Gone Moab 2019

nickyill

Observer
I've done the National Land Rover rally in my old D2 with 3" lift, rear locker and front Tru-Trac...had a blast. Now that I am Rover-free and in a stock Titan, just wondering if anyone here has been involved in the Gone Moab event and could offer feedback. Would love to go for the social aspect as well as running some of the mild/easy trails until I decide to build the truck up a few years down the line.

Homercules

I've done GoneMoab a number of times. It's a great time and you get to see so many great areas around Moab. You will get the itch to mod your truck though. I went a bit nuts afterwards now I'm trying to make it less of a rock crawler and more of an overlander. Also, lot of people stay at the Rim Village on the South end of town. Thats where a lot of the Social events are and people just wander around visiting.

I'll be passing through Moab after Overland Expo next year but won't have time to stay...well maybe a visit.

PGtroll

GONEMoab is amazing! I've been a couple times and plan on going back next year.
The trails are a blast and the scenery is to die for!
The social aspect is great, theres always people meeting up after the runs as well as a few planned events (make sure you bring some money for the raffle!). I've met tons of people that I'm still in contact with years later.
You will get bitten by the mod bug when you're there, I'm currently working on upgrades for my Safari for 2020.

nickyill

Observer
Modding the new Titan in non-XD form is not really easy at the moment. No rear locker available, no winch bumpers, no great after market lift for real off road use out there either. Pretty much street queen spacers and the Icon lift which is still an expensive unknown for performance and reliability. Plan on keeping things stock until the aftermarket options open up, so any Moab trip would only include stock friendly trails. Wasn’t sure if anybody shows up in stock trucks or not...did just see registration for 2019 just opened up.

XJay

I am in a similar place with a mostly stock '03 Xterra on 31s and was concerned about the feasibility of taking my truck on some of the easier trails as well. Sounds like a very friendly and receptive group but my concern was mostly with my truck's capabilities as I would be a first timer at Moab.

Homercules

A little armour and a bit of a lift (31's help) and you'll have a blast. Easy on the throttle and don't stab your brakes are the biggest rule. The traction on slickrock is incredible and its easy to hit your brakes too hard and lift wheels or get on the throttle and break a CV (especially climbing/dropping off ledges). Don't be afraid to ask someone to spot for you. Also, even the easiest trails can have super steep sections so secure your gear.
Edit you should have no problem doing green and blue trails (start on green :) )

XJay

Thanks for the positive feedback and sorry for the thread hi-jack! This has been a long time in the planning so am hopeful this is my year!

nickyill

Observer
No thread hi jacking, just a similar on point concern! I’ve been off road with a stock Xterra back in my Land Rover days in muddy/rocky Canada...very capable vehicle...

XJay

So far it's been a great truck since I got the necessary maintenance issues sorted.

nickyill are you Canadian? I'm from Calgary Alberta Canada.

nickyill

Observer
No I am not, love Canada and have had many off road adventures in Ontario with Canadian friends. Alberta always looked like a great place for hitting some wide open trails...especially now that I have a full size truck.

PGtroll

I think it was in 2017 that we had a totally stock extended cab long box Titan attend GONEmoab, he didnt have any issues that I know of.
I'd invest in a set of rock sliders personally.

If you have any reservations about attending because of how your truck is equipped or the trails that you'd be okay for hop on the GONEmoab Facebook page and message Bill Eirish - he'll give you a list of what would be acceptable trails for you.

People are always willing to spot an obstacle for you and are generally very helpful in general.

Last edited:

nickyill

Observer
Thanks for the info - still waiting for some rock sliders to be available for the new Titan non-XD's, so far only steps on the market. I would definitely want sliders and at the very least the uprated shocks from the PRO-4X before hit any trails. Still not many sturdy off-road lift options available yet, just leveling kits and the ICON lift which I havent seen any offroad reviews of....

I think it was in 2017 that we had a totally stock extended cab long box Titan attend GONEmoab, he didnt have any issues that I know of.
I'd invest in a set of rock sliders personally.

If you have any reservations about attending because of how your truck is equipped or the trails that you'd be okay for hop on the GONEmoab Facebook page and message Bill Eirish - he'll give you a list of what would be acceptable trails for you.

People are always willing to spot an obstacle for you and are generally very helpful in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz