GoCycle Review/observations

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Beloved Spouse and I have been fairly serious bike enthusiasts since the 1980's, touring in the US and Europe and I even did some very amateur racing. On our last trip to Canada we took our Cannondale MTB's along for fun as as toads. The bike riding was fun, but we did not have an external rack (because I missed a trick on how we could have mounted one) and so I had to knock them down to carry inside - a colossal PITA. All of this is a long lead up to meeting a Canadian couple riding GoCycles. The first appeal is that they knock down quickly and stow easily, even into a Sprinter type RV.

The owners let us ride them and we were incredibly impressed. They ride like full size bikes and the pedals-as-accelerator proved to be very natural. Long story getting longer, we bought a pair and now have over 100 miles on them, using them as a toad, riding the bike trails, and going to market. We especially wanted something that could do toad duty, e.g. up to five miles into town for dinner/shopping in street, not cycling, clothes. There are three models - basic, which we bought, fast fold, for subways and buses, and the deluxe model.

Unlike many e-bikes which are bicycles with a motor attached, the GoCycle is is clean sheet new design. As such it does some clever/different things - for example, the bicycle drive train is a basic Shimano three speed (takes me back to my childhood! Anyone remember Sturmey-Archer?) and is NOT motorized. Instead, the motor is in the front hub.

So, we like:

-- Rides like a good, stiff road bike. No wobbles, etc. Position is upright but good. Geometry seems to be well thought out to assure that even with 20" wheels, the handling is not twitchy. The rear is alleged to be sprung, but I can confess that I feel any suspension effect.

-- Handles asphalt and dry canal tow path easily. (Note the lack of suspension feel.) No good in sand. Would not attempt anything technical.

-- Brilliant engineering - folds easily, assembles securely, no exposed oil or grease, front pannier, racks, etc. all secure.

-- Fast and fun to ride. The bike is controlled by a phone app and you can dial in the amount of boost you want and when you get it. At the high/easy end, it is basically an electric motor cycle - touch the pedals (or the boost button) and you are off. At the other extreme, you won't see any boost until your speed is over some 10 mph. You want a workout - these beasts are heavier than a classic bike and you can feel it if you want to. Range is a function of your speed, weight, terrain, and boost. Based on what I have read, the absolute worst you will see is around 15-20 miles.

Draw backs? Not inexpensive, either the bikes or the accessories. I might like dropped handlebars (but you can fit bar ends) and some form of folding/quick release SPD pedal. That's about it.

Offered for your enjoyment, scholars differ, YMMV, etc.

interested in something in this vein for the future. only drawback i see in the specs is the 220# limit.

from my mup riding, most folks i see on electric bikes going 20 mph are overweight and not having the agility to ride a pedal bike at half that speed. i think they're an accident waiting to happen.

helmet? we don't need no stinking helmet!

*edit: gocycle advertising manager may wish to revise the "GoCycle POS" heading for their proprietary service tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste