Go4Lo's '02 Tundra build

Go4Lo

Explorer
I recently sold my built Jeep Comanche in favor of a milder built rig that would provide more room for our growning family (wife is 14 weeks pregnant with our first child :wings:).

After much debating and searching for the perfect rig to fit our needs I was fortunate to be able to purchase a 2002 Tundra from a fellow board member last weekend.

My goals for the truck are in line with most builds on this board. Nothing too extreme, just a rig that can comfortably and safely transport me to and from work on a daily basis and then head out of the city on the weekends to camp, explore mild trails, and enjoy nature.

I can't say enough about how well the previous owners took care of this vehicle. The truck came with a stack of service records and I was able to confirm with a Toyota dealership in the Atlanta that the timing belt was changed at 90K.

Below is listing of the current specs of the truck as well as my Build Plan. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think! :smiley_drive:

Specs:
2002 Toyota Tundra 4wd,
SR5,TRD, LSD Rear
4.7L V8 with 117,xxx
Thunder Gray Metallic, Tan Cloth Interior

Build Plan:
Bilstein 5100 Adj Front Shocks set at 2.5" Lift - DONE
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks - DONE
1" Rear Lift Blocks (may replace with AALs later?) - DONE
285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers
16x8 Pro Comp 8069 Alloys - DONE
Silverstar Headlight & Fog Light Bulbs - DONE
Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler - DONE
K&N Drop in Air Filter - DONE
Fiberglass Topper - DONE
LineX Bedliner - DONE
Rack for the Topper (not sure what style yet)
Demello Rock Sliders
100 Series Land Cruiser Safari Snorkel
100 Series Land Cruiser ARB Bumper
Winch (not sure what brand yet)
Custom rear wrap around bumper
Garmin Navigation Unit
Custom Sleeping Platform in Bed

More to come.....:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Go4Lo

Explorer
One of the first mods I wanted to do was add a topper to the bed, however as most of you know these aren't cheap. In a run of luck I found a local Craigslist add for '02 Tundra forsale with a topper. After exchanging several emails with the owner I ended up with it on my truck for $300 :wings: Needless to say I was super excited!! :Wow1:

My parents own some inherited farm land in the foothills of NW North Carolina that we use for camping and exploring. We took the nice weather today as opportunity take the truck out on the land and do a bit off pavement driving as well as some target shooting. There wasn't much real off roading involved but it was nice to get out in the woods and shoot some cool guns after working in a office building all week long.

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

A few choice firearms...
DSC00226.jpg

ol' scott

Adventurer
Great truck!

I bought my cap on craigslist too.... for $300 also. I really like the Yakima system up there with the Basketcase basket. Nice and small but enough for lights and some bags (keeps you from being tempted to overload it).

155367_1580222237783_1602503063_31400605_4384684_n.jpg

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Look's good!

Though those guns remind me off the thing that bugs me the most about my Tundra....not being able to slide the truck gun under the rear seat. Those Toyota engineers need to fully understand the requirements of their ridgerunnin' customers when next they design their rear seats. :elkgrin:

Go4Lo

Explorer
is that a 45/70? is it ported?nice truck enjoy!

Yes it's a 45/70 and it's a blast to shoot! It's my brother's gun so I'm not sure if it's ported or not.

Nice truck - looks like a good build plan too.

Thanks

Nice lookin wheels!

66546_646003272813_71201345_37105717_6150755_n.jpg

Thanks...you've got a nice looking Tundra as well.

Great truck!

I bought my cap on craigslist too.... for $300 also. I really like the Yakima system up there with the Basketcase basket. Nice and small but enough for lights and some bags (keeps you from being tempted to overload it).

155367_1580222237783_1602503063_31400605_4384684_n.jpg

Gotta love Craiglist! Thanks for the input on the rack. I'm still debating on just a load bar set up like Yakima or a true cargo basket like a Defender Rack.

dyogim

Explorer
Look forward to the build. I'm up in the air still with either a fiberglass topper or building a custom canvas topper. Here's a shot I posted in the photography thread on three 1 gen tundras set-up three different ways.... :smiley_drive:

Barney%20Riley%20cropped.jpg

Go4Lo

Explorer
Look forward to the build. I'm up in the air still with either a fiberglass topper or building a custom canvas topper. Here's a shot I posted in the photography thread on three 1 gen tundras set-up three different ways.... :smiley_drive:

That is an awesome picture! Thanks for sharing. I was dead set on getting a Softopper for my truck but when I ran across the deal on this one for less than half the price of a Softopper I couldn't resist. I figure if I end up not liking it I can a least sell it for what I have in it.

dyogim

Explorer
That is an awesome picture! Thanks for sharing. I was dead set on getting a Softopper for my truck but when I ran across the deal on this one for less than half the price of a Softopper I couldn't resist. I figure if I end up not liking it I can a least sell it for what I have in it.

If I came across a deal like that, I'd be all over it as well. My plans for a canvas topper is similar to how the humvees are. Where hallf of the topper is level with the cab and then it angles downward towards the tailgate. The back half will be on hinges, so when we are camped, I can have it up level with the cab or higher, completely adjustable.

I'm going to check out craigslist now....LOL!!!

I think the hardest part would be sewing the canvas topper and making time between kids, work, house projects, vehicle projects,...etc.

dubk_trd

Observer
hey nice tundra i remember that tundra on TS site he was from atlanta

heres mines with a prerunner look and custom fab snorkel

33927_455838028441_810883441_5288192_4149791_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles