Goal Zero Yeti 400 Experiences?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've been eyeballing a 400 for a while now. For those that have purchased one or have been shopping for one recently, where are you typically finding the best prices for these?

I was going to wait for the next time REI offers a 20% coupon but those are typically only once or twice a year.

Maybe a group buy could be arranged? If people are interested let me know and I'd be happy to try and orchestrate one.

I don't know if there is one place - the deals seem to pop up randomly. Costco, amazon, other internet resellers. Add some of the stuff you like to a wish list on amazon and get an alert to price drops, etc - I've done that successfully with power tools. Once you start watching items it is pretty amazing how much fluctuation there can be.

Goal Zero also had a good presence at overland expo last spring - I'm not sure what the deals were that they were offering, but they did give me a free cable for my solar panel to replace one that had gone missing which was really good of them - and a good example of how well they take care of customers.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
I don't know if there is one place - the deals seem to pop up randomly. Costco, amazon, other internet resellers. Add some of the stuff you like to a wish list on amazon and get an alert to price drops, etc - I've done that successfully with power tools. Once you start watching items it is pretty amazing how much fluctuation there can be.

Goal Zero also had a good presence at overland expo last spring - I'm not sure what the deals were that they were offering, but they did give me a free cable for my solar panel to replace one that had gone missing which was really good of them - and a good example of how well they take care of customers.

Good suggestion, thank you. I'll have to try some of those price watch browser add-ons.

I can get you a pretty good deal on them:sombrero:
PM sent :coffeedrink:

spikemd

Explorer
These use a 33Ah AGM.....those are like $45....why in the world is this $400?

LOL!! Clearly he has no concept of the development put into the sine wave inverter, multiple outputs, USB, 12v, charge controller, battery protection, plug n play solar connections and relatively small portable box. Yeah... so easy to duplicate.

Of course you are going to pay a premium, but I don't want to get a degree in electrical engineering to try and build something myself. I also prefer the portability of the system to a second battery set-up since I have two trucks for adventuring.

I picked up a new Yeti 400 at the Costco roadshow for $350. Am working on integrating it into the rover with semi-permanent connections. Glad to hear I can just keep it wired and then add my solar panels when camping. Will be chaining to the Extreme350 to double capacity. Remember, don't draw directly from the Anderson ports as there is no battery protection. Also, I will need to use the 8mm input to properly read the input power, which is a great feature. Wish it could all be done thru the Anderson ports.

Doc Foster

Adventurer
I've been eyeballing a 400 for a while now. For those that have purchased one or have been shopping for one recently, where are you typically finding the best prices for these?

I was going to wait for the next time REI offers a 20% coupon but those are typically only once or twice a year.

Maybe a group buy could be arranged? If people are interested let me know and I'd be happy to try and orchestrate one.

I got mine at Costco
http://www.costco.com/goal-zero-schedule.html
They usually sell out of the 400's pretty quick, but have a lot of the smaller stuff and good deals on their solar panels and accessories.

JBriggs

Hello,
Brand new to portable power and looking for some quick help with a power solution question.

Specifically I am interested in the Yeti 400 for all the reason others are - in summary it's a slick package.! However, I want to expand past the 33ah internal battery. While I know I can chain multiple Yetis together I am looking for a cheaper solution, even if it voids the warranty.

In previous threads I read Matts statement that you can chain another battery to increase the ah rating. I understand how this would work in theory by adding another 12vdc battery in parallel.

Before buying a Yeti and breaking into it I am looking to answer a few questions:
-What type of battery should be used? (Match Yetis type?)
-what is the max ah battery can be connected and they system still works properly?
-Any suggestion of a specific battery to connect to the Yeti? (Looking to push past 100 ah if possible)

Thank you for your time!

aam1023

I bought by Yeti 400 online yesterday from Bed Bath and Beyond, of all places. I used a "20% off one item" coupon code (thankfully the Yeti was not on the long list of excluded items) and got it for $367.99 ($386.85 with tax) and free shipping.

spikemd

Explorer
Hello,
Brand new to portable power and looking for some quick help with a power solution question.

Specifically I am interested in the Yeti 400 for all the reason others are - in summary it's a slick package.! However, I want to expand past the 33ah internal battery. While I know I can chain multiple Yetis together I am looking for a cheaper solution, even if it voids the warranty.

In previous threads I read Matts statement that you can chain another battery to increase the ah rating. I understand how this would work in theory by adding another 12vdc battery in parallel.

Before buying a Yeti and breaking into it I am looking to answer a few questions:
-What type of battery should be used? (Match Yetis type?)
-what is the max ah battery can be connected and they system still works properly?
-Any suggestion of a specific battery to connect to the Yeti? (Looking to push past 100 ah if possible)

Thank you for your time!

I was contemplating this myself when I upgraded to a Yeti400 along with my Extreme350 because I wanted the digital readout with input and output wattage on the Yeti and I wasn't going to recoup the cost of the new battery I installed in the 350. But you can add another battery to double capacity for just the cost of a battery and some wire. So, you can have around 70amp hours of capacity with the addition of another 33 to 35 amp hour group U battery you can find on Amazon from $60 to $100. Add some 10 gauge wire with anderson connectors and connect/chain it to your Yeti for the same capacity as an Optima yellow Top group 27 (66 amp hrs) with the convenience of an inverter, USB, charge controller, auto battery separation and solar plug-n-play. The key here is to only connect similar size batteries and similar condition batteries, so only 33-35 amp hours group U with the Yeti and your new battery in good condition. GZ says you can chain up to 4 Extreme350 or Yeti400s together but again, they need to be similar capacity for adequate charging. That said, if you chain 4 33amp hr batteries together, it is going to take a lot of solar or a long time to charge them up but you will have a lot of capacity.

I bought this as my replacement 35am hr battery (http://www.amazon.com/VMAX857-Battery-Performance-minnkota-trolling/dp/B008974VFG/) but it was about $20 cheaper when I bought it. It was a direct replacement for the Extreme350 or Yeti400. There are other 35 amp hr sealed lead acid batteries for around $70 that will probably work fine, but they aren't AGM.

I am working on a solution to secure the Extreme350 in the spare tire location with anderson connectors to the Yeti above next to my ARB fridge which will be wired into my Blue Sea fusebox in the rear of my range rover. I then will have my modified ARB plug into the 8mm output into the ARB. Previously, I was using anderson connectors from the 350 to the ARB and killed my GZ battery prematurely because the Anderson plugs bypass the battery protection. Do not use the anderson plugs to run devices from.

I bought my new Yeti400 from the Costco roadshow for $350, an excellent price. Search for goalzero roadshow to find the schedule at a Costco near you.

Is this by any chance, the JBriggs from DefenderSource? If so, please PM me.

horukuru

Greetings from Sabah, Borneo.

I have a questions. Would it be possible to charge the Yeti 400 overnight in the car using the cigarette port?

I have the Sherpa 50 and planning for this Yeti soon but no solar panels yet.

Any advice or comments?

rob mellor

Observer
Charging it off of your car battery through the cig plug while the vehicle is off won't work. I have 10ga wire right from the battery that I can use to charge my yeti 400. It will charge for a little while once the car is off until the surface charge of the car battery wears off. The yeti will only charge when the voltage is over 14V ish input so even if the cig plug is hot with the vehicle off the car battery won't have enough voltage to charge the yeti. It will sense that there's power there and the blue charge led will be lit but on the input side of the display it will simply state LOW until the vehicle is started and there's enough voltage to charge. Charging with the vehicle running and the cig to 8mm adaptor works good and is pretty fast though.

DanKunz

Adventurer
So I have one! I am going to charge my yeti with 100w solar adhered to my roof, then run a line to a permanent hard mount intelligent trickle charger in the engine bay..then run my fridge! In theory, truck stays topped up, fridge runs, and yeti recharges. Thoughts?

adam88

Explorer
Is goal zero making these with lithum ion batteries yet or still making them 2x heavier than they need to be

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne