Going on first 10-day "expedition", need help choosing what stuff to bring

zimm17

Observer
I have lots of experience backpacking, camping, tiny RV'ing (Casita), but my upcoming trip is my first "overlander" doing 10 days on the roads and trails across Georgia. We'll have 4 jeeps, but I'm packing like I'm going solo just in case. We have a designated trail chef cooking all the meals, but again, I want to be self sufficient in case he bails or breaks down.

I have a lot of gear to choose from and I'm not sure what's best as far as the kitchen stuff goes. I have stoves ranging from an alcohol cat food can stove, iso-butane burners, MSR windburner, 2 burner coleman (liquid and propane versions), to a dual burner Partner stove. For this trip I'm leaning towards the iso-butane windburner for water, and the single burner cooker for using with pots.

Pots and pans- thinking a 10" frying pan and 1 quart pot. Leave the tiny mess kits, huge 3qt, and tea pot at home. Single mess bowl/plate/spork for me.

Washing tub- no idea?

Tables- I have folding aluminum ones- a 20x20 and a 43x28. Leaning towards the small one.

Camp chair is covered. Tent, I'm going with a ultralight 3 person from my collection. Sleeping bag and fleece. Self inflating mattress.

We're doing a single night test camp this weekend to test out our selected gear.

Any pointers would be great.

V-max

Roast over an open fire with a grill out of an old oven, weiner sticks, a dutch oven and a cast iron frying pan. A percolator for the morning coffee and a case of red wine to sip while watching the coffee brew.

ChasingOurTrunks

Sounds like a fun adventure! Glad you have friends to do it with, too! I have some ideas for you:

Pots and pans- thinking a 10" frying pan and 1 quart pot. Leave the tiny mess kits, huge 3qt, and tea pot at home. Single mess bowl/plate/spork for me.

If you already have a designated camp chef who is going to look after meals and such, and you are just bringing “just in case” stuff, then a single burner stove, a metal container (cup or small pot), and dehydrated meals will be your best bet. If you end up eating with the team every night, you can keep the meals for 10+ years. If you do lose your chef, you have calories to get you home. I highly recommend Chilli Mac and Beef from Mountain House. I’d also suggest bringing along a few treats like hot chocolate, tea, instant coffee, etc. — those things that make you feel good and give you a little calorie pop in case you need it.

The above is also plenty sufficient for a solo trip. The biggest enemy in your platform is going to be weight, so bring your backpacking experience with you and look for lightweight, multifunction gear.

Washing tub- no idea?

Are you bringing a bucket? Buckets are useful for lots of stuff.

Tables- I have folding aluminum ones- a 20x20 and a 43x28. Leaning towards the small one.

Is anyone else bringing a table? If yes, I’d bring the small one. If not, I’d bring the bigger one as the smaller one is not good enough for more than one person — having a table is handy for all involved.

Camp chair is covered. Tent, I'm going with a ultralight 3 person from my collection. Sleeping bag and fleece. Self inflating mattress.

Perfectly good for the tent — but bring a tarp and some paracord Just in case. Again, many uses, like the bucket.

In terms of other advice, what is your plan for water? It looks like you have food and shelter covered. If you are cooking the freeze dried stuff and only brining one pot, you may not need a ton of water with you — If I were you I’d bring 5 gallons with a method to acquire more and a filter for backup. The only thing different about a 10 day overlanding trip as compared to a 10 day camping/backpacking trip is the vehicle — so if you are going with other jeeps that are the same model as yours, you might be able to coordinate common tools/spares (though I’m a big proponent of being self sufficient in this regard; this is an opportunity for space and weight savings which might be a practical necessity).

There’s much more to discuss on the various facets of a 10 day trip but I think you are absolutley on the right track by doing a test night first. Great idea and something more folks should do.

zimm17

Observer
Thanks for the inputs. I think I'll whittle down my kitchen gear bag to just my titanium pot and little single burner. MSR Windburner is my hot water/coffee making machine. They use the same fuel.

Water- I have a 5 gallon spectre water can. I figure I can refill it at campgrounds along the way. I also have a 2 gallon round drinking water dispenser that might fit in the jeep too.

I already have mountain house meals in my hurricane readiness supplies, so I can take them along for the ride.

