Go with all soft shackles?

deeve

Observer
I currently have a wire rope on my winch in great shape. I have not used my winch on either of the Jeeps I have owned that have winches so maybe keeping wire rope is best, but at some point, I probably will replace it with synthetic. I have a mix of soft and "hard' shackles along with a snatch block. In trying to consolidate, lower the weight and increase safety I am considering getting a few more soft shackles and leaving the metal ones at home. I know a wire rope can still break, but I was thinking the less high-speed chunks of metal flying around the better.

Just curious if there is a good reason to keep the steel ones around.

Thanks!
DAVE

hemifoot

Observer
high speed metal from a shackle? i think you would be the first in recorded history to do that,unless you tried to do something really foolish.have you ever seen the size of the bolts holding your winch onto the truck? that's your weak link, then the loop holding the hook to the cable,not a shackle.

deeve

Observer
Thanks, I have never seen a winch cable break ever, but I have very little experience with these. Thank you!

Low_Sky

Keep at least two metal shackles around. As mentioned, most recovery points are designed for metal and have sharp corners or edges. I also like to use metal shackles for snatch recoveries, as soft shackles can move around quite a bit under load while the strap/rope comes tight and that can generate enough heat in a short enough time to damage them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOguy

Explorer
Metal ones hold up longer but rope are lighter. I am end up doing more recover in muddier wetter situations so I have decided to stick with metal shackles and wire rope. I have a recovery strap that is made out of some sort of nylon poly whatever, I have had a few over the years because they just don't last like metal or a wire rope.

If you use rope (not wire) and can keep it clean and dry it will last longer but keeping up with it is more work than metal shackles and wire rope.

If you can keep up with the soft rope and shackles (and you don't mind replacing it more often) than get it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Metal ones hold up longer but rope are lighter. I am end up doing more recover in muddier wetter situations so I have decided to stick with metal shackles and wire rope. I have a recovery strap that is made out of some sort of nylon poly whatever, I have had a few over the years because they just don't last like metal or a wire rope.

If you use rope (not wire) and can keep it clean and dry it will last longer but keeping up with it is more work than metal shackles and wire rope.

If you can keep up with the soft rope and shackles (and you don't mind replacing it more often) than get it.

Have you ever run synthetic line and soft shackles or are you just repeating internet rumor?

I've had the same synthetic line on the old winch on the flat fender for over 7+ years now. I haven't done anything special to it. It still works as well as day 1.
That line has been all over the country including mud, sand, snow, rocks, etc.
I've used line that was over 15 years old.

Most of the rumors about synthetic based recovery products are greatly exadurated in my experience.

billiebob

I currently have a wire rope on my winch in great shape. I have not used my winch on either of the Jeeps I have owned that have winches so maybe keeping wire rope is best, but at some point, I probably will replace it with synthetic. I have a mix of soft and "hard' shackles along with a snatch block. In trying to consolidate, lower the weight and increase safety I am considering getting a few more soft shackles and leaving the metal ones at home. I know a wire rope can still break, but I was thinking the less high-speed chunks of metal flying around the better.

Just curious if there is a good reason to keep the steel ones around.

Thanks!
DAVE
Steel lasts for generations. Synthetic needs much more care. If you are not using it, keep the steel. If you use it often, synthetic is easier to handle. But if the soft cable, shackles have been in storage for 10 years I would not trust them. Steel I'd trust 100 years from now.

And then there is price !! WOW what a premuim for synthetic.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Can someone post the equivalent to ASME B30.26 and FSC RR-C-271 for soft rigging? I'm curious how they are rated and tested. I assume there must be some specification on types of knots and inspection & proof criteria.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Steel lasts for generations. Synthetic needs much more care. If you are not using it, keep the steel. If you use it often, synthetic is easier to handle. But if the soft cable, shackles have been in storage for 10 years I would not trust them. Steel I'd trust 100 years from now.

And then there is price !! WOW what a premuim for synthetic.

I've ruined a lot more steel winch lines over the years than synthetic winch lines. I have used both a lot.

Again, I get the feeling you haven't used synthetic lines?
Use what makes you feel comfortable, but posting up actual experience would be more helpful.....not just rumor and conjecture.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Can someone post the equivalent to ASME B30.26 and FSC RR-C-271 for soft rigging? I'm curious how they are rated and tested. I assume there must be some specification on types of knots and inspection & proof criteria.

ASME B30.9-2018: Slings
It covers some non-metallic devices used for overhead lifting.

There are things that are on the 'fringe' that are not covered by 'code'. Like most overhead rigging code however, the FOS is crazy conservative generally.
As an example. Most steel 5/16" winch cable is only rated for an MBS of about 9900lbs, yet people generally get obsessed about how a steel shackle isn't 'rated' enough for recovery.

billiebob

I get the feeling you haven't used synthetic lines?
Quite right. I've never touched synthetic.

45 years of off roading, logging, oil field, towing, I've learned there is no downside to steel.... ps, never ruined a steel winch line in my life. But I see how easy synthetic is to handle. Definitely a nice easy product to use. I just see zero reason to pay more for a product which does require fancier storage and more care while using. I've never needed that protective sleeve with steel.

And for op, who says he has never used the winches on either Jeep and he'll likely never need to use it..... that would be the reason to stay with steel. Why pay more for a product which deteriorates in the sun.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Sigh, I know nothing about the specific topic at hand, and I'm proud of it? That's an odd approach...

In the airline industry older planes had lots of wire rope for control surfaces. This stuff had to be replaced with regularity. Why? Well even aircraft grade wire rope will develop micro imperfections in the metal grain structure. There is also hidden corrosion, etc. So even the best inspection can't find it, and sudden unpredictable failure can result.

With synthetics you don't have those issues. Individual strands are smaller, and more tolerant. No corrosion, and a visual inspection is a reliable way to evaluate the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94