Goldi-Locker gets upgrades. 1999 Montero Build Thread

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
Vehicle: 1999 Montero with locker.

Goldi-locker was purchased in LA quite a while back to fill the montero void in our life...

After 2 years of moderate to heavy use for a stock truck, it has held up great. Recently I installed a new denso alternator, new trans lines, added new fluid and put in a fresh-from-the-dealer coolant reservoir. Then stabbed four new Bilstein 5100 long travel shocks and stainless skidplates, total shock install took about two hours, 30 minutes each, I didn't take any of my wheels off and only used a floor jack and some hand tools.

The real trick to installing these long travel shocks is a good long wood working clamp, safety protection of course, and some strong string. I used the wood clamp to compress the shocks, tied them off with the string and popped them in. The trick to removing the stock shocks was to tie them off with the vehicle at rest, then jack the truck up and undo the bolts, they remain compressed and slip out nice and easy. The skids bolted up to the stock location so no real thought was needed here, i dropped the old flimsy stamped mild-steel units and replaced them with some super robust 10 gauge stainless formed pieces...

IMG_9171.JPG

IMG_9172.JPG

Saturday after the install I went out with the local crew to some rocky trails, the 5100's ride very plush, they soak up terrain and make washboard roads feel like mall parking lots. I was so impressed with the quality of the ride, i decided I wouldnt air down my tires so I could see just how nice the Bilstein 5100 is compared to a KYB... I did the same trail a year prior with the same truck on KYB's and it beat the heck out of me, I even aired down on that run...

The whole day went smooth, the ride was good with the tires at full pressure, but the trail kept getting rockier and rockier, at one point as we casually strolled through a rubble road I said to myself, or maybe to my co-pilot CJ "I think I should air down" - but we were almost to the secret lake, so whatever, I'll be fine, the exit is right after the lake anyho-PSSSSH 'oh no, is that us? That's us!" PSSSSH rear tire encountered a very sharp knife edged rock with the sidewall. My tires are Yokohama Geolander A/T-S in 31x10.50R15 on some 15x8 turbine wheels, perfect for a stock truck, especially a gen 2.5 with 4.27 gears... After swapping on the spare I caught back up with the gang and it was decided, Ive got the front 4.90's, the rears will be here soon, it's time for 33's...

24177806_304412990062813_1311353575321894912_n.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
After the 31 Geolander was sliced and the order of new tread pattern 33 inch Geolander AT's arrived, the truck looked a bit low-slung... after a rock garden trail the following weekend, it was confirmed, rocker panel death is immanent, the larger tires allow for tougher paths, tough paths generally mean damage. Time for a lift and some sliders;

26229499_1188835604584018_8108251445380769412_n.jpg

The to-do list for upcoming weeks;

install 2" lift
install 4.90 gear sets
install prototype headers
flush cooling system
begin heater core swap (we'll see if i get to this one)

Here's a pic of the headers:
IMG_9118.jpg

zerodrift

Adventurer
The build looks good! I have to admit the build has inspired mine a bit. I'll be doing the same type of setup with tire size, lift and protection.

How will the 4.9 gearing do with the 33's?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
The build looks good! I have to admit the build has inspired mine a bit. I'll be doing the same type of setup with tire size, lift and protection.

How will the 4.9 gearing do with the 33's?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Thanks man! The truck gets driven in two ways; spirited driving by me along with law-biding communing and slow scenic trails (last two usually include my gf as passenger), and easy-does-it errands and work commutes by my girlfriend, she's very conservative in her driving. So the gears with 33's will make this truck a optimal mpg / mountain goat. The most mpg gains will be made practically idling up to speed as she drives and power on tap at the blip of the throttle, especially in low-range for me. It'll definitely have the Dakar spirit and be geared for that sort of driving. If I was still on the flat-lands of the midwest I'd run 35's, but I'm constantly climbing mountains these days.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I got a cool new thing but i can't post a full photo of it yet :(

Here's a teaser pic of it, full bolt together/ weld together bumper kit:

30085805_160082401337319_2764098934316990464_n-500x500.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
30602131_198309330782126_5997448072496414720_n.jpg

It's legit. It's a prototype though, it was hand plasma cut, shaped and loosely welded, not machine laser cut, machine formed and fully welded like the first article will be, heck, this one is not even fully welded! Just had to get the shape together for the CAD drawings. Once the first article comes out there will be a whole spread of photos, but for the very rough prototype, just teaser shots. I wouldnt want anyone thinking thats our final product or the photo being used out of context and it giving any impression of our level of work. That said, if you're coming to overland expo, i'll have my truck with me.

Recently acquired a 3.8 revision for the truck. If the ECU's get sorted in the next few years, I see an eaton in Goldi-locker's future. Not too big... not too small... just the right amount of boost.

IMG_1207.jpg

Last edited:

WyoTero

30602131_198309330782126_5997448072496414720_n.jpg

It's legit. It's a prototype though, it was hand plasma cut, shaped and loosely welded, not machine laser cut, machine formed and fully welded like the first article will be, heck, this one is not even fully welded! Just had to get the shape together for the CAD drawings. Once the first article comes out there will be a whole spread of photos, but for the very rough prototype, just teaser shots. I wouldnt want anyone thinking thats our final product or the photo being used out of context and it giving any impression of our level of work. That said, if you're coming to overland expo, i'll have my truck with me.

Recently acquired a 3.8 revision for the truck. If the ECU's get sorted in the next few years, I see an eaton in Goldi-locker's future. Not too big... not too small... just the right amount of boost.

View attachment 445220
that bumper is dope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles