Go big or go home:

MTVR

1000arms, the cab of our MTVR came with three rifle mounts (one on the driver's door, and two on the passenger door). The left one will probably be for the M4 carbine that I carried as a cop, and one on the right will probably carry my wife's Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16.

We have changed out the fasteners on the machinegun hatch so that it can be removed without tools. Ultimately we will probably replace the hatch with a thick circle of smoked plexiglass or something.

In any case, I have shown my wife the videos of the attack on Reginald Denny- if anyone tries to block our path to ambush us, they're getting run over, and if anyone climbs onto our truck and tries to get in, they're getting shot.

rruff

Explorer
My young wife and I are retired, and this is a marriage team-building project. It is the third major life project we've done in about the last five years or so... :)

I've managed to get my young wife to help me fiberglass the larger panels and help me move them when done. That's about the extent of her "interest" though...

MTVR

I've managed to get my young wife to help me fiberglass the larger panels and help me move them when done. That's about the extent of her "interest" though...
She's tiny, so I do most of the heavy lifting, but she's absolutely a driving force in this project. I could have just as easily done a Sprinter van, but when I showed her the MTVR online, she had to have one.

coastalcop

1000arms, the cab of our MTVR came with three rifle mounts (one on the driver's door, and two on the passenger door). The left one will probably be for the M4 carbine that I carried as a cop, and one on the right will probably carry my wife's Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16.

We have changed out the fasteners on the machinegun hatch so that it can be removed without tools. Ultimately we will probably replace the hatch with a thick circle of smoked plexiglass or something.

In any case, I have shown my wife the videos of the attack on Reginald Denny- if anyone tries to block our path to ambush us, they're getting run over, and if anyone climbs onto our truck and tries to get in, they're getting shot.

"Lexan" of the scratch resistant variety (there are several) Plexiglass breaks too easily and doesnt offer the flex of lexan type materials. Probably like you, I have bounced a halligan off lexan on what should have been an easy break and rake to introduce the deftech-25, made me a believer in the material.

On the inward swinging door, even a sliding "barn door" on the outside wall will cut down on water/dust getting inside. As wind/water push against an outward swing, the force pushes the seal closer together, inward it pushes farther apart. For reference the rear door to my house was damaged in a hurricane, it was outward swinging. I replaced with an inward swinging (as the dimensions would fit) . Fast forward to the first medium thunderstorm (15-20 mph winds/rain) , and water intrusion was an issue. Ended up replacing with another outward swing and t corrected the issue.

For a repeat of Denny, Im not sure where your mind would have to be to stand in front of, or try an approach that build, I mean thats making the jump from merely stupid to suicidal !

Really enjoying watching the build ;)

1000arms

@MTVR any more plans on your truck cab machine-gun-hatch/sunroof/wind-deflector? :cool:
... We have changed out the fasteners on the machinegun hatch so that it can be removed without tools. Ultimately we will probably replace the hatch with a thick circle of smoked plexiglass or something. ...

Now she wants me to turn the machinegun hatch into a sunroof
I think you need at least one T-shirt with your quote printed out on it! :cool:
Let's see, your quote on the side of your camper, a photograph of your truck going over a pile of rioters, and you would have the basis of a great T-shirt! :cool:

Hmm, it probably doesn't help that I recently re-watched:

and

Last edited:

Alloy

Most anoying building my camper was not able to use a level. Everything had to be measured from multiple points. I even made a 4’ triangle cut from a plywood to use as giant framing square.
Before construction, Solidly leveling the deck was going to be more hassle than just measuring the crap out of everything.
Dunno about driving. I built shutters what are closed before moving. Primarily to protect glass from tree branches & stones, but they are insanely cute when parked, swing them open and place flowerboxes on the sill.
Regardless my vinyl Milgard Windows dont leak in strong weather. That weakness surprised me too. My endwall is 7’6” wide, the door opening centered is 4’wide. The header is about 8”, 2x3 framing. Exterior is sheeted with a textured 3/8” OSB. Interior is sheeted 3/4” plywood. That piece horizontally so the ’header’ and side ’wings’ are all one piece down 4’ from ceiling, then smaller 3/4 plywoods finish down to the floor.
With the doors shut, I managed to measure about 1/4” racking motion driving a bumpy road.
Btw,
That 4’ door. I want ability to load ATV or something large. What also means no interior cabinets fixed at that end of the house either what would reinforce that big opening.
If I used that camper more, I would consider adding diagonal wires across the opening or similar to attach before moving.
As aside,
That door is probably best feature of the camper.
Its outward swing double dutch door. Properly done on lift-off hinges too ! Each leaf 2’wide.
Its great to sit there, fresh morning air drinking coffee with the top segments open, seeing the sights and playing with my willie without the neighbors looking in.
Alloy, your point about the stairs is valid, but the stairs are good exercise for us.

My wife designed the floorplan, and after many many different floor plans were drawn up, this is what worked best for us. It also takes advantage of the platform in between the cab and box, which will serve as our front porch.

In swing is easier to reinforce than out swing. For starters, the hinges are on the inside. I have served as a breacher on an entry team, and I'd much rather take out external hinges or pull an out swing door with a Halligan tool, than to try to breach something like what we're putting together here.

And our two mini front walls are going to be massively strong, once we fill the stud bays completely with 3.5" thick 25 psi rigid R24 polyiso foam board, foamed in place with urethane foam, and 3/4" plywood screwed and bonded to it inside and out with PL Premium Fast Grab urethane construction adhesive and then completely encapsulated inside and out with three coats of West System marine-grade epoxy. Plus, those two mini-walls are only PART of the lateral support for the box. The bathroom wall, the garage wall, the kitchen counter and overhead cabinets, the bedroom armoire, the gun safe, the battery box, and just about everything inside that runs perpendicular to the walls, is going to be a structural member.
Make sure to have railings on the stairs. Actually seen more accidents on stairs than (secured) ladders. My guess is people pay more attention getting on a ladder.

The inner door will be a water bucket. A roof extension might help.

As to the shear walls the connection from the wall sill plate maybe the weakest. I understand the construction is bulletproof but that = weight......which is up high on rigid suspension.

MTVR

You are making good progress you must be happy to see it taking shape

Yes, we are thankful. I am nearly 60, and I've never done this before, so things are not happening as quickly as I'd like...but they are happening.

I had my young wife quit her job, so the two of us are now working about five days a week on it, but we get up when we feel like it, we work on it at a relaxed pace until it gets hot out, and then we pack it in. Some days we work through the hot part of the day, and some nights we work on it again when the sun gets lower before sunset, but we're trying to keep it fun...

MTVR

We're still shopping for a hinge for our drawbridge, but once all the exterior walls are on, we're gonna be getting after getting the epoxy on, to waterproof the exterior. Lugging all these tarps back up every night after a hard day's work is a real drag...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier