Go4Lo's '02 Tundra build

Go4Lo

Explorer
Big changes on the horizon for my Tundra.....

As most of you other Tundra owners know there is hardly any aftermarket support for 1st Gen Tundra's so I decided to let a local fab shop build the armor for my truck. I dropped the Tundra off today with the fabricator for a custom front winch bumper, rear bumper, and rock sliders.....needless to say I'm just a little bit excited :wings:

Sorry no pics just yet, but he should be finished in about a week so stay tuned :smiley_drive:

On a side note I've decided to sell my Topper/Camper shell if anyone's interested: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55847

ol' scott

Adventurer
I hope what you get fabricated looks good, it would be nice to have another viable option out there for our trucks.

Any time frame on how long it will take to get things moving and developed? Also any hints or ideas on what the future bumpers will look like?

thecriscokid

Explorer
Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. I have a rusty front bumper and 2 huge dents in the rear from the PO and just waiting to do the same. Yeh, stuff just gets in the way though, new mtb frame this time...

Go4Lo

Explorer
I hope what you get fabricated looks good, it would be nice to have another viable option out there for our trucks.

Any time frame on how long it will take to get things moving and developed? Also any hints or ideas on what the future bumpers will look like?

His plan is to focus on my truck this week and have it ready to go by next weekend.

The front bumper will be modeled after a Shrockworks bumper for 3rd/4th Gen 4-Runner, similar to this - http://www.shrockworks.com/Toyota-4Runner-Winch-Bumper-Bull-Bar-Front-pr-16148.html

The sliders will be a standard double tube set up with 2x2 square base with an 1.75" round DOM tubing for the outer tube that's sitting on a slight upward angle. Like this: http://www.shrockworks.com/Toyota-T...cker-Protection-Nerf-Bars-2005+-pr-16188.html

The rear bumper is being modeled after a Demello hybrid rear for a Tacoma, with wrap around 1.75" tubing lower corner guards. Like this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipment/equipment_reviews/demello_rear_bumper/demello_bumper.php

I do plan to eventually add a tire carrier to rear bumper as well as $$$ allows. :snorkel:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Sounds nice. It might be worth mentioning to your fab guy to make templates for duplicates. I feel like all the custom Tundra work is just that, custom, ie Truck needed. He could probably sell a few more no problem if he could pump them out, box them up, and send them on there way

Go4Lo

Explorer
Sounds nice. It might be worth mentioning to your fab guy to make templates for duplicates. I feel like all the custom Tundra work is just that, custom, ie Truck needed. He could probably sell a few more no problem if he could pump them out, box them up, and send them on there way

I'll be sure to mention it to him. His primary focus in on custom, one off projects so I'm not sure how much interest he would have in marketing a line of bumpers and sliders for our trucks. I agree with you though that he could potentially sell quite a few.

Go4Lo

Explorer
I stopped by the fab shop this afternoon to see how the bumpers and sliders were coming along. The sliders are finished, rear bumper is 95% finished, and he was starting on the front. Not bad for 3 days worth of work.

Rear (I can't take credit for the hitch design, the idea came from Box Rocket's truck - THANKS!). Materials used include 2x6 tubing center, ends tapered and caped, wrap around corner guards out of 1.75" .120 wall tubing, and 1/4" mounting brackets that utilize 3 bumper bolts on frame side and 3 hitch mount bolts running down the frame for a total of 6 on each side.

The Tundra rear lower quarter panels extend down behind the rear tire further than the Tacoma's do leaving unprotected sheet metal below as pictured. The plan is to trim the lower quarter panels below the bottom tube so everything is nice and flush.

I ordered a tire carrier builder's kit from AtoZ Fabrications today so a tire carrier will hopefully come over the next few weeks.

P1030916.jpg

P1030914.jpg

Rock sliders are built from 2x2 square base with 1.75" .120 tubing. Sliders are welded to the frame with 3 outriggers.

P1030917.jpg

And finally the beginnings of the front bumper. I did pick up a XRC8 Comp winch to go in the bumper as well :wings:

P1030918.jpg

More updates to come.....

Last edited:

Go4Lo

Explorer
are you going to trim off the quarter panel that hangs below the bumper?

See above, thanks.
The Tundra rear lower quarter panels extend down behind the rear tire further than the Tacoma's do leaving unprotected sheet metal below as pictured. The plan is to trim the lower quarter panels below the bottom tube so everything is nice and flush.

stolenheron

Explorer
I do apologize, I clearly cannot read!

the bumper/truck/build looks great. I'm interested to see how the front end turns out. my brother in law had a tundra (same color and trim package) back in the day.

Go4Lo

Explorer
I do apologize, I clearly cannot read!

the bumper/truck/build looks great. I'm interested to see how the front end turns out. my brother in law had a tundra (same color and trim package) back in the day.

No worries...thanks for checking out my build thread.

dyogim

Explorer
Nice!!! For the wrap-arounds, may I suggest extending them to the flares. So, cutting all the sheet metal and flares and have the edge of the wrap-around flush with the wheel well.

If you cut the metal below the wrap arounds as it is in the pic, that's going to leave that small portion unprotected. There have been several times, I've come down on a rock and I could see a boulder lodging itself in between and causing body damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles