Go Fast Campers ripoff

We're just relying on the OP's information and POV. Most of those who've followed GFC for years (I have unit #48) know of the myriad production problems they've had to cope with. You'd have to have your head in the sand or failed to the due diligence to not realize the situation. Presently, their production is humming along trying to keep pace with the demand.
If you go on the GFC forum you'll see that people are begging for an earlier production date. There are those who even offer as much 1K to trade up for a better position.

GFC must be doing something right because they've far out produced any of their relevant competitors. Surely you know about the hinge issue? Well.... that was a problem but they've solved it and are retrofitting hundreds of earlier units that have the old hinges free of charge. They even have a traveling road repair unit that's gone all over the US doing the retrofits.
GFC must be doing something right because they've far out produced any of their relevant competitors. Surely you know about the hinge issue? Well.... that was a problem but they've solved it and are retrofitting hundreds of earlier units that have the old hinges free of charge. They even have a traveling road repair unit that's gone all over the US doing the retrofits.
This is really beyond what I've ever known of in the way of product support from a small startup company.

Sorry, I still see your argument as reductio ad absurdum

I am not disputing any of those things that you noted and quite frankly I agree with you. I had a camper built summer of 2020 and am about to have another one built by GFC. But just because those things are true, doesn’t negate the fact that GFC dropped the ball on the OP IF they did charge him $200 on a product that they couldn’t deliver on despite 3 different timelines. I can only speak from personal experience, GFC has been great to deal with despite all the chaos of COVID. So I would find it hard to believe that they would tell someone to pound sand when they are still working out the kinks of their own product. But IF they did tell him to pound sand, then that’s screwed up. I would think that they would have told him to list his reservation on the GFC forum and someone would have bought it within mins/hours.

@MNmtb I agree with you and because of the OP failing to respond further, this reads as a hit job. The moderators ought to close this thread.

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
Some of you need to seriously stop speaking on things that you have no clue what your talking about. GFC carries no debt as a company and has plenty of cash on hand. Every camper is paid in full before it goes into production, which covers all their costs for that camper: materials, labor, and so on. They are not hurting for cash. Given their long wait time, they take a small percentage of the total cost of the item to insure the customer is serious. Without any type of deposit, the production list would get severely screwed up if the customer didn’t have any skin in the game because they could just back out—no big deal if just one person does such, but it becomes a big problem when you have dozens of people doing such.

It is refreshing to see someone employ some philosophy terms :) But I don’t see his argument being fallacious. It is a perfect example of a reductio ad absurdum because at some point an excess period of time that greatly misses the companies original deadline for a product warrants customers to demand their money back. It would be absurd to state otherwise. If GFC said from the get go that it would take 18 months, then that’s one thing. But everyone was under impression that it would ship this year—now it is beginning of next year (hopefully). Regardless of what contract you signed, if the company has changed the date multiple times on you, then they should refund your money. Just because you signed a contract, does not give the company justification to change the date on you multiple times. No just judge in America would side with a company in a court case if they have missed their deadline 3 times over an interval of many months.

I will say that threads like this don’t tend to be useful. For one, GFC is not on here to defend themselves. Whether you like GFC or not, any party accused of something should have an opportunity to defend themselves. So we have to take what the OP said is completely accurate—maybe it is or maybe it isn’t. Moreover, you get other people pilling on this thread because they despise GFC and their prosperity and/or just don’t know what they are talking about. I am not discounting the constructive feedback given by other business owners—I agree with you all. Just because you sign a contract does not mean that you just tell the customer to kick rocks (especially when the deadline changes are the business’s fault)—that’s what separates good from great companies.

Getting off point here, but how do you know they carry no debt?

Either way, as a contractor, if I asked for payment up front before services are rendered, I wouldn’t have a single client.

GFC is operating under the same business plan of most failed manufacturing operations. If you want to to succeed, you pay for manufacturing first, then sell your product at a profit.

Asking your customers to carry your overhead up front is ridiculous for anything other than high end custom work.

Either way, GFC has zero stance to charge a fee at this point based on what the OP has posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model97

After placing an order and paying full amount up front in excess of $1500 I was informed of a two month delay then subsequently informed of another two month delay. When refund was requested I was penalized $200 for a restocking fee for a product that was never in stock to begin with. Shady way to treat a customer and I will never do business with this outfit again. GFC could have at least offered a full refund for a product they were not able to deliver without substantial unadvertised delays. BEWARE GFC
Restocking fee on nothing that exists. That's rich.

highwest

I don’t think what GFC did is right, but it’s not like they lied to the guy. I pulled this from the website:

The Standard GFC Platform deposit is a non-refundable $500 that will be put toward the final purchase price.

The only timeline listed on the payment page is an estimated build date. No commitments/promises.

Nathansharkey80

I won’t support a company that screws the customer like this. And I will also not support those people who support that company for screwing the customer. The restocking fee is a cash grab and is absolutely greedy and underhanded. It removes the element of a deal where both parties are acting in good faith. Will be absolutely checking usernames on this thread to make sure I never support anyone who supports this terrible company.

Will be absolutely checking usernames on this thread to make sure I never support anyone who supports this terrible company.

Yea, send GFC defenders to the Gulag why don’t you. That’s why this thread is a joke and ought to be closed. Because of a single post that we don’t know whether is valid or not (I am not defending what GFC did IF what the OP posited is true), YOU are going to blacklist users. I am glad you have never associated yourself with any person or company that has never did something wrong and made mistake—what a perfect man you must be.

Nathansharkey80

Yea, send GFC users to the Gulag why don’t you. That’s why this thread is a joke and ought to be closed. Because of a single post that we don’t know whether is valid or not (I am not defending what GFC did IF what the OP posited is true), some are going to blacklist users. I am glad you have never associated yourself with any person or company that has never did something wrong and made mistake—what a perfect man you must be.

Everyone makes mistakes. How they fix them is what sets them apart. Charging a restocking fee for the product after they delayed it is not a mistake. It is a willful abuse of consumer trust. You support that, then I can’t support you either. This thread is not a joke and is very valuable for customers to see when choosing who they want to give their money to.

Everyone makes mistakes. How they fix them is what sets them apart. Charging a restocking fee for the product after they delayed it is not a mistake. It is a willful abuse of consumer trust. You support that, then I can’t support you either. This thread is not a joke and is very valuable for customers to see when choosing who they want to give their money to.

And again, you have no clue what GFC offered to do to fix the problem.

Nathansharkey80

And again, you have no clue what GFC offered to do to fix the problem.

According to the original poster, they offered to charge him a restocking fee. Unless the original poster is a liar, then this is unacceptable. If the original poster is a liar, you would think that the GFC would be all over this thread defending their reputation. If they aren’t, well then they should be answering for their piss poor customer service sooner rather than later.

MNmtb

I won’t support a company that screws the customer like this. And I will also not support those people who support that company for screwing the customer. The restocking fee is a cash grab and is absolutely greedy and underhanded. It removes the element of a deal where both parties are acting in good faith. Will be absolutely checking usernames on this thread to make sure I never support anyone who supports this terrible company.

Wow! Just Wow!

So let me get this straight. if I were a satisfied GFC customer, which I am assuming there are quite a few, and say I support GFC based on my experience, you would blacklist me?

yeah, that seems fair.

Given your stated stance on this matter I think it is safe to assume you would still feel this way even if they did give the OP his $200 back now. “Oh they just gave him his full deposit because they had to not because they wanted to”. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t “

I agree that this thread has now reached its nadir and time to close it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94