Go big or go home:

MTVR

I have been waiting for somebody to do a build on this platform. KUDOS to you for taking this on! I'll be watching this one. One thought is to height on an already super tall vehicle: have you thought of doing a hard sided pop up? Maybe a chopped down ISO container with a lid lift to keep the height under control? You are 12 high as is (about as high as most 1 ton truck campers out there).

These trucks are designed and equipped to transport standard-sized containers, so I'm expecting that it will be below the legal maximum height for on-road use.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
that's going to be an absolute monster! how big are the fuel tanks? I'd guess being built for the military it has a good range and is probably not meant to go much over 60.

one concern / future project for my kodiak is to add another tank, or maybe dual saddle tanks in addition to the rear between the frame. mine 'should' get better than 12mpg but still limits my range as-is

jcdostie

These trucks are designed and equipped to transport standard-sized containers, so I'm expecting that it will be below the legal maximum height for on-road use.

I don’t know about Oshkosh frame height, but for me, on a M923A2, it’s 47 inches. Add a regular ISO container of 8’6’’ and you’re at 12’6’’. Legal wise is 13’6’’
Enough room for fixing it on the frame

Axles are to be moved backwards
JC
7bd7345722fd9044aa1c33bd922a0ebe.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

MTVR

that's going to be an absolute monster! how big are the fuel tanks? I'd guess being built for the military it has a good range and is probably not meant to go much over 60.

one concern / future project for my kodiak is to add another tank, or maybe dual saddle tanks in addition to the rear between the frame. mine 'should' get better than 12mpg but still limits my range as-is

The MTVR has an 80 gallon fuel tank. The military rates it at 4.5 mpg, but I suspect that is off-road with a full load. Others have reported 6 mpg or so on the highway, which would equate to roughly a 500 mile range.

I'm not to concerned about fuel mileage or fuel range- we can afford the fuel, and we intend to relax and take our time exploring. If we needed to extend our range, we could simply start loading 5-gallon fuel jugs in the "garage" area.

MTVR

My EUC paperwork was approved by the government, so I am now authorized to take delivery. Currently shopping for a truck to transport it for me.

MTVR

I will feel more comfortable answering questions like that once the vehicle is in my hands. So far, things appear to have gone well, but I haven't actually seen the truck that I bought yet.

No, you do not need to have vehicles shipped to you. I chose to have mine trucked up to me, because it currently has no license plates, registration, or insurance, and until I convert it to a motorhome, it's 62,200 pound GVWR would require a CDL to operate on public roads, and I don't have one.

Last edited:

MTVR

Today we took delivery of our MTVR. We filled the fuel tank, road-tested it around in a giant empty parking lot, and then took it home and tucked it in for the night.

A buddy of mine served in the Marines and has substantial experience with the MTVR. After driving this one and crawling all over it, he described it as "brand new", and said it was obviously issued to someone who simply never used it.

Once my wife and I come into agreement on the container length, we'll buy that and start building it out...

Last edited:

MTVR

If it were me... I'd sell it and buy a "9 series" with a Cummins 6CTAA with an mechanical Allison and a 2 speed transfer case. Your truck like LMTV's & FMTV's are/ were fleet vehicles (why do you think you and the LMTV folks got thier rigs for so cheap)?!?!?! They are always followed by big wreckers. If you don't believe me... Than I HOPE YOU HAVE A BUTT LOAD MONEY IN YOUR "TRACTOR FUND"!!!!

I hate to disappoint you, buddy, but it appears that every single gadget on this nearly new truck works, from the ABS to the Air-Conditioning.

And the 425 horsepower and 1,550 pound-feet of torque certainly makes the 11.9-liter MTVR feel much peppier than the 240 horsepower and 745 pound-feet of torque that the little 8.3-liter M939 has to make do with...

Last edited:

jcdostie

Have fun with it and keep posting your project.
Have you done some layouts of the inside of the container ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles