Going to the junkyard to pull some 4.90 gears

icant4x4heretoo

So, I'm about ready to pull the rear diff/3rd member and front diff. Off of 2001+Montero Sport 3.5L. For my 2.5 gen with lockers.

I have few leads but they are about 1-2+ hrs away so I really need to get what is needed and what tools to have.

I have gone around and searched but some how all info come up short and scattered as to what actually needs to be pulled and done.

For the rear diff.
I don't need to disassemble the brakes? I can remove the 4 nuts behind the brake system and be able to pull out the axles over 4 inches, each side?

Disconnect the driveshaft. Have BFH and pray the diff comes loose with just few blows and not land on me ?

The front diff.
Reading eurosonic thread it seems he just dropped the diff from the passenger side to slip out the drivers side CV axle.

do I need the longer CV axle from the Sport? To swap the whole unit in to get rid of the thrash?

If so I need to take apart the brakes and I will that big ass socket for 4x4.

And I will be doing @Shovel s rewire so that the 4x4 stops blinking.

Oh any special tools I need? And any tips!
This my 1st 4x4 to work on and I'm just your home spanner thrower. ?

Last edited:

icant4x4heretoo

And the 1st one was 2001 Sport I was looking to pick apart. I didn't know that and never came across that info. The other 2-3 are 2002/+. Well looks like I'm going for a long road trip.

Yeah manual hubs are on the list along with new suspension parts, bearings and seals.

So other then intermediate shaft. Which is on the passenger side. I don't need the longer CV axle of the Sport. So I can just grease and reboot mines?

evomaki

Observer
You can just great and re-boot yours. That's what I did when I swapped a 4.90 into my 4.27 ten 2.5. Incidentally, that was an informative post by Shovel. For instance, I had no idea about the use of the manual hubs. That if proceeding with out said hubs, you'd run the ring and pinion on the back of the gears. I installed locking hubs, but not because I knew there was a very important reason to do so. I just thought it would be a good idea. Little did I know. Someone clever on this board also did the trick where the signal wires from the center auto disconnect (which will not be there on a sport diff) were somehow connected to a relay installed where the vacuum solenoids are, and no more blinking lights when in 4wd. Looks like you have a gen 2.5 as well. Adding an aftermarket locker? Also, people said you could leave the hard brake lines installed in the rear. Technically, yes, but you really needed to "stretch" them a bit more than what felt pleasant to do. At the junkyard, who cares, but I might disconnect them on your ride, and use that as an opportunity to install some new brake fluid.

icant4x4heretoo

I got a 99' winter package so it came with factory lockers. Maybe down the road I'll get the front lockers but that is way down road.

I understood why we needed manual hubs because it was AWD system getting mated up to a 4x4 system. but I didn't know that the back gears of it would heat up like that. Or even the fact that some 2001 sports have super select.

(...hmmm any tell tell visuals would identify that it's a super select off the bat. )

Thanks! looks like I know what to pull now.

icant4x4heretoo

Ok, now I'm confused.

I will be swapping in an 2002+ Sports AWD front carrier assembly.

I will be using my axles from off my 1999 SR. And The axles/carrier mounting brackets.

A manual hubs are needed to disconnect the front axles, so that I can be in a proper 2wd.

So how will it not have 2wd?

The light are done so it won't bug me.

And what about the ABS i didn't see that when searching on how to swap 4.90 gear.

I wanted to used the whole assembly so that wouldn't have to deal the gears not meshing correctly and end up spending for new ones.

icant4x4heretoo

Got it!

I won't be throwing away any of my original 4x4 system or bring it back. For as a core. (Too far away) I will be storing it as a spare, just in case. Also if i don't like how this setup operate. I have the option to go back to the CAD.

PaydayGabe

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️, Locker talk! Uhhhhh!
Anyway ?,
My 02 Sport 3.5L AWD w/4.9's is the basic version w/ no locking anything system that I can figure out.
That said,, my intention is for total simplicity and reliability and I would really like to install a ratchet style locker in the rear diff. Any ideas/ comments/ links to Mfg/ from the Inmates would be great.
Finding this is more difficult than it should be. Cheers ?, G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles