Good 3rd party Truck Camper insurance?

LosAngeles

Good 3rd party Truck Camper insurance?

Hi all - I had initially had good insurance coverage on our new 2020 Hallmark fiberglass pop-up Truck Camper - then Progressive decided that unless we had our auto insurance with Progressive, they would not insure our Truck camper, as it is too valuable.

Not happy with Progressive! (I do not want to shift my auto insurance to them)

So currently inquiring if our current auto insurer will write the insurance for our Hallmark….. and asking what the exclusions are…

* * * But can anyone recommend good 3rd party RV insurance company? The Hallmark is quite valuable, of course. * * *

We got the Progressive thru Good Sam - the nice thing about the insurance (that is about to be cancelled by Progressive) was that it was *replacement value* for the first 5 years in case of a write off, then it was *price paid* (for the Hallmark) for years 6 and on. That is very good coverage, and I’d like to try to get similar coverage.

In other words, I dont want depreciated coverage, as in a total loss we’d get screwed, especially year 6 and on. :-(

Thanks

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Put ALL you insurance out for a new quote right NOW with "Captive and Independent" insurance agents including the Hallmark. You should continue to do this annually to git the best coverage for the best price.

You will be amazed what you can save when you shop ALL of your insurance needs at once not just one part at a time. Insurance rates vary widely depending upon the insurer, their book of business, their level of risk tolerance, your city and state of residence, your driving record, previous insurance loss record, your credit score and more.

You stated you had "replacement value" coverage with Progressive. Your words. That's depreciating value coverage as your Hallmark is worth less and less each year. All they have to do is "replace" the dollar value of your Hallmark on the date of loss. It's worth less when its 4 years old than when it was 1 year old. This may not be the case in your situation however don't confuse "Replacement Cost" insurance coverage with "Agreed Value" insurance in which both you and the insurer
"Agree" on a value of the Hallmark upfront before coverage is bound. That "Agreed Value" can also change up or down depending upon the market value of the asset. Nowhere near the same type of insurance coverage. As always READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS of any insurance policy, understand them and accept them. If you don't understand them work with your agent so you do understand the insurance contract into which your are entering.,

If you truly do have insurance coverage the pays the full retail price you paid for your Hallmark for the first 5 years and then some number year 6 on I suggest you change a few vehicles over to Progressive as that RV insurance policy is something special!

Don't drink the Kool-Aid from one insurer all the time! Shop ALL your insurance coverages frequently!

Last edited:

LosAngeles

Put ALL you insurance out for a new quote right now including the Hallmark and continue to do annually.

You will be amazed what you can save when you shop ALL of your insurance not just one part.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid from one insurer all the time!

i use an insurance broker to check for me.
So I am fine. No Kool Aid here.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Just remember that "Independent Broker" only quotes insurance companies with whom they are an agent. That misses a lot of insurance companies and ALL of the "Captive Agent" insurance companies.

moorejames

Full Time RVer
Progressive, Foremost and American Modern are three of the largest that "specialize" in insuring RVs.

Most companies are going to insist on insuring the truck as well in the case of truck camper. Kind of hard to separate the two in the event of a claim and better for you to have them with the same company (possibly only one deductible, one company handling the issue, liability for both the truck and camper with same company etc...)

All the major independent and captive companies would likely want to insure both the camper and the truck. Safeco/Liberty Mutual might be worth a look, I know they were trying to build their RV business a few years ago.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We've had AAA for decades and they covered my 2000 poptop for years for peanuts until it had no value to speak of. When I see comparisons of costs for like coverage I never see them listed. With cross coverage discounts and guaranteed coverage( a member of the family got a DUI) they're pretty competitive. Additionally after the 1st year you get dividends. Talk to body shops about who they prefer working with.
You have a lot of money invested in the Hallmark. Lots good suggestions out there.

How much is a new camper and how much is insurance for it? Does the insurance cover just repairing or replacing the camper? Or does it include personal property and most importantly, liability and injury?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94