Going to Baja this Friday...planning help needed!

RIDGE

Adventurer
I'm taking my girlfriend to Baja for a week, starting Friday. I want to go on the east side, south of San Felipe. We are looking for a quiet beach to camp on in our 4x4 van. I don't want to drive all the way to Cabo, but not afraid to go quite a ways down there.

My questions are:
Is it a bad idea to take my Great Dane? We would feel more comfortable with him there.

Does the Sea of Cortez offer good coves and sight seeing suitable for 3 seat personal watercraft? If so, where would you suggest camping?

Otherwise, we just plan on drinking a lot and wearing a little!

The van is pretty capable for off-road. It has 35 inch Goodyear MTRs, limited slip in the rear, and I'm an off-road racer ( I can break anything!)

Thanks!
Chris

YukonRob

Adventurer
Gonzaga or Bay of LA, depending on how far down you want to go. Bay of LA is a favorite - lots to do in the area.
The San Felipe 250 is this weekend, so there will be race related traffic.

RIDGE

Adventurer
I was thinking of ditching the PWC and doing this:

Whale watching in Guerro Negro
A night in San Ignacio
3 nights camping on the Bay of Conception
Then head home.

Can we rent kayaks or something on the Bay of Conception?

YukonRob

Adventurer
Sounds like an excellent trip - not sure you can rent kayaks there, maybe at playa santispac, but not sure. Head to playa armenta to avoid people- it just about our favorite spot that far south.

RIDGE

Adventurer
Okay, here's my finalized trip:

Friday night - Sleep near the border and cross early Saturday morning.

Saturday - Drive to Santo Tomas, hang a right onto the Baja 1000 race course and go to the coast. Head south along the coast and sleep around Colonet.

Sunday - Pick up Hwy 1 an get down to Guererro Negro so we can watch whales on Monday morning.

Monday - After the whale watching, drive to San Ignacio, look around, and continue on to Mulege.

Tuesday through Thursday - Camp, fish, kayak, drink, eat!

Friday - Leave early and drive trails up to San Felipe (once the Hwy goes west).

Saturday - Take pavement to Valley T and then pick up the 1000 race course again back over to Hwy 1 and head home.

I raced these sections on a bike at the 1000 last year, so I'm comfortable my van will make it.

I wish I could post pics from my iPhone on this site...I'd show you guys my van (and military trailer!)

I'll have my Spot Tracker on and it's linked to my Facebook page. My profile pic is Steve McQueen riding a bike with no shirt on. There's only a couple Chris Ridgways on there anyway.

Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles