Go with all soft shackles?

MOguy

Explorer
Synthetic rigging products are about safety generally, the light weight is WHY they are safe. You have less stored energy if something where to fail.

All the other bonuses are just cherries on top.
-No worry about handling injuries
-Very few issues with spooling damage
-Easy to repair in the field
-Ease of handling off the drum
-Floats on water
-The light weight means you can carry more options for the same weight....more length, more shackles, etc

Cons-
-It might cost a little more
-You shouldn't use synthetic products if you need to pull over razor blades on fire. ( sharp and heat sensitive )

Weight over the cable will mitigate the stored energy issue.

You do have to pay attention when spoiling wire cable. You should wear gloves to protect your hands.

Friction and heat are more of an issue with rope. Dragging a rope over a rock or other solid item will damage rope more so than cable but you should try to avoid this with both cable and rope.

If your stuck in the water or mud my cable will sink but If you are stuck you are the one going in the mud or water, I am staying high and dry. If I am stuck in the mud water I am getting muddy or wet anyway.

If you vehicle is heavy you might need more stuff. Light rope is deffinently advantageous here. My vehicle is close to 4k, pretty light. I travel light. I don't need much.

It is much easier to pull rope than cable.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You do have to pay attention when spoiling wire cable. You should wear gloves to protect your hands.
A fella should not get lazy, synthetic rope can pick up plenty of junk that gets stuck between or in the fibers in the field so always wear gloves.
Friction and heat are more of an issue with rope. Dragging a rope over a rock or other solid item will damage rope more so than cable but you should try to avoid this with both cable and rope.
Heat is the #1 enemy of synthetic lines. Watch the drum temperatures and make sure to unspool your rope completely periodically to inspect for signs of permanent glazing that indicate damage. The bottom layers of the rope will tend to compress flat but should return to a normal shape and flexibility when you work it. If the rope remains flat and glossy it's been heat damaged.

The low profile winches with drum brakes and series wound motors can very quickly heat the drum enough to ruin synthetic rope. Dyneema should ideally be kept under 70°C or 150°F. FWIW I run a XD9000 and synthetic rope, so I do think the benefits outweigh the downsides. Just be aware of the limitations.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz