Goal Zero Yeti 400 Experiences?

mellorrob

Looks like the yeti lithium 400 is $700, the 1000 is $1000 but only available through Costco and the 1400 is $2000. I haven't seen the 1000 in my local costco, which is ironic since it's 15 miles from their headquarters and they would not sell me a 1000 at the factory store. One thing to note, the lithium 400 isn't chainable like the old AGM 400 so that might be a factor for those wanting to run two to keep the fridge running longer. The 1000 and 1400 will be chainable "in the future" according to the video posted on their book of faces.

mellorrob

They're not even showing the 1000 on their site. The rep I spoke with said it would be out this spring get weird

I've called twice and did the online chat thing and they all said costco only for the 1000. I even tried to drive down to the factory store to buy one since I couldn't find one in a salt lake costco and they said no dice.

mellorrob

In a ideal case, how long could you run a ARB fridge with the old Yeti 400?

Ideal conditions, like cool ambient temps with minimal opening etc, 24 hours. The 400 does great if you're moving everyday and can charge off the vehicle while driving. If I was going to be stopped more than a day I'd get a solar panel to throw out.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've got a Yeti 1400 here that I'm putting in my personal van to test out. I'm about to order a 400Lithium for a clients custom Eurovan build.

With the old Yeti 400 I could hide them under the rear seat/bed. With the new one I'm hoping to fit them under the front seat pedestals instead. This should be more functional in a tight space than the larger 400AGM.

mellorrob

I've got a Yeti 1400 here that I'm putting in my personal van to test out. I'm about to order a 400Lithium for a clients custom Eurovan build.

With the old Yeti 400 I could hide them under the rear seat/bed. With the new one I'm hoping to fit them under the front seat pedestals instead. This should be more functional in a tight space than the larger 400AGM.

I'm sure that you're probably aware but I wasn't until I watched the GZ Q&A video about charging these lithium yeti's from a vehicle. They said to only charge them with a keyed 12V source or it will drain the vehicles starting battery when the vehicle is off. I charge my AGM yeti on a 12ga wire (fused of course) direct from the battery to the rear of the vehicle then anderson power poles to GZ 8mm. This was convenient since the power poles were always hot but the yeti would stop charging when the vehicle was off and the volts dropped below 13.5V. I'm hoping GZ will come out with some sort of vehicle smart charging cable for the lithium's that will automatically disconnect the yeti when the source volts drop below 13.5V or what ever thresh hold they set.

We take the ARB50 and Yeti 400 in my wife's Acadia on vacation and the rear outlet is always hot. It will be a PITA to have to remember to unplug the Yeti lithium every time we stop.

Last edited:

Kalisaya Power

Supporting Sponsor
I'm sure that you're probably aware but I wasn't until I watched the GZ Q&A video about charging these lithium yeti's from a vehicle. They said to only charge them with a keyed 12V source or it will drain the vehicles starting battery when the vehicle is off. I charge my AGM yeti on a 12ga wire (fused of course) direct from the battery to the rear of the vehicle then anderson power poles to GZ 8mm. This was convenient since the power poles were always hot but the yeti would stop charging when the vehicle was off and the volts dropped below 13.5V. I'm hoping GZ will come out with some sort of vehicle smart charging cable for the lithium's that will automatically disconnect the yeti when the source volts drop below 13.5V or what ever thresh hold they set.

We take the ARB50 and Yeti 400 in my wife's Acadia on vacation and the rear outlet is always hot. It will be a PITA to have to remember to unplug the Yeti lithium every time we stop.

Guys,

Check out the KaliPAK 601. Its got 558Wh, with a 40-Watt Solar Panel included. Its 3 less lb than the Yeti400 lithium and got about 150 more Wh.

Kalisayapower.com is the site.

Also, had a storage section and free APP that monitors consumption and storage of energy in real time- which is pretty cool when I am really need to know how much time i get out of the lights during a power outage.

I dont think it can charge a household fridge or AC unit, but deff a portable freezer, like the ARB or Dometic brands. Let me know if your interested, I can probably get you like 10% off.

Let me know
Bob

Vamos

#shameless @kalisayapower

Just so you know... As someone researching a solar powerbank option... Your relentless spamming of the forum with shameless plugs makes me 100% sure I will not go with your option.

Build your product/brand/service to such a high standard that your customers rave about you... And you may attract more business.

But seeing your posts on every search here on these topics is just sad.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
What is the best way to run a 12v fuse panel off these goal zero units. I am looking for a semi temporary setup in our sprinter to power a roof fan and a fridge until I build a permanent system and wondering how the Goal zeros can be hard wired to a fuse panel like a blue sea/west marine/etc...

bigskypylot

Explorer
#shameless @kalisayapower

Just so you know... As someone researching a solar powerbank option... Your relentless spamming of the forum with shameless plugs makes me 100% sure I will not go with your option.

Build your product/brand/service to such a high standard that your customers rave about you... And you may attract more business.

But seeing your posts on every search here on these topics is just sad.

Agreed

snowblind

Adventurer
What is the best way to run a 12v fuse panel off these goal zero units. I am looking for a semi temporary setup in our sprinter to power a roof fan and a fridge until I build a permanent system and wondering how the Goal zeros can be hard wired to a fuse panel like a blue sea/west marine/etc...

Hey Flagster.

The Yeti's 12v power outputs are all some sort of socket so you'll need to splice one of these sockets onto the end of the power supply cable for your fuse box. My advice is to buy this -> http://www.goalzero.com/p/241/6mm-Male-to-Ring-Terminal-Adapter and splice it into the supply wire for the fuse box. Maybe buy a second and power the fridge with that. You could also use a cigarette socket if you are OK with that.

I spliced the GZ connector onto a male weatherpack connector and then I spliced the fridge power cord onto a female weatherpack. This allows me to switch the fridge to vehicle 12v power much more easily.

attachment.php

Matt

mmp3823

Observer

I used the alligator clip cable form goal zero and wired it into my trailer. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/164939-Our-camping-bug-out-trailer. I think it is only 10amps but I am just running some lights and a water pump and they don't draw much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles