Go with all soft shackles?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Off the shelf catalog shackles are not individually proof tested. They will carry a serial number on the pin if they were proof tested by the manufacturer. AFAIK any piece of gear that otherwise meets spec could later be proof tested and uniquely numbered, so the process must still be in control. B30.26 requires a proof test to 2 times but no more than 2.2 times rated working load limit for a bow shackle.

Right.....so how many shackles do you see in vehicle recoveries like this? I have seen none.
Proof testing and testing to MBS are different also. A company COULD test a soft shackle to a proof load, I just don't really see the need generally....
Again.....the shackle can be rated to whatever......and then we hook it to stuff with absolutely zero rating for what we are doing and feel 'good' about it.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
When I look at the condition my recovery straps are in after a few years and what condition my cable is in after about 18 years the decision is easy for me. I guess I am lazy and cheap.

So why don't you just start using cable as a recovery strap, it would last forever!....seems like a simple solution for the lazy.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thats what I do with my big truck. Whatever I will hitch it to just moves when I do. No running start, whatever. It just moves along or tears in half.

So when you get stuck you have to find an even bigger truck? Is that the logic?

MOguy

Explorer
So why don't you just start using cable as a recovery strap, it would last forever!....seems like a simple solution for the lazy.....

I don't maintain my strap, they're cheap, I break it, I toss it and get a new one.

For the same reason you use a rope on your winch. It is light and easy to deal with. The cable on my winch already has a home, it isn't taking up space. The strap does take up space. The strap is much easier to deal with than a cable. I bought the winch with the cable on it before rope was used. If it were getting into off-roading today maybe I would have a rope.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Yep, when it comes my time other things are more important to me then cleaning a rope.

For the same reason you use a rope on your winch. It is light and easy to deal with. The cable on my winch already has a home, it isn't taking up space. The strap does take up space. The strap is much easier to deal with than a cable. I bought the winch with the cable on it before rope was used. If it were getting into off-roading today maybe I would have a rope.

I use synthetic on my winch(s) because it is SAFER, not because it is easier to deal with.

You don't have to worry about cutting your hands or when your last tetanus shot was.
You don't have to worry about it snarling or looping when pulling it off the drum under no tension, or in no-tension situations during recoveries.
The fact that is lighter makes it less dangerous if it where to fail under tension.

MOguy

Explorer
I use synthetic on my winch(s) because it is SAFER, not because it is easier to deal with.

You don't have to worry about cutting your hands or when your last tetanus shot was.
You don't have to worry about it snarling or looping when pulling it off the drum under no tension, or in no-tension situations during recoveries.
The fact that is lighter makes it less dangerous if it where to fail under tension.
No rust, no frays, wear gloves. Tetanus is not a concern. My cable doesn't snarl or loop and it has no rust. I have a fast winch and no-tension situations aren't that big of an issue.

I keep weight on the cable incase of failure. I have shackles but I don't use them attached to the line or even on a hook. I do have a pulley but it doesn't attach the line so I am not concerned about it flying.

I am not discounting the benefits of rope, for me they just don't out weight the longevity issues cable offers.

Last edited:

hemifoot

Observer
To make a damper system work right you need 3 units for just a simple snatch rope/strap operation ( one at each rigging cluster, and one in the middle ) that weigh a significant amount.
When was the last time you saw anyone do that on the trail....
if you knew how to rig safely,you'ld know you only need 1 dampener.and yes verkstaad they work.they're even mandatory in some 4x4 competitions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier