Good match for a Pinzgauer

GadgetPhreak

Observer
I'm interested in setting up a trailer for use behind my 1972 Pinzgauer 710m. Primary use is for camping and exploring with typical duration being 3-5 days.

I use the Pinz for Search and Rescue so want to keep the camping gear in the trailer so as not to interfere with SAR configuration.

I will also use it for car shows and events where we are trying to attract people so we can talk about outdoor safety, the ten essentials, etc. so I would like it to be something that has a consistent look and feel, uses the Pintle hitch, and will track well behind the Pinz.

Equipment I'm planning to install include a roof top tent, ARB fridge, water, stove, fuel, fox wing awning, and camping supplies.

Here's a few recent pics of my rig for reference.
af4b7e201f8ca16a2eca43414b6e30af.jpg
f7d4c8f40b4648d7d93b9339a5e96634.jpg
fc47e1367643268233929e485fe93f86.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm not aware of any trailer offered right now that would provide the clearance and departure angle of the Pinz

How wide is the Pinz ?

My first thought to match would be a military trailer, but I fear they would be too wide.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The trailers the Swiss army used with their Pinzgauers were actually designed for their previous jeep vehicles - so the width, track and wheels don't match the Pinz unfortunately.

I always thought the best trailer would be one made from the rear section of a Pinz - allowing for a complete spare set of axles, brakes, differential etc.

Another option would be a custom trailer using the axle-less timbrem suspension system as that would give similar clearance as the Pinz portal axle setup. To use the original pinz wheels it will require custom spacer/adapters - but that is pretty easy to order up.

The pinz body measures right about 66" wide.

GadgetPhreak

Observer
Anything similar to a M416 is about perfect.
Were you fanatic, you might get a trailer the Swiss used with their 'Pinz fleet.

That's perfect

Does anyone know what trailer that is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Off topic FYI... Number one thing to do on a Pinz is a Roll Cage. They squash notoriously easy from what I heard from another active Penz owner that I have engineering and offroading respect for. He's got a few Unimog or two as well.

GadgetPhreak

Observer
Off topic FYI... Number one thing to do on a Pinz is a Roll Cage. They squash notoriously easy from what I heard from another active Penz owner that I have engineering and offroading respect for. He's got a few Unimog or two as well.

In process. That's next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCall Pinz

Observer
I posted some photos of my M416 and 710M Pinz a while ago-
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158140-M416-and-Pinzgauer
and
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10362
The M416 works really well with the Pinzgauer, they track perfectly, and are easy to tow. Ground clearance isn't too different than the Pinz and with a stock hitch they're really maneuverable. Sometimes they're a bit limited in stock form without a tailgate, but there are plenty of creative ways to work with that. The Swiss Sutter trailers are "correct", have several upgrades from the M416 with a tailgate and legs, but personally I think they're too low. As mentioned, they also don't match Pinz rims so you'd have to make adapters in either case. (I may finally be able to make a few more adapters BTW) A lifted Sutter with matching rims would be the ticket!

Last edited:

GadgetPhreak

Observer
I posted some photos of my M416 and 710M Pinz a while ago-
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/158140-M416-and-Pinzgauer
and
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10362
The M416 works really well with the Pinzgauer, they track perfectly, and are easy to tow. Ground clearance isn't too different than the Pinz and with a stock hitch they're really maneuverable. Sometimes they're a bit limited in stock form without a tailgate, but there are plenty of creative ways to work with that. The Swiss Sutter trailers are "correct", have several upgrades from the M416 with a tailgate and legs, but personally I think they're too low. As mentioned, they also don't match Pinz rims so you'd have to make adapters in either case. (I may finally be able to make a few more adapters BTW) A lifted Sutter with matching rims would be the ticket!

Great looking trailer! You're right, the lines do go really well with the Pinz. I love the adapters to match your Pinz, that's definitely on my list. However I have Mercedes ML 5 on 112 bolt pattern due to my disc brake conversion so the stock Pinz bolt pattern wouldn't work for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

krick3tt

Adventurer
Always check with these guys. http://www.swissarmyvehicles.com/vehiclelist.php?cat=6

Although the trailer is a 1 tonne and is a bit heavy for the M710 when loaded. Try for a Canadian M101 or the US M416 although the lunette on the M416 will not really work on the pinz, it is too large a diameter. You would need the US military hitch and it is a fit for the pinz with the 4 bolt pattern.
I have had the pinz trailer (sold that, too heavy) and the M416 on my pinz and it did work well. I fabled brackets to work with the RTT from 3/16 steel plate. I sold the trailer to a guy in the Arizona pinz club and the pinz to a guy in ND.
Now driving a LR3.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles