GoalZero Yeti 400 Lithium only puts out 10.9 volts

Umbrarian

Observer
Fully charged my IB GoalZero Yeti 400 Lithium,and today went to run my ARB fridge off 12V DC, and did not work. I switched to AC power, it worked fine.

When I got home I tested everything, and it seems in DC mode the GoalZero Yeti 400 Lithium only was putting out 10.9 volts, not enough to power the ARB.

Anyone seen this or know of a solution?

I will be calling GZ monday but was just wondering if this is a known issue/known fix.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
fully charge you should be getting 12.6 volts, below is the voltage versus percentage. The 10.9 volt you get is that the no-load voltage? because that is almost empty.

9.9v = 0%
10.5v = 2.9%
10.8v = 5.0%
11.1v = 8.6%
11.4v = 36%
11.7v = 62%
12.0v = 73%
12.15v = 83%
12.3v = 89%
12.45v = 94%
12.6v = 100%

I don't have a goal zero, but do have a similar lithium powerpack and the only time its fully charge and the no load voltage is low is when the BMS (battery management system) trips to protect the battery. To reset I have to unplug the bms then replug or just connect a load to the output sometimes will reset it. I checked the manual on your lithium powerpack, I didnt see any mention of a reset button.

Umbrarian

Observer
10.9 is no load and 100% charged, it will run fridge for 30 hrs or so on AC. It is like there is a voltage limiter on DC.

bjornb

Someone has asked this very question on the GZ Q&A page:

smith · 6 days ago
If the lithium batteries are 10.8 volts then I assume there is a "step up" to convert this to 12 volts for the 12 volt outlet ports on the unit? If so it should be a constant voltage regardless of the level of charge of the battery?

GoalZeroSupport · 4 days ago
Thanks for reaching out to Goal Zero! This is not the case, unfortunately. There is no step up, as the DC outputs provide battery Voltage. We’ve found most equipment to function given this Voltage range with the exception of some “Low Voltage Protected” DC fridges. If you have any other questions concerning this please contact us by phone at 1-888-794-6250 or by email at support@goalzero.com Have a great solar day!

That means Yeti 400 Li use a 3S liIon setup, and a voltage of about 12.6V fully charged as mentioned above, and around 10V or so when discharged. My Waeco compressor cooler has a selectable two level battery monitor, shut off at 10.2V or 11.2V. If used in a liion pack setup I would have to use the lower voltage option.

Are you sure about 10.9V @ fully charged?

Last edited:

Umbrarian

Observer
Someone has asked this very question on the GZ Q&A page:

That means Yeti 400 Li use a 3S liIon setup, and a voltage of about 12.6V fully charged as mentioned above, and around 10V or so when discharged. My Waeco compressor cooler has a selectable two level battery monitor, shut off at 10.2V or 11.2V. If used in a liion pack setup I would have to use the lower voltage option.

Are you sure about 10.9V @ fully charged?

Wow thanks! I did do a search but did not see that.

I will have to fully charge it again and check voltage. I will have to turn the battery monitor to low (10.1VDC) on the ARB and see how it goes. If all else fails I can run it on AC.

molanginaeda

Observer
There is a bug on the firmware. Some GZ users mention upgrading new firmware resolved the issue. It's not user upgradable, so you will need to call GZ for a updated firmware GZ replacement.

Umbrarian

Observer
I talked to GZ today.

A fully charged Yeti 400 Lithium should show 12.4 volts or better. A fully discharged one is around 9.2.

The solution for the ARB fridge is either run it off AC, or if you want to run on DC, to run down the battery monitor system to the LO setting.

Thanks for the responses.

bjornb

Last edited:

Gabex35

Adventurer
I have the Yeti 1000 Lithium and at 100% SOC I am getting 12.3volts at 12v socket. My arb fridge will run on HI Lvco. I haven’t tested this on a trip but it worked in my driveway.

hayhonker

Breathing some life into an old thread because I spoke to GZ last week and was told that they are releasing a 12V booster of some sort early next year to address the problem of not being able to power a fridge with the Li Yetis. I have Li 1400 and it will not run my older ARB 50 or a new ARB Elements fridge via the 12V port. This is even with the fridge set to Lo and using any of the adapters that were thought to work.

emulous74

damn, I just ordered an ARB elements fridge and Yeti 1000 Li with the intentions of running the fridge on it...definitely need to follow up on this 12v booster

hayhonker

I don't have any more info. I just hope that their solution does not rely upon the expansion port since I already filled that with the MPPT module

Umbrarian

Observer
damn, I just ordered an ARB elements fridge and Yeti 1000 Li with the intentions of running the fridge on it...definitely need to follow up on this 12v booster

As I reported, just set the voltage on the Fridge to LO, and it will run *FOREVER*. I get over 30 hrs on my Lithium 400 now.

superg

The Goal Zero units are nicely designed but the lithium chemistry used does put it in the low DC voltage category. 3S (Cell Chemistry: Li-ion NMC Peak Capacity: 1045Wh (10.8V, 96.8Ah)).

I run my own setup using LFP (LiFePo4). Energy is not as dense as the NMC but it is much safer, can handle many more discharge cycles vs NMC, and in a 4S configuration, fully charged voltage is 13V+ which is very similar to standard car batteries.
One can get a 80AH LiFePo4 (comparable to the GZ 1000) and run it directly or add a nice pure sine inverter for AC load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles