Good 4 man tents? Wife doesn't like the RTT

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Looking for a high quality ground tent.
I have a Maggiolina but my wife goes out several times at night and does not like climbing in and out. It is a hassle

Please recommend a solid, warm ground tent.
Some of my requrements:
1. easy setup
2. not too big- only need to fit 3-4 max.
3. high quality
4. warm - not a thin, summer tent.

I was looking at Cabelas and the Kodiak Flex Bow looked good but weighing in at 65lbs! I just would not want to deal with it.

thanks for any suggestions

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'd look at the Nemo Losi 3P for two primary reasons. 1) It's a beautiful tent and hard to beat. 2) The owner of Nemo, Cam, is a good friend of ExPo and the overland audience as well as being an overlander himself. Tough to beat those arguments.

There are others to consider. I certainly wouldn't put a Cabela's tent in the same league as a Nemo tent, though.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-losi3p-tent

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: If this idea ever appealed to you, these "hatch tents" are fantastic

The sizes are a little diff, but mine (NISSAN)is 10'x10'x9' and the vents/windows will close completely

IMGP0651-Copy.jpg

with or without the vehicle, mine still works for my Jeep JK

IMGP0698.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

RHINO

Expedition Leader
my wife doesnt like RTT's either. we've been happy just sleeping in the bed of the truck under the stars. i am shopping slowly for tents, i seem to know what i want till i see something that makes me think, "hey thats cool too"

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
is the hatch tent warm? Looks open at the top
might be good to open to the suv...

The oztent looks neat but looks like packing it is cumbersome and too expensive

thanks for suggestions

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Looking for a high quality ground tent.
I have a Maggiolina but my wife goes out several times at night and does not like climbing in and out. It is a hassle

Please recommend a solid, warm ground tent.
Some of my requrements:
1. easy setup
2. not too big- only need to fit 3-4 max.
3. high quality
4. warm - not a thin, summer tent.

I was looking at Cabelas and the Kodiak Flex Bow looked good but weighing in at 65lbs! I just would not want to deal with it.

thanks for any suggestions
The flex Bow is a decent tent but as you stated heavy. any canvas tent will be heavy. a tent with a goof full coverage fly is ideal. Do not waste your money on turbo tents/ OZ tents. they are just not worth the coin they ask. Their are a number of 3-4 season tents that are very water proof from companies like Kelty, Big Agnes, Sierra Designs, REI, Cabelas, etc.
I bought a Big Agnes Flying Diamond early this year and we have used it in some pretty cold weather. it is usually about 20* warmer in the tent than out from out own body heat with the fly on and of course with the fly off it is the perfect away from civilization summer tent. I usually shop around with REI and Cabelas. also if your looking for a tent for 2 - get a 4 man, a tent for 4 - get a 6-8 man. The extra room comes in handy. specially if you use blow up matresses.

ratkin

Adventurer
The wife and I've been extremely happy with my mountaineering tent from Ferrino, and a buddy of mine loves his SVALBARD 3 (still in product line-up). We got them back in 1994. Extremely warm when they need to be, but offer great ventilation. Still going strong today and don't leak!

http://www.ferrino.it/en/homepage/products/TENTS/

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I have an older version of the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model tents in both 4 and 8 person sizes. They are very nice tents. There are zip open panels in the top of the tent with screened panels for ventilation. They have two doors with screens and one window with screens. All have zippered panels over the screens also. Several storage pockets and an attic net for storage. It is a dome and has an extra pair of poles so it is very sturdy. I have the aluminum poles and you can also get fiberglass if you prefer.

The tent body hooks to the poles with clips. The fly also uses clips and is held off of the tent body by a couple of inches. The fly covers all the way down almost to the ground all around the tent.

I have used these in rain, snow, and higher temperatures in Moab during the Easter Safari and was always comfortable. I did us a small heater for a few minutes to take off the chill in the mornings to get cleaned up and dressed. One year we got a nasty couple of windstorms and several RV's in the camp lost awnings and some trees were damaged. My tent shimmered slightly.

A bit pricey maybe, but I feel well worth it and they should and will last a long time.

Brock63

Observer
during winter wife and I use Mountain Hardware 3 person...smaller but warms up faster. Wife wants a taller Mountain Hardware so she can sit up at least to dress as she does not want a RTT either. Good luck.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
What is a warm tent? Are you referring to some sort of insulating properties? Or is more about controlled ventilation with conventional thin-walled tent materials?

gophere

Adventurer
Hilleberg
Exped,

neither very well known in the states but if you go with something other than canvas. def check these two out!, I have had my time in a Nemo, take it out of the running...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
From a companion in the quest for the perfect tent.

As long as you are car camping why the worry about weight?
The Flex Bow has the advantage of nearly vertical walls which allows more head room so you can stand up to dress. I have been informed in no uncertain terms that this is important. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94