Parts and spares, 3 of us are in JK wranglers and 1 in a JL. I have a spare belt, radiator hoses, steering hoses (I have hydraulic ram), fluids, tools, etc. Another Jeep has a chainsaw. We all have recovery gear and radios.

I have plenty of room, driving solo in a 4 door for the first time in a long while!

ChasingOurTrunks

In most of Canada, the tap water is perfectly safe and I’m sure the same is true of Georgia, so if you are ever stuck for a refill of your Jerry can just ask at the gas stations when you stop. I usually do, and they often have a closet with a tap for filling mop bucks, and most are willing to let you fill a 5 gallon can.

There’s a new article on the main page for packing for a trip, looks like it just released the other day and might provide further insight.

Otherwise — food, water, shelter, a reliable vehicle (or a plan for when it’s not reliable) is really all you need. Bring a good attitude and your 10 day trip will be a blast!

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I always try (sometimes I forget things) to bring everything that I need with a few dedicated spares, including some backup canned goods (chili, stew etc).
If going multiple days away from filling stations; an extra 10 gallons of fuel (minimum, trip dependent).
For me around 7.5 gallons of potable water is enough for 10 days but it depends on your usage (personnel dependent); wash/clean up can use stream water... If you already have a filter it would not hurt to bring it as backup.
... as mentioned a bucket (mine is canvas & folds)
Something to use as a washbasin (collapsible/folding basin)...Never had a use for a washtub (ala Beverly Hillbillies) but always figured that it could be fitted around the spare tire... If you need to do laundry a 5 gallon bucket with lid some soap, water and a bumpy road/trail works... some clothes pins and 550 cord to dry.
Wash up, before you go to bed; it keeps the bag cleaner.
I always have a smallish campfire grate as backup for my own stove.
A U.S.G.I e-tool is very good at digging cat holes for sanitation... bring extra TP in a water proof container (usually means that I have 2 rolls along, 1 in the gear, 1 in the Jeep).
I always bring my own tent (in an emergency others can share the floor).
I always bring at least one extra chair; for visitors, or in case someone forgets.
A moving blanket can be used as an expedient pad and blanket.
My normal supplies includes a couple of plates and sets of el-cheap-o wally mart stainless, NOT PLASTIC, flatware/grubb'in tools.
I would never see any reason to visit REI (not a fan)...
Extra very heavy duty garbage bags are usually a good idea.
A medium tarp and 550 cord and be used to rig a sun/rain shelter/roof.
I always bring more than enough food and Beer in ammo cans (for bear resistance and to prevent the beer cans from developing leaks).
of course all of the Jeep spares, tools, rescue gear etc. are always in the Jeep.
A way to recharge USB devices is usually a good idea (including your cellphone cord).
An insulated coffee cup (my gear includes all the require coffee gear including an extra insulated tumbler)

The most borrowed items; my snatch strap and shackles, the extra chair, an extra spoon, knife fork etc., the extendable hot dog/marshmallow forks, the cutting board and small fixed blade (for cooking) and the air compressor for airing up. First aid supplies; large fabric bandaids and elastic bandages (vetwrap).

When I was wheeling with folks that used junk vehicles a welding setup; I don't carry it, or the winch anymore.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Frogprince

Observer
My old go to for cooking was a grate from an old grill ( can buy at Home Depot). Though now I have a biolite and it has taken over that duty. I don't have to make a fire ring or pit. Just fold out some legs and off it goes.

My daily carry in the adventure rig is;
Jumper Cables
Tow Strap
Tool Kit
Folding Camp Shovel
First Aid Kit
Flint and Steel
Matches and Lighter
Hatchet
Solar Blankets
Pistol with Ammo
Knife
Toliet Paper

Now if I am going out solo for a few days I have all the above and;
Pad, Sleeping bag
Pillow
Water 2x1 Gallon for drinking and emergencies
Water Bottles (5-10 depending on the trip length)
Camelback
Small Cooler for beer and food
Spork
Dry food goods

zimm17

Observer
I did all the above and had extra room so I packed my bigger table and blackstone 17" flat top so I can rock breakfast on our 1 night test camp tomorrow.

C05A8330-CD75-49B6-B71F-552DEE0CB9D9.jpg

zimm17

Observer
I ordered an NRS bail pail. Great reviews and they make awesome paddling gear. Won't have it for tomorrow, but in time for the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke