Going today to look at a FZJ80... need suggestions

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have never rebuilt a Toyota LC 6 cylinder, but I hear they can be quite expensive to keep running. I bet you will get $1500 just into the head project. If I had to make that decision, I would weigh the LS option. You can buy a takeout 5.3 Tahoe motor for $1800. A couple adapters, cooling system, fuel system, exhaust and wiring...let's say another $3000. Two weeks worth of install. You would have one hell of an all purpose rig.

What's under the hood doesn't matter so much to me as long as it has enough power to get out of it's own way, which the stock FZJ80 does not.

What is this fascination with turning a reliable and capable 4x4 into a dragster?? My FZJ had totally acceptable power even running 35s in the mountains. If you want a fast car, buy a Corvette. I believe they come with a GM V8 and you don't even have to do a conversion!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
It came home with me, title in hand for 450 bucks. Now let re bringing back to life begin!

That's a great deal! Get a factory service manual, a few gaskets and start in to it! (You might want to budget a rainy weekend to spend in the 80 series section on 'mud!). If you do the work yourself, (it's not super hard), you should be able to get the head gasket and PHH done in a weekend. Then I'd go drive it and see what you think. I'd put money into baseline repairs and suspension updates etc before I'd put $3000-$10,000 into a motor you don't need.

(Yes, V8 power is nice, but not necessary).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles