Goblin Valley/Capitol Reef/Swell Trip

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
What a trip... :cool:

Saturday: We left SLC around 6:00 and pulled into Goblin Valley ~9:00, not bad considering the 20mph speeds up Spanish in the snow. Craig & his wife had already set up a great camp just south of Temple Mountain.

Sunday: We headed off to check out the Hidden Splendor Mine and some of Reds Canyon, we were hoping to connect Hidden Splendor with Factory Butte, but despite the EVIDENT roads that have been there for 50+ years, it si a WSA now :rolleyes: . So, we trekked back to HWY24 and headed down to Hanksville for some fuel. After some grub at Blondies we left Hanksville and headed to Cainville on 24, from there we were back on dirt heading north on Cainville Wash. Passed a couple of those troubled youth groups with handcarts, the Bentonite Hills (really cool colors!) and made out way to Capitol Reef via the east entrance. We stopped to check out the Lower & Uppers South Desert Overlooks & the Cathedral Valley area . We tried to make it over the HWY72 via 1000 Lakes road... but got stopped by a couple feet of snow. Craig & I did give it a hell of a try :D So, we ended up going north on Cathedral Valley road and via dirt all the way up to I70. It was getting late so we hit the pavement and called it a night in Ferron.

Monday: Topped off the tanks in Ferron, and headed right into the Swell via Horn Siver Gulch. Headed north in search of the "dangerous river crossing" on the San Rafael River... could get ugly in some rain. Proceeded north to Clevland (Quarry was closed ), checked out the Desert Lake Waterfowl area, Victor Cemetary, & Mounds and headed back the Wellington for a late lunch & a soda. Spent an hour or so in Helper at the antique store (museum was closed ) and bombed back to SLC.

Gas: ~50 gallons
Miles: ~600

40's RULE! & Epperson's 70 was great too

A couple of shots (more will be on my website)

cruiseroutfit

A couple of pics :D

Attachments

• PIC 027 (Medium).jpg
    PIC 027 (Medium).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 84
  • PIC 037 (Medium).jpg
    PIC 037 (Medium).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 93
  • PIC 045 (Medium).jpg
    PIC 045 (Medium).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 55
  • PIC 070 (Medium).jpg
    PIC 070 (Medium).jpg
    78 KB · Views: 91
  • PIC 076 (Medium).jpg
    PIC 076 (Medium).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 72
  • PIC 093 (Medium).jpg
    PIC 093 (Medium).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 85

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
Kurt, looks like you guys had a fun time, Was there not but a little over a month ago. Started at Goblin Valley, working my way north through the swell(stayed on the main roads as I was alone). All the way through the swell to Castlegate. Then to Moab in the later part of the week to meet up with Red Fox. This was supposed to be the trip that I explore Robbers Roost but didn't work out. Wish I would have known you guys were heading out that way. Next time. :camping:

Attachments

• flat top road_ from goblin valleya.jpg
    flat top road_ from goblin valleya.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 59
  • CONVAR4a.jpg
    CONVAR4a.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 45
  • CONVAR63 Ih8mud1.jpg
    CONVAR63 Ih8mud1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 49
  • CONVAR45.jpg
    CONVAR45.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 88
  • the tightest part of the traila.jpg
    the tightest part of the traila.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 48

cruiseroutfit

bh4rnnr said:
... Next time. :camping:

You bet... looks like I will be down that way (Swell-Moab) at least once every month til' June. We are planning a more in depth Swell/Arapeen trip this coming summer too. :D I'll let you know what comes up!

Scott Brady

Founder
Kurt! That 70 series is a great machine. Is it owned by a guy named Wes? I know of a Wes in CO that has a grey 70 with pizza cutters. Very cool machine.

If I had a minimalist approach to adventure (which at time, I wish I did), and could live in a cabin somewhere back in the mountains, my only vehicle would be a 70 diesel. :beer:

CLynn85

Explorer
Thanks for the great report. Looks like a fun trip. And that SWB 70 Series is too cool, how'd that get over here? Cute chick as well ;)

cruiseroutfit

expeditionswest said:
Kurt! That 70 series is a great machine. Is it owned by a guy named Wes? I know of a Wes in CO that has a grey 70 with pizza cutters. Very cool machine...

You are thinking of Wes Worek, another great customer of mine with a cool :cool: BJ70. This one belongs to a local buddy name Craig, he has done quite a few mods including SOA w/FJ60 axles, T-case gears, turbo kit, ARB's & gears F&R, etc. Very trailworthy & reliable rig. It was nice wheeling with someone else that has a 400 mile range on a single tank :cool:

cruiseroutfit

CLynn85 said:
Thanks for the great report. Looks like a fun trip. And that SWB 70 Series is too cool, how'd that get over here? Cute chick as well ;)

He legally imported it after spending a couple years living in Canada, clean Utah title and all :D

and Thanks ;)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Kurt, sounds like it was a pretty good trip. Thanks for posting up the report and the pics. Those are a couple of outstanding rigs! Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles