Goal Zero Yeti 400 Experiences?

luk4mud

Explorer
So let me make sure I understand. Goal Zero 400 would cost $450- ish, and it is "compatible" with a solar charger panel from ... Goal Zero. I reasonably portable panel with at least some capacity would be the Escape 30, for another $240. So one would now be into this for close to $700. For a system that has a 33 amp battery and takes (per GZ's webiste) what looks like 40 hours to fully charge? To summarize- not convenient, expensive and low capacity all around. But it does LOOK cool.

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
This thing is really expensive but it does have a lot packed into that little box. I think you could build a far better system with all the same features for about the same amount of money. It wouldn't look as nice in the end though nor would it be as compact/portable.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
The Yeti 400 has a build in Pure sin wave inverter at 300W continuous, 600W surge max. Pure sin wave are better for delicate electronic and I dont want to fry anything with a modified inverter or something cheap from China. If I look at amazon they cost about 150 dollars, probably cheap ones http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+300w&rh=i:aps,k:pure+sine+wave+inverter+300w

Very easy to charge the battery via 12v port when I am driving

A wanted it to be compact and portable.

Here I have moved the Yeti 400 to the tent for the Goal Zero LED lights.

156605196.jpg

Jedi Yota

Have you seen these?
enerplex1.jpg

enerplex2.jpg

Theres nothing in the 400 wHr department but they are definitely giving the Goal Zero Yeti's a run for their money. They Y1200 is only 40 lbs compared to Goal Zero's which is over 100! They have some other interesting products on their website.http://www.goenerplex.com

Last edited:

snowblind

Adventurer
Long-Term Update on thge Yeti 400

Hey Gang.

Checking in one year later to add to the discussion.

I have used the Yeti 400 for camping and around the house for a variety of chores.
  1. When camping it delivers 12-36 hours of power to a 12v "Edgestar" fridge.
  2. Re-charging the Yeti when below 60% can draw upwards of 70 watts via 12v charger.
  3. Re-charging with the wall charger never saw a draw above 60 watts.
  4. Once re-charged to above 60% charging rate drops to 20-30 watts or less.
  5. 12v plugs are stoopid for this application. It sucks to drive and charge the battery for 3 hours only to discover the plug came loose 2 minutes in!
  6. Works great powering corded sawsalls, hedge trimmers, drills, etc around the yard and no need for 100' extension cords.
  7. Great to bring inside the tent for light and device recharging.
  8. Perfect for when my daughter has a outside sleepover and her teen friends all want to charge their phones at the same time.
  9. A "real" potable power pack. Light enough to carry/move short distances and packed with most everything you need.
  10. If you want more reserve power you can connect an external 12v battery

There may be "better" 12v battery power sources out there but the Yeti is still a very attractive purchase. The multitude of connections, ease of use and portability are perhaps it's biggest selling points. I have run it down to empty 4 or 5 times in the time I have been using it and I have seen no degradation in battery life.

Matt

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden.

I bought mine from the Netherlands.

I tried to charge mine with the wall charger and did not work the second time I have done it. It worked the first time I got it. I thought the wall charger was broken and contacted my supplier, and they mean that it is the socket on the 400yeti that is bad.

Now I have to send it back and it will cost a fortune in postage.
The answer

"Thanks for your e-mail.

We just recently got notice that we received a batch of Yetis with a defect 220V wall charger socket. At that time we shipped your order we weren't aware of this.

You can return the Yeti 400."

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi from Sweden.

I bought mine from the Netherlands.

I tried to charge mine with the wall charger and did not work the second time I have done it. It worked the first time I got it. I thought the wall charger was broken and contacted my supplier, and they mean that it is the socket on the 400yeti that is bad.

Now I have to send it back and it will cost a fortune in postage.
The answer

"Thanks for your e-mail.

We just recently got notice that we received a batch of Yetis with a defect 220V wall charger socket. At that time we shipped your order we weren't aware of this.

You can return the Yeti 400."

Just went to my local post office in Sweden and I payed 123 dollars to send it back to the Netherlands

spikemd

Explorer
So let me make sure I understand. Goal Zero 400 would cost $450- ish, and it is "compatible" with a solar charger panel from ... Goal Zero. I reasonably portable panel with at least some capacity would be the Escape 30, for another $240. So one would now be into this for close to $700. For a system that has a 33 amp battery and takes (per GZ's webiste) what looks like 40 hours to fully charge? To summarize- not convenient, expensive and low capacity all around. But it does LOOK cool.

Goal Zero is not the cheapest option out there, but I will pay for plug and play convenience. Any foldup solar panel is expensive, the powerfilm 60 watt panel is $600, just for the panel. I have the Extreme350 (same battery) and a number of solar panels that I have been using. With at least 60 watts of solar and full sun, I can remain stationary indefinitely powering my fridge and recharging the Extreme350. Yes, it is expensive, but cheaper than a dual battery system, much smaller, more convenient and I don't need to be tied to one vehicle. Well worth it for me and keeping my beverages frosty. We all have priorities...

If you shop around, you can find GZ panels much cheaper.

Not the best set-up, but you get the idea and you can see the small Extreme350 tucked in next to the fridge.

2014_dv35.jpg

2014_dv36.jpg

cactusjk

Explorer
Can you go into some detail on how you use/charge the 350 with your setup? I just got a 350 and have an ARB refrig.

Goal Zero is not the cheapest option out there, but I will pay for plug and play convenience. Any foldup solar panel is expensive, the powerfilm 60 watt panel is $600, just for the panel. I have the Extreme350 (same battery) and a number of solar panels that I have been using. With at least 60 watts of solar and full sun, I can remain stationary indefinitely powering my fridge and recharging the Extreme350. Yes, it is expensive, but cheaper than a dual battery system, much smaller, more convenient and I don't need to be tied to one vehicle. Well worth it for me and keeping my beverages frosty. We all have priorities...

If you shop around, you can find GZ panels much cheaper.

Not the best set-up, but you get the idea and you can see the small Extreme350 tucked in next to the fridge.

2014_dv35.jpg

2014_dv36.jpg

snowblind

Adventurer
Can you go into some detail on how you use/charge the 350 with your setup? I just got a 350 and have an ARB refrig.

I am not the owner of that set up but I can answer.

In the last photo bottom center of the frame there is a socket hanging off the tailgate. That socket is an 8mm Input 4x Combiner that allows up to four Nomad or Boulder panels to connect at once.

I'm guessing those adapters could be daisy chained to allow 8, 12, 16 simultaneous connections or more and I'm also thinking the Solar panels can be daisy chained. In the end you will probably run into max wattage before you run out of connections. The Yeti is limited to 120watts max input.

FYI - I made my own 12v adapter by cutting up an existing 8mm Goal Zero extension cord and splicing on the 12v plug. They chose to make the ground a spiral wrap around a sheathed positive wire instead of 2 x sheathed wires so it's a little awkward to splice but the unit functions normally.

fetus

Observer
I just bought a Yeti 400 for $349 and a Boulder 30 Panel for 135 from my local Costco. Thinking of getting another panel.

Taking it on a week long trip next week. Will advise how it worked out.

Prices are typically better than retail, though the vendor at the store didn't have the full selection of product.

http://www.costco.com/goal-zero-schedule.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles