Go big or go home:

1000arms

If you do use a 20' container, I suggest thinking about having a "deck/porch", on top of the container, to be able to sit/eat/cook with potential for a phenomenal view. You might be high enough up to catch a breeze that doesn't touch the ground in some areas, which is nice for keeping the bugs away.
... If we do, I'd want to be able to have a removable railing system that I could install when we're parked, to make safer to be up there.
Although lower than the roof, check out the original post of https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ld-slide-pop-or-otherwise-open-out-up.116279/

MTVR

Check my post on Steelsoldiers. I intend to do the same with mine. I should start soon

www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?threads/Overland-5-ton-camper-with-a-20%27-container.187139/&share_type=t

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Yes, I read your thread.

Like you, we are considering how much container we can fit.

The 7-ton is taller than the 5-ton, so we should be able to tolerate more rear overhang relative to our departure angle, but like you, we are considering how far forward we can mount the container.

The exhaust and air intake should be easy enough to address.

We could remove the exhaust, and carry a "fording" attachment for it, should we ever need to actually ford 60" of water.

We could "section" the front of the container to make room for the air intake snorkel.

If we remove the vertical portion of the front of the bed, we could then slide the container forward, to within a few inches of the cab, leaving the vent hoses and transmission standpipe between the cab and box.

Ultimately, my wife would like sealed doors in the cab and box to create a pass-through. This pass-through may not necessarily be a sealed walk-through, although I may at least have a rain deflector above the pass-through doors so that we don't get wet when using the pass-through in inclement weather.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I recently purchased a 2007 Oshkosh MTVR.
>>>
The U.S. government originally paid about $250,000 for it. After they put about 3,000 miles on it, I was able to purchase it at auction for $15,500. The tubeless Michelin radial tires still look like new.

This is a very interesting vehicle, but with the most horrific depreciation I've ever known for a vehicle that's only covered about 3,000 miles in 200 hours over 13 years and (presumably) been very well maintained and very lightly used!

That apart, what an absolute gem of a find for $15,500 in such outstanding condition, the engine is barely run in!

With considerate use and routine maintenance the vehicle should last very well. Subscribed.

drrobinson

Interesting project.

Honest question here-
I take it you are North America based and that vehicle is not shippable. Where can you actual take a 17 ton vehicle legally without destroying the environment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MTVR

Interesting project.

Honest question here-
I take it you are North America based and that vehicle is not shippable. Where can you actual take a 17 ton vehicle legally without destroying the environment?

We are based in North America, and we do not intend to ship it abroad. We've already done our world travels- now we wish to use this vehicle to explore the rest of our own country...

MTVR

...and I don't understand what you mean by "17 ton". It's just about 15 tons empty, and has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of a little over 31 tons.

I'm just spit-balling here, but by the time we are done, I'm expecting it to weigh roughly 20 tons as a motorhome...

drrobinson

...and I don't understand what you mean by "17 ton". It's just about 15 tons empty, and has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of a little over 31 tons.

I'm just spit-balling here, but by the time we are done, I'm expecting it to weigh roughly 20 tons as a motorhome...

Just giving you 4000 lbs. to fit it out ;)

drrobinson

We are based in North America, and we do not intend to ship it abroad. We've already done our world travels- now we wish to use this vehicle to explore the rest of our own country...

That’s what I assumed. I was just trying to think of a place that would require the capabilities of that truck that you could legal go in the USA where it wouldn’t tear up the environment.

But hey, regardless, it seems like a really interesting project and I wish you the best.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I have been waiting for somebody to do a build on this platform. KUDOS to you for taking this on! I'll be watching this one. One thought is to height on an already super tall vehicle: have you thought of doing a hard sided pop up? Maybe a chopped down ISO container with a lid lift to keep the height under control? You are 12 high as is (about as high as most 1 ton truck campers out there).

MTVR

A custom gun safe, that's the best addition I've ever heard to an expedition vehicle, just have a contingency plan when you come visit us up here in Canada, lots of great area for you to explore here.

Yeah, the safe was custom-built for this project.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Looking forward to following along,

I have been looking in doing the same with a box truck, on a medium duty 4x4 chassis. I had originally ruled out surplus, the majority have a top speed of 55.

You may end up changing my mind,

Hopefully sent from somewhere pretty and remote. With my entertainment and navigation multitool

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier