Go Fast Campers ripoff

ttengineer

Adventurer
I will defend them, from an academic perspective.

Who says they need to provide customer service? Why is that a requirement? If they have a 12-month waitlist then they can do whatever they want. Market theory would indicate that they can provide even worse customer service AND raise prices until they have a three month waitlist. The rules in free market capitalism are, rather brutally, whatever the market will tolerate.

And by the same token the OP should be burning the place down online everywhere he can, as often as he can. I might even take out $100 worth of ads in order to provide additional pressure with the aim of obtaining relief from GFC. Every site where he can review. And coming back to it to keep it fresh. As is his duty in the libertarian utopia.

Not that I really want to live in a world like that, but to deny we do is foolishness.

I hear you.

Personally, I think it’s 100% GFCs right to charge the $200 restock fee, even if there is nothing to restock and I really don’t agree with it. But it’s not my company.

It’s also, 100% the OPs right to vent.

I’m very Libertarian, boarderline anarchist, and would love to see a world like that.

But if GFC wants to maintain a good reputation they need to act accordingly. You catch more flys with honey and what not.

But again, like you point out, the market right now does not necessarily demand they offer customer service.

I don’t care if they go under, or if they succeed. But competition and drama is good for me, the consumer. So I’ll stoke that fire a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I wonder if Cody had erroneously personalized this issue by comparing GFC with his own business and experiences? If this is the case he has compared apples to oranges thus arriving at faulty conclusion.

It seems Cody's business is customized fabrication, which is highly complex and individualized for each customer. Once his project starts he really doesn't know everything he will run into until he starts pulling everything apart or putting all the pieces back together. Add all the parts in different stages of production or on order and it easy to see in his business that a delay could be perceived as normal and a canceled order can definitely cost him in a number of ways. I know first hand that trying to get custom auto work done on exact time is simply unreasonable expectation. As a matter of fact, on any custom work I have done, I am patient with delays as I want the builders to take their time and have it perfect.

But, this is the big BUT sandwich, GFC is NOT a custom fabricator. They are a production shop cranking out the exact specs on their products day in and day out. They have none of the financial risks Cody's business has in doing custom fabrication. Because of this Cody should not import GFC's customers expectations to his own business, which I believe he has done and why he is defensive.

So Cody, relax, don't take OP's complaint and way to resolve it so personally....your business is totally different so not apples to apples comparison.

CodyY

Explorer
Couple things and I'll bow out so you guys can continue with your very serious discussion.

- The customer is always right, except when they're not.

- If you think this a hill I've "chosen to die on" you are sadly mistaken. Somebody else's $200 to a company I've only seen their products on social media? Ha! What I do is indeed different from what GFC does, so like I've said repeatedly above; as a business owner its my stance the customer should have to pay a penalty for cancelation of custom work to discourage tire-kickers. Those items are made to fit a particular vehicle, in a particular color, with user-defined options, therefore its custom work IMO.

- If the word n00b is now a personal attack, well I didn't get the memo and I apologize if it hurt somebody's feelings.

- the internet used to be a place where you could call someone out for BS, be a smartass (not mean or personal), and have a little fun. Apparently 2020 has ruined that also

- I haven't said anything here I wouldn't say to your face, over a beer, by a campfire with a wink and a smile.

- a couple of you said you would burn me online for this post, where we have never engaged in any business together or even discussed anything about doing business. Really classy of you. I'm not editing or deleting anything, you do what you feel you need to.

- lastly, if anyone wants to psycoanalize me, feel free to see me at aforementioned campfire I'll have a drink waiting for ya.

I'll crawl back under my welding hood where I now belong.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Louisd75

Adventurer
.... Those items are made to fit a particular vehicle, in a particular color, with user-defined options, therefore its custom work IMO.

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on what "custom" work is. What you do, I'd consider custom. What they do is no different than ordering a new vehicle. Everything is bolt on, you're just checking off which parts you want bolted on. The only area that I would consider "custom" is if you opt for a custom paint job. But, to each their own. I've had a chance to see them in person, as well as AluCab's camper and personally I think people are paying a premium for something that I just don't agree with the value of, but nobody is making me spend my money :)

Corkster

Cody, perhaps we can get to consensus if we consider whether a delay of any length is acceptable. For instance if GFC misses delivery by 5 years and the buyer cancels their order out of frustration would they then be liable for $200? If this is not ok, why is 2 months ok? At what point is failing to do your job and meet commitments acceptable? I appreciate the OP posting their experience as it gives insight into GFC’s customer service (or lack thereof)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Their policy clearly states its a $500 restocking fee.

That alone speaks volumes about how they conduct business. Almost a year waiting list. There is no "Re-Stocking" of anything... Just sleezy verbiage to get easy $

Sorry the OP got hosed, but zero sympathy for someone that gives their business to shady places in the first place.

Havent tons of these popped up used because they leak like a sieve anyway?

GHI

Adventurer
I’ve completely lost track of who is sticking up for who/what? I can see both sides while admitting I don’t know what I don’t know.

Losing $200 would annoy me. So much so that I’d spend double on backlash. I keep seeing that why shouldn’t the OP get a refund for a product not yet built.

However, what are the circumstances for the company? Did they spend 2,3,7 hours talking to the customer to figure out the end product of what was desired? Would those hours warrant a restocking fee/time is money fee? I think some of you unfairly flamed that one guy who appeared, to me, to just see it how he sees it.

Louisd75

Adventurer
I’ve completely lost track of who is sticking up for who/what? I can see both sides while admitting I don’t know what I don’t know.

Losing $200 would annoy me. So much so that I’d spend double on backlash. I keep seeing that why shouldn’t the OP get a refund for a product not yet built.

However, what are the circumstances for the company? Did they spend 2,3,7 hours talking to the customer to figure out the end product of what was desired? Would those hours warrant a restocking fee/time is money fee? I think some of you unfairly flamed that one guy who appeared, to me, to just see it how he sees it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding GFC's website, it's all digital until your turn at which point they call you.

ChrisCosta416

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't GFC send out swatches for their campers - and ask you to spec out what you want and how you want it built?

Sorry to hear that I’ve heard more bad then good from that company.I was going to place an order also but decided not to when I discovered super pacific which is a new company.Same concept but appears to be made of superior products and a lot more mom and pop family passionate based customer service from what I’ve seen.Good luck on the next build on what you decide to go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My SuperPacific is almost ready for pickup. Great company to do business with. I was convinced to go with them after speaking with the owner, Spencer, for over an hour! In addition, they were delayed on my build due to a QC fitting issue, so they discounted me all the upgrades. Forget GFC - SuperPacific all the way! Superior build quality, 100% made and sourced in Portland (all components), awesome customer service, and an ethical company. That’s how they earned my business. You guys should drop GFC and their ridiculous build time queue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazysccrmd

Observer
My SuperPacific is almost ready for pickup. Great company to do business with. I was convinced to go with them after speaking with the owner, Spencer, for over an hour! In addition, they were delayed on my build due to a QC fitting issue, so they discounted me all the upgrades. Forget GFC - SuperPacific all the way! Superior build quality, 100% made and sourced in Portland (all components), awesome customer service, and an ethical company. That’s how they earned my business.

I can say the exact same stuff about my experiences with GFC. It will be interesting to see what happens with Super Pacific when the face the same dilemmas as GFC with growth and production capabilities.

WOODY2

Adventurer
I can say the exact same stuff about my experiences with GFC. It will be interesting to see what happens with Super Pacific when the face the same dilemmas as GFC with growth and production capabilities.
Hopefully they can avoid similar issues by not taking orders so far in future. This type of problem isn't unique to the camper/RTT industry. Best of luck to all in these lines of business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne