Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium - in-car charging

DezM

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but figure better than starting a new one!

Would this be a suitable work around for the Yeti 400 Lithium not being able to charge from a 12v source?

Starter battery->Solenoid->AC Inverter->Yeti 400

I would imagine it wouldn't be as efficient as running a 12v line straight into the battery, but would it be sufficient to fully charge the Yeti?

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but figure better than starting a new one!

Would this be a suitable work around for the Yeti 400 Lithium not being able to charge from a 12v source?

Starter battery->Solenoid->AC Inverter->Yeti 400

I would imagine it wouldn't be as efficient as running a 12v line straight into the battery, but would it be sufficient to fully charge the Yeti?
That should be all you need

I'd bet getting a voltage booster would make a 12v outlet work, but not sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DezM

Just emailed them and they confirmed that an inverter would work fine. They also mentioned they’re coming out with a car charger next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I've heard the same thing. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've been doing the inverter thing too, and it works well enough, I suppose, but having a dedicated vehicle charging solution compared to the sketch inverter I've been using would be nice!

Gabex35

Adventurer
Just emailed them and they confirmed that an inverter would work fine. They also mentioned they’re coming out with a car charger next month!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they've been saying that for well over a year. Hopefully its true this time.

CSG

Explorer
I remember they told me that too, Gabe. I was surprised to check on their site and find they still didn't offer the charger for it after a year of saying it was coming in the spring of 2018.

earthmuffin

Observer
Very curious to hear some real world experience on this. I already saw one pretty favorable review on YouTube that was showing faster charge rates than from a household outlet.
Reliable 12V charging is the only thing standing between me and a lithium 1400.

spikemd

Explorer
GZ just came out with a new charge controller allowing much higher amp charging directly from the alternator not using the pesky cigarette adapter. It is much more expensive though. Im looking to upgrade my AGM yetis to a lithium.

St8ton

I'm using the 12v Lithium Charging Cable and it has been quite good. On the 5A setting you'll see about 60-65watts inbound to the Yeti and with the 10A switched over you see double (as expected), roughly 120-125 watts powering the Yeti Lithium via the vehicles charging system. This has been really awesome to have while driving most of the day, the Yeti stays full and my use of solar has significantly dwindled.

I'm currently waiting on the new 12V Lithium Regulated Cable to arrive. It's supposed to regulate the voltage to a more consistent rate.

St8ton

Is this to imply reduction of solar a good thing ?
Operating cost of alternator is $3.50 gallon. Solar is zero.

This is to imply that I don't run solar while driving the vehicle (I use the Charging Cable) from place to place, sometime for hours at a time. My refrigerator and other items I'm running/charging are always drawing power off the Yeti. The alternator is running anyway, might as well charge the Yeti too.
Solar is used when the vehicle is off, I am base-camped and needing to refill the Yeti to keep everything going.
I like solar, I just don't rely on it solely to charge the Yeti.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles