide the excess through and get a few good turns to let friction hold it tight.
Whatever you do, upgrade from those plastic buckles. Anything is better than that.

Reactions: WVI

Riptide

Explorer
Accra, or Mac’s Tie-Downs.

Ancra will make you straps to your specs, if you like. I had them make up a couple with shorter straps between the ratchet and hook a few years ago...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online