Go big or go home:

MTVR

Thanks for the input, guys.

My wife also, thinks that we should do tires right before we leave. But one way or another, I intend for us to begin our journey by winter, so I don't see how it makes a lot of difference when we do tires.

MTVR

Been fettling various minor issues relating to the removal of the cab armor prior to this vehicle going to auction- seat and seatbelt mounting issues, as well as the nearly 60 empty bolt holes left over. All the seatbelts are now bolted in properly and the passenger seats are bolted in. The driver's seat is partially secured for now, and will be bolted down properly after all of the holes are plugged. I've got a new air suspension seat valve coming to replace the leaking one that's in the truck now.

Of the approximately 30 external lights, I found three that were not working. Two of them were just dirty connections and are working now. And I've got bulbs en-route to get the last one up and running.

Gurvan

The wife and I are trying to come into agreement regarding the length of the container. I'd like to just use a standard 20-foot container, but she wants to use one that has been cut down and rewelded to a shorter length, around 14 feet (the bed is 14 feet long).

Have you checked into www.blissmobil.com ? If you have that kind of money, that may very well fit the bill for you as you already have the ISO loading points...

MTVR

Replaced the seat air valve so that the driver's air suspension seat...works.

Raised the seat, plugged the last of the holes in the floor under it, bolted the driver's seat down properly, and then spent the rest of yesterday afternoon cutting a 4'x6' 3/4" thick black rubber horse stall mat to cover the floor with, including under the seats.

My 21-ton alloy steel bolt-through M113/MRAP/HEMTT bumper shackles arrived, as did my 100,000-pound kinetic recovery strap.

I feel like we're getting stuff done, but I can't wait to start building our box...

1000arms

I recently purchased a 2007 Oshkosh MTVR. We intend to convert it into an overland expedition type vehicle and do full-time RV living.

For those not familiar with the MTVR, it is an all-terrain military 6x6 truck built for the U.S. Marine Corps, and it is...big- nearly 12 feet tall. MTVR occupants look down into 18-wheel tractor-trailer rigs on the highway. It's powered by an 11.9 liter (730 cubic inch) Caterpillar turbodiesel that puts out 425 horsepower and 1,550 pound-feet of torque. The tires are 53" tall, and weigh 500 pounds each. The truck weighs about 30,000 pounds empty, and with a GVWR of 62,200 pounds, has a rated payload capacity of 30,000 pounds. It can ford five feet of water.

It's also much more sophisticated than the older/smaller 2-1/2 ton and 5-ton trucks- the MTVR has a heavy-duty 7-speed Allison automatic transmission, a single-speed transfer case, full-time all-wheel-drive, coil-sprung fully independent suspension, central tire inflation, beadlocks, ABS, traction control, power steering, air-ride seats, can easily do 65mph, and the late-model ones like mine even have air conditioning.

The U.S. government originally paid about $250,000 for it. After they put about 3,000 miles on it, I was able to purchase it at auction for $15,500. The tubeless Michelin radial tires still look like new.View attachment 575282View attachment 575283
I think I found an appropriate water tank for you! :cool: See:

1000arms

Lol, no need...
Your camper, 675 pounds of water-tank, about 10 tons of water, and still under payload! o_O

Heck, you could dump 15000 pounds of water, go off-road, and, at least in low-humidity areas, skip the AC to run the swamp-cooler from hell! :cool:

Of course I had to post a link, just build a bed-frame that rests on the tank! :)

MTVR

We were considering building our box out of bricks, but I can't afford to hire a stone mason to do it for me, lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier